The most offensive stats from last night

sadanthony

Last night’s loss to LSU was ugly. Just painful to watch, really. To show you how bad it was, I took another look at the box score. Some of the most offensive (and telling) stats:

💩 Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee, and Skal Labissiere: 7 points, 8 rebounds, 7 turnovers, and 12 fouls

The breakdown:

• Marcus Lee: 0-2, 0 points, 2 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 5 fouls, 5 minutes
  • Alex Poythress: 2-3, 4 points, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 5 fouls, 26 minutes
  • Skal Labissiere: 1-3, 3 points, 2 rebounds, 1 turnover, 2 fouls, 16 minutes

It’s pretty impossible to win when your bigs are doing that. And by “that,” I mean very little.

💩 Isaiah Briscoe’s Free Throw Shooting

Briscoe was 1-7 from the line last night, yet another pitiful shooting performance. For the season, Briscoe is 18-51 for 35% and an even worse 19% from three-point land. I’m starting to think Calipari was lying about him being a 78% free throw shooter in high school.

💩 What happened to Charles Matthews?

Matthews was 0-0 from the field for 0 points with 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 7 minutes. I get that he’s a freshman and probably freaked out in a hostile environment, but surely we could have used him for more than 7 minutes?

💩 32% shooting in the first half

It was ugly from the start.

💩 Only 14 points off five shots from Ben Simmons

Before the game, if you had told me Kentucky would hold Simmons to 14 points, I’d feel really, really good about the Cats’ chances; however, even with Simmons out of commission for most of the first half, Kentucky couldn’t make any noise, a disappointing sign.

💩 Points in the paint: LSU 44, UK 24

Not to harp on the bigs, but come on, guys.

💩 18 points

The final score was 85-67. That 18-point differential makes last night’s loss the third most lopsided in the John Calipari Era behind the 30-point loss at Tennessee on February 16, 2013 and the 19-point loss at Florida on March 8, 2014.

22 Comments for The most offensive stats from last night

1. Rixter
    12:10 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

LSU’s Athletic Director should have Johnny Jones in his office right now, having this conversation:

“Good morning, Johnny, no, don’t sit down, this won’t take long. Nice win last night against Kentucky. I noticed that after the only 2 UK players with any hope of guarding Ben Simmons fouled out, you did not feed the ball to Ben on every possession.”
    ” We have decided to go in a different direction with the men’s basketball program, we thank you for your service to Louisiana State University, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors”
    “That’s all, you may go”

2. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    12:19 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

I wasn’t able to see the last five minutes of the game and had several distractions during the game…that being said I wondered where Matthews was. I didn’t even see him in the game at all! Surely he could have played more.

3. sp
    12:24 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Most offensive non stat is just how weak and timid these guys are. They have no fire, no toughness, no will to win at all. I really really hope Skal does enter the draft. He is without a doubt the biggest wiff for Cal since he’s been at Kentucky.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      12:28 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Agree with the toughness and will to win part. Not ready to give up on Skal just yet though. Hopefully SEC play will wake him up and he can start playing man-ball.

4. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:25 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Doo-doo all around. Our big guys looked scared. Marcus Lee was back to his usual bone-headed “look at me I can touch the rim” style of play, especially on that last foul where he just shoved the dude in the back. Briscoe’s FT woes are mental at this point. Dude’s got the yips and it’s carrying over to his shooting when the clock isn’t stopped. Jamal Murray is still dribbling all over the place, although it looked like Cal got in his ear enough to make him actually start doing something with it at around the 17 minute mark in the first half. Skal needs to play a couple games of pickup on the playground to remind himself how good he actually is. The team needs some sort of kick in the pants to make them get their heads in the right place. Not sure what it will take, but they need something.

5. HackRichards
    12:40 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Unless something changes I sincerely have doubts about number 9.

• Bobbum Man
      12:45 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Ya think??

6. cats42301
    12:46 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

I think it is now proven that when we don’t have several returning players that are mature leaders, we can’t succeed on true freshman alone regardless of their skill. Ulis is the only returner who is a leader. The same thing occured in 2013, no returning leaders. The only other way we can be successful is if the freshman are mature for their age, like Wall, Cousins etc. Had we had a couple more returning players like Booker heck even Dakari I don’t think we’d see games like last night and Ohio St. Ulis just can’t do it all by himself, scoring and being a daddy to all immature freshman too. One final thought, I think it is painfully obvious are group of freshman were definitely overrated. Skal was only ranked high because of height, not on court performance. I’m not sure why Briscoe was ranked so high, he must have just blew by high school opponents and shot nothing but layups. It’s absurd to think he was ranked that highly while being one of the WORST shooters I have ever seen! The look on AD’s face in the crowd said it all, that’s the kind of fire we are lacking, he was pissed, while you look at Poythress and he looked like he couldn’t wait for the game to be over. I can not stand that kind of attitude from a player, senior at that!

7. jonthes
    1:05 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Rupp was on to something with letting the star score if he could but shutting down everyone else. UK guard defense was really good at the start of the season, but has loosened up a lot. The team is brilliant if Tyler controls the entire game – rather like UConn’s best teams. When Briscoe and Jamal go off on their own, the team doesn’t do well. Some of the front line fouls were BS as they always are on the road in the SEC, you have to anticipate that if you’re Alex and Marcus. It will be the same at Alabama.

8. jaws2
    1:14 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Briscoe is a liability on the court. When he goes to the line he may as well give the ball back and tell the ref to let the other team throw it in. He’s a walking turnover stat when he gets fouled. The kid can get to the rim but cannot capitalize when he gets fouled. His starting spot needs to be seriously evaluated.

9. e56
    1:23 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

it is what it is. not going to get any better when have to rely on Skal, Poy and Lee. It’s a “payback” year.

10. Cals Hoverboard
    1:30 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

I have to agree with most all of the critical comments above. While I hate seeing such an embarrassing loss, Im sure most will agree that this was LSU’s best outing of the season and our worst. I’m not going to slit my damn wrists over this! We’re going to probably lay a few more of these eggs on SEC road games until we start shooting the ball better and the young guys mature. I trust Cal.

11. 3 fan
    1:44 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

If Matthews got more PT last night who do you sit? Not Mulder, who led us in rebounding. Briscoe? I guess. Other than that Matthews sits the bench because he cannot score.

12. Cals Hoverboard
    1:54 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Also, did anyone else notice how well we defended against Ole Miss as far as not leaving our feet on shot fakes? We fell for every one of them last night!

13. kycats13
    2:05 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

It should be easy enough for sports writers to check Briscoe’s free throw shooting percentages in high school. I’m thinking no way it is 78% unless he missed 78%, which would pretty much match up with what he is shooting right now.

• RealCatsFan
      2:34 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Maybe Cal needs to take a page out of the script from the movie “Hoosiers” and take a tape measure to show Briscoe that this is the same court and the same goal that he was shooting 78% FT in high school.

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      2:54 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Or just start hitting the sauce like Dennis Hopper

• jaws2
      3:18 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

I shall repeat:

14. jim tom
    3:58 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

This team sucks, just as simple as that. Kansas will beat us by 5 touchdowns

• UK Big Board Update
      4:28 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Can someone check on jim tom’s wife/children/pets and make sure they are okay?

15. Doctor21
    5:03 pm January 6, 2016 Permalink

Too many Big Mac All-Americans and not enough players with heart like big Dan Issel.

• UK Big Board Update