The German Shorthaired Pointer’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

Congratulations to CJ, a German Shorthaired Pointer who won the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show last night. CJ, only three years old, beat out 2,751 other dogs in 199 breeds and varieties to take home the title of top dog in America.

Watching the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is a ritual in our family and to pass the time until Best in Show, my husband and I made up fake intros for our own dog, a pound puppy from the Danville/Boyle County Humane Society. (“Now introducing Gatsby, a mixed breed, known primarily for her flatulence and ability to sleep almost the entire day. This occasionally energetic little dog excels at burrowing under covers, begging, and dragging her butt across the carpet when company’s over just to embarrass her owners.”) This year, we actually knew a dog in the competition, a Norwich terrier named Eddie that got honorable mention in his best of breed competition yesterday afternoon. Let me tell you, you haven’t lived until you’ve watched a live stream of a dog show on your computer on a Tuesday afternoon.

CJ is a beautiful dog, but personally, I was partial to Dario the Leonberger, who just wanted a treat from his handler, dangit:

CJ may be best in show, but Dario is the people’s dog.

Here’s what you have to look forward today…

John Calipari will speak to the media this afternoon

Tomorrow, the Cats will look to avenge their loss to Tennessee two weeks back, and John Calipari will meet with his favorite media friends around 2:15 p.m. to talk about it. Calipari took a short trip to watch his son Brad play earlier this week, so this will be the first time we’ve heard from him since his brief comments on Monday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference. If I had to guess, I’d say he’ll continue to stump for Tyler Ulis as National Player of the Year. (ICYMI, I made the case for Tyler last night.)

Will we get an update on Alex Poythress?

I sure hope so. On Monday, Kenny Payne said that Alex is now lightly jogging on his sore knee. While the team has done unbelievably well during his absence (to the point you almost wonder if they play better without him), you know there’s going to be a game in which we need him, and it would be a shame if he’s not able to take the court for his Senior Night. We’re hearing good things, so cross your fingers for a good update from Calipari today.

The first episode of my podcast will drop around lunchtime

Today marks the debut of my new podcast, The OTT, and for my first episode, I interviewed ESPN’s Shannon Spake. Shannon was in Lexington over the weekend to interview Isaac Humphries, and while in town, also visited the Breakfast Club. We talked about that and much more, like how she thought Jamal Murray was a wimp for only lifting 20 lbs. weights (true story!). Hopefully it’ll be up around lunchtime. Be easy on me, it’s my first time!

Willie Cauley-Stein is headed back to Sacramento

@cbisc4

UK fan Clay sat next to Willie on his flight from Lexington to Sacramento this morning, and even though Willie’s making pretty good money now, he still flies coach. Normally, I’d praise that frugality, but if I was a 7-footer with a little bit of money to spend, I’d definitely go for the upgrade.

From the looks of it, Willie picked up another inspirational book from the John Calipari library as well: “Mindset: The New Psychology of Success” by Carol Dweck. “The Energy Bus” seemed to work pretty well for him last season.

College basketball on TV tonight

It’s a huge night for college basketball, with Duke/UNC being the marquee game on ESPN at 9 p.m. Here’s the rest of the slate:

SEC

• 8:30 p.m.: Nebraska at #22 Indiana, BTN
  • 9 p.m.: #3 Oklahoma at Texas Tech, ESPNU
  • 9 p.m.: Virginia Tech at #11 Miami (Fl), ESPN3
  • 9 p.m.: #20 Duke at #5 North Carolina, ESPN
  • 9 p.m.: Arizona State at #12 Arizona, ESPN2

There are still tickets left for tomorrow night’s game for $25 each

For tomorrow night’s game against Tennessee and next Tuesday’s game against Alabama, you can get $25 upper level tickets by going to Ticketmaster.com and using the promo code “THANKS” for rows AA-KK in Sections 231-234. The offer is valid until two hours before tip-off of both games. For more information, check out the UK Ticket Office.

No excuses.

23 Comments for The German Shorthaired Pointer’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. kenjiwing
    9:10 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

FYI on your error.

You have the Tennessee game listed as tonight on the ticketmaster last paragraph and header.

2. ClutchCargo
    9:14 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

That handler is probably glad he put the dog treats in his jacket pocket instead of the front pocket of his pants.

3. yarg
    9:17 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry hides mutton in his jacket.

4. JTsaysHey
    9:18 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Not sure if your the worst blogger ever, but its pretty damn close.

• RealCatsFan
      9:19 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

So, how about posting us a link to YOUR blog so we can all critique it?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:26 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

*you’re *it’s

• RealCatsFan
      9:58 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Yep, you can often judge the mentality by the grasp of pronouns – or lack thereof. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      10:07 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

I don’t care for most dogs, abhor dog shows ( Best in Show is EPIC, however ) and this blog entry, not even Tyler’s best… is 1,242,876 times better than anything ever penned by JTsaysHey.

5. RealCatsFan
    9:18 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

If anyone out there has never seen the movie “Best in Show”, it is definitely worth the rental. If you are a dog lover, you will love this movie, and I thought it was pretty funny as well.

So, Duke vs UNC – who do we root for as Cats fans? Does our utter hatred of everything dookie get us pulling for UNC, or do we take the RPI perspective and hope for Duke to get a big win to boost our numbers? Or do we hope for a giant sinkhole to open up under the arena and swallow both of them up? 🙂

• BluKudzu
      9:39 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Best in Show is a truly funny mocumentary written by Christopher Guest, using improv acting. It is truly worth a couple hours of time to watch if you like awkward comedy. He has others that are equally entertaining.
      I just can’t pull for Duke. I would pull for Louisville, Indiana, or any other gutter soaked, wretched villain that would harm defenseless puppies or kittens over Duke. I hate the air they breathe. As Long as Ol’ Roy Williams is coach at UNC, it will be difficult to worry too much about them. He has a way of neutralizing talent.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:43 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Best in Show is one of my favorite movies of all time. Guest’s best work if you ask me.

• nybrasky
      9:53 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Hate to say it, but we root for the Dookies. It helps our RPI and resume, plus UNC is considered to be a much better team this year so we should want them to lose. Plus, it’s not hard to root against UNC anyway.

Just take a shower after the game.

• RealCatsFan
      10:02 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Tyler, I have a copy of “Spinal Tap” as well, and that one certainly had its hilarious moments. The space pods and the mini-Stonehenge are my favorite parts. 😀

• J-Dub421
      10:04 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Is there a way both Duke and UNC can lose? That would be optimal.

• Catsby80
      10:06 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

My list of hated teams in order is 1) Louisville 2) Indiana 3) Duke. So for that reason, I will root for UNC. If we continue to play the way we have been the last 2-3 weeks, it really doesn’t matter what the teams ahead of us do. We essentially control our own destiny. I’m not terribly worried about seeding at this point, as we are likely not going to get a 1 seed anyways…

Sidebar: I moved to Louisville from Lexington about 2 years ago. In all my years in Lexington, I hated Duke more than any other team and honestly my list was probably 1) Duke 2) IU 3) UofL. But since I moved to Louisville, my disdain for them has grown exponentially. When UofL played Duke last week, I found myself rooting for Duke and that pained me, but I cannot stand listening to these blabbering fools when UofL wins a big game. For a team/program that has as much tradition as theirs (and yes they have a pretty solid history, contrary to what a lot of UK fans want to admit), you would think that they would act like they’ve been there before… Ugh. Rant over. Go Cats.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:08 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

I vote for the sinkhole.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:12 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

This is Spinal Tap 》 Best in Show, but I have lived way too much of the nonsense portrayed in Spinal Tap so I am hardly neutral. Guest is generally awesome, regardless.

6. CatManDo
    9:51 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

Those treats have nothin’ on this mutton.

7. @BallBlog_Chad
    9:57 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

I need to move west some … I’m getting too old for these 9pm games

8. jrdh13
    10:48 am February 17, 2016 Permalink

No more 25 tickets either

9. UKBlue1
    12:00 pm February 17, 2016 Permalink

Like there is a direct flight from Lexington to Sacramento; there is barely a direct flight from Lex to anywhere.