The Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon’s Friday Morning Wakeup

I am not a “natural runner.” You know the type: long legs, lean body, gliding along the ground effortlessly while holding a conversation and barely breaking a sweat. That ain’t me. I’m the short, curvy, determined one who can’t run without music and generally looks as though she’s on the verge of passing out. For all of these reasons, I avoided running like the plague growing up, choosing instead to swim, a sport in which you can’t feel your sweat and, most of the time, feel graceful and powerful, even if you’re the clumsiest person in the world.

So, if when I cross the finish line tomorrow at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon in Nashville, pardon me if I’m pretty damn proud. I hated running until about four years ago when I signed up for a couch-to-5K program with some friends, and honestly, I still hate from time to time; however, the competitor in me loves a challenge, and those brief, beautiful moments when the runner’s high kicks in were enough to get me to sign up for a half marathon. (Crazily enough, I actually hula hooped a half marathon five years ago, but running one feels like a totally different feat.) Eighteen weeks of training and too many blisters later, I can honestly say, if I’m not ready now, I may not ever be.

With lots of races going on this weekend, I’m sure many of you are in the same boat, so good luck to everyone running in the Rock ‘n’ Roll, Kentucky Derby Festival, and Cincinnati Flying Pig half and full marathons. Hopefully Mother Nature will give us a break.

Plenty to do before then, so let’s go over today’s agenda…

Calipari will publish another swaggy video of himself lifting weights

If you missed it yesterday, John Calipari posted a video of himself working out, and it may be the best thing we’ve seen all month. In the video, Cal — with Tyler Ulis by his side — vows to get in shape for next season and beyond, talking openly about being at Kentucky for another 20 years. Calipari has done plenty of swaggy things in his life, but this video may take the cake:

Calipari promised the video of him lifting weights would drop today, so stay tuned. In the meantime, what would it be like if Calipari stayed at Kentucky until he was 75? I’ll explore that topic later today.

I actually feel bad for Laremy Tunsil

The story of the NFL Draft wasn’t the two QBs going 1-2, it was offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil’s slide after someone hacked his Twitter and Instagram and posted videos of Tunsil smoking marijuana from a gas mask bong and incriminating text messages from Tunsil to Ole Miss assistant AD and manager of football operations John Miller asking for money. Tunsil eventually went 13th to the Miami Dolphins, but the leak cost him millions of dollars. Was Tunsil stupid for letting someone film him smoking weed? Absolutely. Are the texts between him and Miller a bad look? Certainly for Ole Miss. However, I couldn’t help feeling a little bad for the kid last night. What was supposed to be the culmination and celebration of hard work turned into an embarrassment, and it all gets worse when you find out it may have been his stepfather that did it. That’s just wrong.

In the scheme of things, the kid is still getting paid millions of dollars to play football and he’s going to live in Miami. The real loser here is Ole Miss, who is already under investigation by the NCAA, with some of the allegations pertaining to Tunsil. It’s going to be a really stressful day in Oxford.

Regardless, the NFL Draft continues today, but don’t expect any UK players to go until the later rounds tomorrow. For a breakdown of who may go where, check out Nick’s post from yesterday.

Three NBA Playoff games tonight

Patrick Patterson got his first playoff start earlier this week in Toronto’s win over Indiana. Will he start again tonight? Here are the times for tonight’s games, which could each decide who moves on to the next round:

• 7:30 p.m.: Raptors at Pacers, NBATV/ESPN News
  • 8:00 p.m.: Heat at Hornets, ESPN
  • 10:30 p.m.: Clippers at Trail Blazers, ESPN

KSR is live at Conway Heaton in Bardstown

Drop what you’re doing and drive on out to Conway Heaton at 810 N. 3rd Street in Bardstown to check out Shannon the Dude’s favorite Ford dealership, hear today’s show, and register for the chance to win Big Blue Madness tickets. It’s Friday, after all.

11 Comments for The Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon’s Friday Morning Wakeup

1. DREWBLUE
    10:03 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

How can you feel sorry for someone who did all that knowingly?

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:38 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I can feel sorry for the kid because someone is out to get him. **Can you honestly tell me that no other kids in the draft made the same choices he made while he was in college? I’m sure there are very few college athletes that smoke pot at least once and get questionable benefits from their team coaches. He should definitely bear the burden of all the things that everyone else does, but doesn’t have someone that cares enough to make them public.** (just in case it isn’t clear, **this** is sarcasm)

2. CB3UK
    10:59 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Feel bad? He’s been on the take since he set foot in Oxford. He was headed to Georgia for over two years, took a visit to Oxford and immediately flipped. I don’t feel bad for him at all. Stupid enough to keep hard evidence of this stuff, deal with the consequences. He’s getting ready to make millions, I’m sure he’s real torn up. I feel bad for Ole Miss fans. They have been down forever and finally glimpse success. They get a staff who is willing to do what it ACTUALLY takes to win in this conference, only to find out that their coaching staff and boosters are complete idiots and don’t know how to cheat. Right or wrong, at least they’re trying.

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:39 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

Wait… keeping the evidence is the stupid part? Let’s not actually hold him accountable for the actions/decisions – It’s just that keeping the evidence was stupid. ????

• CB3UK
      12:23 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

You live in a fantasy land. Wake up to the reality of the world and then embrace how to compete in it. The point is he can’t be held accountable…he’s gone.

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:29 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

Sorry, I refuse to live in a world where the problem is getting caught, rather than being accountable.

3. Souf beach Lou
    11:02 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I have been saying this for a while now and I’m glad Cal is taking better care of himself. He’s gotten fat, no disrespect towards him but he has. And I think it kills his energy. I’m glad he’s putting in the work to be “the best version of himself”.

4. Souf beach Lou
    11:17 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I feel bad for the kid and others like him because the players are always the ones who are vilified in the media who are always ambushed by media in the locker room after a big emotional game or after getting drafted and with a camera in their face have to be spot on perfect or else they get crushed. These are college kids who put their livelihood on the line to play for free for a bunch of wealthy boosters who wouldn’t give them the time of day were it not for the game they play and the uniform they wear. The hammer of public opinion always ends up falling hardest on the persons with the least. Not to mention the elephant in the room of race. Can anyone convince me that if Johnny manziel was black that he’d be walking free and making a mockery of life like he is now? So yeah I feel bad for the kid because he’s being forced to be held at a level that no one else is being asked to be accountable to

• Loother
      3:42 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

He’s getting what he deserves…

And there’s more from where that came from…

5. Bluebloodtoo
    11:44 am April 29, 2016 Permalink

I feel bad for the kid because his parental figures (at least one) are trying to sabotage his future to escape being accountable for their own actions. I feel bad for him because his parents are asking him to take care of them, instead of them trying to take care of him. If he’s asking his coach for money to pay his mom’s light bill, instead of asking his parents to help him pay for his rent. How do you expect a kid that was raised in these circumstances to turn out differently than he has? This is what the circumstances of his life has taught him. How is that his fault?

IMHO, it’s his parents that are to blame for where he is now; where he goes in the next 5 years is up to him.

6. BG Cat
    3:01 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

Good Luck Tyler, enjoy the Run!