The SEC is 4-0 in the NCAA Tournament so far

How much better is the SEC this year? Not only did a record eight teams make the NCAA Tournament, all four that played yesterday won, tying the league record for most wins in a single day. Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida all advanced to the second round, an especially impressive stat when you compare it to the other conferences.

The ACC went 1-3 yesterday, with Miami, NC State, and Virginia Tech all falling. Meanwhile, thanks to Arizona, UCLA, and Arizona State, the PAC-12 is completely out of the tournament in the first round for the first time since 1986. In fact, according to ESPN Stats and Info, this is the first time since the formation of the Big 12 in 1996-97 that one of the six major conferences has failed to send a team to the round of 32.

Here are the SEC games on tap for today:

Time Game Network
12:15 PM (7) Texas A&M vs. (10) Providence CBS
3:10 PM (7) Arkansas vs. (10) Butler TruTV
7:27 PM (4) Auburn vs. (13) Charleston TruTV
9:50 PM (8) Mizzou vs. (9) Florida St. TBS

And Saturday:

Time Game Network
12:10 PM (9) Alabama vs. (1) Villanova CBS
5:15 PM (13) Buffalo vs. (5) Kentucky CBS
6:10 PM (11) Loyola vs. (3) Tennessee TNT
8:40 PM (6) Florida vs. (3) Texas Tech TNT

The SEC really does mean more.

[mobile_ad]

26 Comments for The SEC is 4-0 in the NCAA Tournament so far

1. Whitey1828
    10:59 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

ASU not USC

2. Mathlete
    10:59 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

The SEC could make up a full 25% of the field by the end of the day today… I guess we’re a basketball conference too now?

• foamfinger
      11:10 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

That push a few years ago to improve SEC basketball seems to have worked. Honestly, I didn’t think it would be that effective, but hats off to ADs around the conference for making good hires (except Bruce Pearl) and creating schedules that make teams better.

• Miller45
      4:35 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

yep. there is so much concentrated high quality talent that are staying in state

• Miller45
      4:38 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

all the media and anchors are blindly married to the big 12. I’m sorry but if the same team wins regular season conference for 14 years straight, that is not a good conference folks

3. onthefritz76
    11:00 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I’m thinking the SEC might go 0-4 today

4. Breeze13
    11:16 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I live in ACC country. I always get flack when I tell people that the almighty ACC is really just a top-heavy, mediocre conference, and that the SEC is better than people think. Hopefully, the games today will continue to prove my point.

• callitlikeiseeit
      11:27 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Actually that is right, the top of the ACC at least has title contending teams. SEC is 4-0 but 3 were against low seeds. SEC is full of teams that are about 20-35 best in the country so not surprised. Due to upsets UK and UT got supposed easier paths to sweet 16 but as we have seen anyone can lose to anyone as no team is great.

• Mathlete
      3:42 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

@callitlikeiseeit – the SEC went 3-0 against low seeds in the first round yesterday, but doesn’t that mean that 3 SEC teams were high seeds? Because that’s how the brackets work, right?

Which means that they were good all year long and that they beat quality teams in the regular season too, right?

So if the SEC had 4 highly seeded teams (yesterday + Auburn at a 4) who beat good teams in the regular season, wouldn’t that indicate a pretty solid basketball conference?

5. toddsvobodafan
    11:27 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler Thompson-
    I’m sure you’re a good a writer and do your research, but how many errors must you continue to make? USC didn’t represent the PAC-12 this year in the NCAA Tournament. ASU, U of A, and UCLA did. A previous post you wrote that Zion Williamson chose to attend Clemson. What??! This was after he put that Duke hat on his head on National Television. What is going on?

6. Cals Hoverboard
    11:29 am March 16, 2018 Permalink

I keep waiting for BigBoard to post something calling out all those who have been crying about our upcoming game against mighty Arizona. How we were “screwed on our seed having to play them”, and “we stand NO chance against Arizona”, “Deandre Ayton (now Deandre Aint-in) will take us to the shed”. Come on BigBoard! Let em have it!

• UK Big Board Update
      4:29 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

LOL. I’ve been pretty busy with work and travelling back and forth to St. Louis for the tournament.

I just remember all the fans who wanted Gregg Marshall and Shaka Smart.

7. ccrab1984
    12:02 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Todd do you not comprehend English? Ksr has always followed the motto “facts are optional” take a chill pill relax and get a life!l??

• MrNoItAll
      12:53 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Maybe you’d be happier if you avoided this site. Nice handle.

8. BamaBlue
    12:10 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

With the success of the SEC so far , it does make the Cats look pretty good. Beyond that I couldn’t care less about any SEC team expect of course U.K. I have never understood why there are so many SEC homers out there every March. I check out a lot of their sites and all I see is their hatred of us.

9. toddsvobodafan
    1:17 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

@Mrs. Tyler Thompson

Personal attack. Awesome. And, extremely mature. I’d say I’m rather pleasant, but isn’t KSR the largest independent sports blog in the country? You’d think its writers would do a bit of fact checking before publishing anything. I’m more shocked that this is acceptable than anything.

• Mathlete
      1:22 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Wow! You’re not only pleasant, but humble too? Certainly the fun kind of person everyone wants to hang out with. Can I come to your tournament watch party this weekend?

• runningunnin.454
      1:23 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Like you missed the reply button? But, you never make mistakes, right?
      Right?

• J-Dub421
      1:29 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Like you didn’t basically start with a personal attack on Mrs. TT?

• Memphis UK Cat
      2:53 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

How should I start with your grammar. Personal attack is not a sentence. Awesome is not a sentence. And with a comma, wtf dude you are a grammar genius. I am tired after the first line.

10. UK Big Board Update
    4:30 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

MAN, I can’t wait until the KSR staff starts blocking people again.

11. Miller45
    4:38 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

i really feel like Alabama is going to knock out villanova, god I hope

12. Aar
    6:35 pm March 16, 2018 Permalink

Don’t mind too much that Arkansas was the first SEC team to not advance.