The one team that prefers Okafor has the No. 1 pick

Exactly what we didn’t want to happen, happened. Minnesota received the first pick in the draft in tonight’s lottery over New York, Philadelphia and Los Angeles. The one team with Jahlil Okafor at No. 1 on its board is the team that will pick at No. 1, and Duke could soon have its fourth first overall selection, the most by any college basketball program.

However, though Flip Saunders prefers Jahlil Okafor over Karl-Anthony Towns today, there is still plenty of time for Towns to impress Saunders, while Okafor’s weaknesses are further exposed. I fully expect Towns to make a great impression in the weeks to come and overtake Okafor at the top spot. Towns is the right pick, Saunders just doesn’t know it yet.

But if Minnesota does indeed take Okafor first, Towns will team with Julius Randle in Los Angeles and that’s a duo we can all get behind. Not to mention, for Towns’ sake, Los Angeles over Minneapolis all day. It’s not even close.

But, man, it sure would be nice to see another Wildcat walk across the stage first, evening the score with Duke for most No. 1 picks. I guess it’s a win-win, although it’s still not New York.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for The one team that prefers Okafor has the No. 1 pick

1. WeareBBN
    9:51 pm May 19, 2015 Permalink

With all due respect Drew, I can care less if we have the number one overall pick….May be important to you, and Cal seems to think it is important, but I would rather have banner number 9. We should be about championships, not draft picks.

• JoeMoney333
      6:54 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

You act like those are exclusive. “You you hope UK’s players do well you obviously don’t care about national titles.” We didn’t win the title this year so let’s enjoy what we can right now instead of giving a pretentious soliloquy of what a real fan should want.

• symphonist41169
      8:15 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

So how much less can you care, BBN? Have to say I agree, though, since I don’t follow the NBA until the finals I could NOT care any less than I care right now.

• Al B. Frank
      9:14 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

WeareBBN: you realize the season’s over, right? Do you really think Cal doesn’t care about winning championships? We had a great season, we came up short, but that’s over. On to the next season… and right now the news is what’s happening in the “off-season,” if there is such a thing for UK Basketball. It’s possible to care about more than one thing, but please make it a point to post on every article and tell us how much you do or don’t care about it.

• J-Dub421
      9:50 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

We could use the bump to recruiting that having a #1 pick would likely give us right now. The higher our guys get drafted, the better it is for UK in the future. Other coaches pounced on our platoon system this season on the recruiting trail, getting our guys drafted highly will squash that argument in the future.

2. I Love It
    10:18 pm May 19, 2015 Permalink

Lots of ways to look at this. While I don’t really care about number 1 picks, its a cool, but menial, bragging point.

LA is preferable climate wise, but for a newly minted multimillionaire, get me the hell away from those Cali taxes. Plus, being able to be mentored by KG would be awesome for Karl.

On the Flip side, LA is LA, Kobe as a mentor and playing beside Julius would be cool. Plus, I think Karl and Kevin Love would complement each other really well.

I’m not sure how it will go, but I’m fine with it either way.

3. catdaddyd
    10:46 pm May 19, 2015 Permalink

As long as Towns doesn’t end up in that loser organization they call the Knicks, he will be fine. BTW Minnesota will have the last three number one overall picks.

4. reedwizard
    8:09 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

I agree with #1. I don’t see how two small statements make a pretentious soliloquy, but it pretty much echoed my thoughts. We didn’t get to see Brandon Knight play because he was in Minnesota, so why do we want to NOT see Karl play? For his sake, I hope he ends ups with the best team or best fit, even at the expense of the ballyhooed #1 pick.

• rockatao
      8:52 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

There’s a reason we never saw Knight play in Minnesota. He was never there.

5. UKfaninLou
    8:59 am May 20, 2015 Permalink

While the #1 pick is cool, I won’t be thrilled seeing Karl go to Minnesota where we may get to only see him play a few times all season. We can at least record the late night Lakers games on NBA TV. I look for J Randle to come back strong and having Kobe as a mentor would have to be amazing. Sorry but I have to root for Karl bring the #2 pick. #KATforROY2016