The Night Before Goodbye’s Wednesday News and Views

The University of Kentucky basketball roster will look a lot different tomorrow around 3:00 pm. As many as seven names will be erased, as that’s how many are expected to declare for the NBA Draft. There are already several legitimate reports that the Harrison twins and Dakari Johnson are gone, while a photo with a new car all but confirms Willie Cauley-Stein’s departure, and Karl-Anthony Towns would be crazy to stay considering he will likely be the No. 1 pick. That leaves Trey Lyles and Devin Booker, two mid-first round projections, who still give us hope, albeit small. Unfortunately, the chatter around campus is they too will declare for the draft.

But unlike last season, the process has been much faster this April, thankfully. We waited around until the end of the month to hear from the Harrison twins last year, but tomorrow we will find out the futures of all of Kentucky’s NBA prospects in one press conference. Should all seven of them say goodbye, we will wish them the best. If any of them announce a return, I may run out of the 2:30 pm press conference, screaming toward the other side of UK’s campus, while ripping off my shirt and throwing it at Alan Cutler. Let’s not count on that, though.

Just please remember, Big Blue Nation, when these guys announce they’re leaving, they aren’t turning their backs on the program; they’re living out their lifelong dreams. Be happy for them. Be thankful for their time here. Be thankful they went undefeated against Louisville. Be proud of how they represented UK. Be excited to see how they represent UK in the NBA. And wish them the best in their next stage of life.

And with that, some notes from the day…

Willie Cauley-Stein to have his limbs removed, assuming this is his new car and he plans to fit inside.

williecar

We cannot confirm this is Willie Cauley-Stein’s new car, but the timing of the photo and the price of the vehicle suggest it’s his first purchase after signing with an agent.

If it were me, I would’ve gone with something a little roomier, a lot less red, and definitely cheaper.

Everyone with an ear near the situation and a Twitter account is reporting the Harrison twins are gone.

Then late Wednesday night, Aaron Harrison favorited a fan’s tweet about his draft stock.

They’re gone, guys.

Someone made a Harrison twins tribute video.

I’m fine with anyone on the team going pro. Couldn’t be happier for them. Kentucky will be fine. But when we start looking back and setting it to music, that’s when the emotions kick in.

Mind if I cry real quick?

Dakari Johnson, also gone.

That, or the entire internet was misinformed.

The word is he was seriously torn, but the NBA wins out in the end.

Tyler Ulis is excited about next season.

Tyler Ulis is not nearly as excited about next season as his fans are to watch him next season. To steal from Coach Cal’s text message to Ulis, “Let’s rerun this.”

Cheick Diallo plans to meet with John Calipari next week.

And so it begins. Out with the old, in the with the new…

Cheick Diallo, the MVP of last week’s McDonald’s All-American game, plans to host Calipari for an in-home visit next week, Evan Daniels reports. He will also meet with Bill Self and Chris Mullins, the new head coach at St. John’s.

Diallo recently said minutes will matter to him in college. Well, he now has minutes at Kentucky.

Jaylen Brown trimmed his list to eight, Kentucky included.

Brown is down to California, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Georgia Tech, Kansas, UCLA, and UNC, as told by Brown in this “epic trailer” on Bleacher Report. He plans to announce a final decision by the end of the month.

Kentucky has trailed in Brown’s recruitment and he recently said he is “definitely going to an Adidas school” because of the relationship he’s built with the shoe brand on the AAU circuit.

John Calipari will not go down without a fight, however.

In case you missed it, I wrote why you shouldn’t worry about next season.

Give it a read here.

Moving on to some football news because, believe it or not, spring football is here…

There will be no indictments in that UK/EKU bar fight.

Good news for Kentucky football regarding the bar fight in Richmond back in January. The three players involved — Drew Barker, Dorian Baker and Tymere Dubose — will not be indicted by a grand jury. The grand jury chose not to indict any of the parties involved after hearing testimonies from witnesses and seeing evidence from the incident.

Mark Stoops talked quarterback competition after Wednesday’s practice.

“It’s a broken record,” Stoops explained, when asked about his QBs. “There’s good and bad and there is everyday. There are days when one or the other does separate himself, but not consistently, not every day. As I said throughout the spring and I saw it again today, we’re improving at that position. Both guys are improving. So that’s a good thing.”

“I know the old adage that if you have two you don’t have any, but I don’t believe that,” he continued, speaking about Towles and Barker, the only two active quarterbacks right now. “We believe that we can win with both of them.”

Rich Sherman stopped by Kentucky football practice to talk to the team.

Among the topics of discussion:

— How to be prepared when a team comes at you with a sorry receiver like Crabtree

— What to do when someone talks about you and the results they gonna get

— The new Beats By Dre wireless, noise-canceling headphones

Sam Malone and Tod Lanter will be guests on KSR tomorrow.

Tune in for some fun before the big press conference on campus.

Go Cats, everybody.

THE MASTERS START TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for The Night Before Goodbye’s Wednesday News and Views

1. Lip Man 1
    11:50 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

Wish all the players the best and thank them for their efforts but I honestly feel the Harrison twins and Johnson are making a serious mistake.

It’s their life though and they have to do what they think best for them however it turns out.

• Wildcat7
      12:07 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know if Johnson will get any better than he is now. Yes he lost weight which did help him with his speed but the big men we are after in the current class plus Skal, all have offensive post moves and are far more athletic than him. We all know he lacks post moves and doesn’t have strong hands either, but would he develop a post game between now and next season at UK, maybe… so I could see why he’s going now because the NBA (D-League of course) can at least help him with that plus he’d make money doing it. I just can’t see his stock to rise even more than it is now. But yes, I hope he and the Harrisons are making the right decisions; it is their lives.

2. Wildcat7
    11:59 pm April 8, 2015 Permalink

I know we can’t take them all but I would really like to get Brown, Zimmerman, Maker and probably Newman however I’ll take a 2nd year Booker over Newman (not likely that Booker stays). We are going to badly need a shooter next season and I just don’t see that for what’s coming in plus what is left over for the undeclared. The only one who can spot up and create a 3-point shot is Brown, but if he’s an Adidas lean then shooting is going to be a really big weakness. It’s like the 2009-2010 team. Superior athleticism, rebounding, and ball handing but no pure shooting. Yes Ulis can hit it consistently but he has to be wide open majority of the time. We are still going to be really good regardless I’d just hate for teams to eventually find a defense that prevents us from scoring as much in the inside because we can’t make the outside shot or basic jump shot from 15-18 ft. Anybody know if Charles Matthews is any good at shooting? If I remember correctly Cal liked him for his driving ability as SG.

3. Dave Ball
    12:13 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

Cheick Diallo, Zimmerman, Ivan Rabb, Brown, Newman, Maker are all still available…it will be fun to see who Cal scoops up…hoping Devin and Dakari come back…

4. leslie0256
    7:20 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

I am glad the Harrisons, Johnson Booker and Lyles are planning for a career in the NBA… I can’t see them making it for the fear they will get lost and be stuck in the D-League.. Yeah they played well at times this year but not enough to make it in the NBA… It is their decision and I hope it is for the best.. I see Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb and Daniel Orton’s career. . Orton wasn’t any good and staying in college might have helped him..
    He ended up over seas while Teague and Lamb have been stuck in the D-League.. I don’t think many players get out of the D-League to make a name for themselves… May they make the right decision for their career and not let the idea of big money draw them into a bad decision….. Good Luck guys…..

• chief_cat
      8:45 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

You may very well be right about the Harrisons, Johnson, and maybe even Booker (although I believe his shooting is much better than Lamb, plus he is taller and can drive past defenders better). However, I believe Lyles has the tools to be a big time NBA player. He has great size, can shoot out to the 3 point line, showed good D skills at times, and can handle the ball well. I understand why he is considered a lottery pick and I believe once he gets established in the league he will have a strong career.

5. Al B. Frank
    8:01 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

Seriously, Drew Franklin? You’re the guy always posting about how boring baseball is (basically insulting a large portion of your regular readers), yet you post in all caps your excitement about the Masters?

“THE MASTERS START TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!”

Seriously? If there is any sport boring to watch, it’s golf.

• WildcatScratchFever
      8:19 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

No sure how stating a (correct) opinion about a sport “insults” someone, but baseball and golf are equally boring.

• Catsby80
      8:58 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

how about we make a concession and just say you’re both wrong…

• Al B. Frank
      9:43 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

I enjoy watching baseball and I find it insulting when people who don’t understand the game call it boring. I understand, though. It’s kind of a smart person’s sport.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:07 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

I enjoy watching golf and I find it insulting when people who don’t understand the game call it boring. I understand, though. It’s kind of a smart person’s sport.

• BigBlueBoom
      10:07 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

Smart person’s sport? Any moron can understand it. Sure it takes skill to play the game, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t boring as hell. It is absolutely boring, as is golf. And bowling.

• Al B. Frank
      11:02 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

UK Big Board Update, WOW! That was amazing how you took my words and changed them into yours. You are so clever. Consider me “gotten.” I am no match for your genius.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:54 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

And in the end, sadly, you missed the entire point.

• American Errorist
      12:44 pm April 9, 2015 Permalink

Football is boring to watch

6. BlueDeuce
    8:22 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

The thing about leaving for the NBA is, they get to work on their games 24/7. It’s really the first time in their lives they will be able to do that and ultimately, will determine their success. I believe they all have the skill to play in the NBA (WCS, KAT, Lyles, Booker, Andrew all have it now…Aaron and Johnson can get it as they have the abilities, just have to refine their game).

Good luck guys, thanks for the 2 Final Fours!

…and golf is a terrible sport to watch! I enjoy playing it but cant’ watch it on TV for nothing!

7. mcp157
    8:30 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

Let’s get rid of the insanity. Change the NBA rule and allow someone to skip college and go straight into the league. If kids decide to go to college they must commit to two years. Ironic that a kid can go fight in the MIddle East out of high school but can’t go to the NBA. Now that is screwed up.

• new dreamer
      2:38 pm April 9, 2015 Permalink

Your logic sounds correct but I’m afraid it will end up as an oxymoron. I used the same logic until I heard Cal’s explanation to a member of the sports media on ESPN.

The greater percentage of kids that play basketball entering high school play ball in the AAU circuit over the summer breaks. If the older kids (srs.) are allowed to enter the pro draft it will set a precedent for the younger kids to follow. Many of them will fail to value an education and develop a mindset of why study and work hard for a good education when I’m going to follow my heroes in the draft anyway. Many will never realize that only a very few succeed in the draft and the greater number will not have the education to get into college. What a gross failure if the follow this logic.

Cal wants the NCAA & the NBA (and players union) to work on a plan for at least a two year scholarship. Then the NCAA would demand that the universities be held accountable for attending classes and moving toward their degree. Failure would result in penalties. That the best way.

8. UKfaninLou
    9:44 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

Really happy for the kids, selfishly sad for myself. Lol. This has been my favorite team ever, ending and all. Such a fine group of young men, characters all. It has been an honor to watch them play in blue. I wish only the best for every single guy. I look forward to watching them on NBA TV! Go get ’em, guys!

Can’t wait to see what Coach Cal puts together for us next season! Go Cats!

9. theWilkman
    9:52 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

The Masters is fantastic to watch on TV. Admittedly you need a big screen in HD, but Sunday afternoon with at least 2 vying for the win is some great sports television.

On a recruiting note, since there are so many guys still in play, I hope Cal shies away from Newman. He’s made some comments about his desire to be in-and-out as quick as possible that bothers me. I know a lot of these kids think that way, but you have to have more tact and keep that to yourself.

10. babydangy
    10:36 am April 9, 2015 Permalink

Drew you do know that brown said the comment about going to an Adidas school back in the fall not recently. For some reason it was brought up and everybody thought he had said it now but he didn’t.