The latest per-34 ratings and lineup breakdowns

Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

This season, the fine folks at the UK Media Relations department are putting together “per-34 ratings” to show what each players’ stats would be if they played 34 minutes at the same efficiency rate they do 20 minutes. Last week, Trey Lyles led all scorers, but after three solid games, Dakari Johnson is now on top, followed by Devin Booker.

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 10.32.32 AM

Right now, Dakari is averaging 10.8 points and 8.4 rebounds in 19.6 minutes per game. Not too bad.

Similarly, UK broke down each lineups’ average plus/minus stat (that lineup’s impact on the team’s point differential), points for and against, and the average time each lineup is on the court:

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 10.35.04 AM

Now that Poythress has recovered from his illness, it will be interesting to see how those stats change.

(All stats courtesy of UK)

11 Comments for The latest per-34 ratings and lineup breakdowns

1. BiggestCatsFanInOhio
    12:15 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

I love that not only are they doing this, they are releasing the data to the public. It really helps put their stats in perspective

2. mikeyUKfan
    12:34 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

not to bring up old news but I found a Kansas fan video after KY destroyed KU last week. I thought I would share it,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RxEG2OR_I
    Warning; this video contains profanity. It is hilarious !

3. Agent_M
    1:03 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

So, where are these stats? I must have missed last weeks.

4. cracka
    1:17 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

towns has been a little foul prone which I see getting better (and you have to be pretty bad to have it affect you getting your 20 min in anyway) … I think he’ll really jump up this chart which is ranked by pts

after the Bahamas games, I really thought the assist #s would be higher for drew and ulis

I wanna see aaron attacking more tonight, dakari dunking and shooting 1 ft instead of just getting fouled on a missed putback, 10+ blocks and bunch of smiles … love these pics of the guys on the bench celebrating every bucket

• blakea
      1:27 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

agree with everything you said, except I think I’d rather Poythress step up his attacking rather than Aaron. Right now according to stats alone it appears that there is no drop off between him and Derrick Willis (not true, but there should be a decent gap there).

5. LMU
    1:32 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

can i get some sam malone per 34 stats? i’ll hang up and listen

6. BMT
    2:05 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

I understand why Cal wants these projected numbers but it seems to me that they’re inherently a little bit deceptive. Part of the reason that the guys can play all out is because they know they’re only going to be going that hard for 4 – 5 minutes before the other platoon comes in to relieve them. Assuming that you’re playing as hard as you possibly can for those 4 – 5 minutes, is it realistic to think that you could play that hard for a full 34 minutes? Now admittedly, these are very well conditioned athletes we’re talking about so in some cases, it might be reasonable to expect that. But on the other hand, I don’t know that Dakari or WCS could really go that hard for 34 minutes. Dakari is in a lot better shape than he was last year but he’s still a big guy. I recall a year (or maybe 2 years) ago WCS talking about subbing himself out because he’d be tired (from a medical condition maybe)? Anyway, I know it’s important to show the players (and NBA scouts) these projected numbers but I also wonder how big the grain of salt is that we should take these numbers with…

• cracka
      2:24 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

I agree and that was my initial thought when Cal said 34 min … that’s a lot

We had a pretty tight rotation in 11/12 with 6 guys who averaged between 26-32 min, Wiltjer 12, Vargas 6 … Demarcus only avg 23.5 min a game in 09/10

I would have thought they would up their averages as if they played 28 or maybe 30, but 34 is pushing it … we’ve had guys do it, Wall avg 34.8, so guys have done it, but it’s not the norm

• TheDon
      3:24 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

Well, cracka, Boogie was ALWAYS in foul trouble. I think 34 is high for a Cal team, but mainly because he is always pulling someone out of the game to chat about their mistakes. Not uncommon for college players to put in 32-34 mins a game.

7. meeksfor3
    4:24 pm November 25, 2014 Permalink

Interesting that the top 3 scorers are on the 2nd platoon.