The details of Derek Willis’ arrest are not good

ResizeInmateImage

On Saturday, Derek Willis was arrested for alcohol intoxication in a public place, and this morning, the details of that arrest came out, and well, they aren’t good. According to the Courier-Journal, police found Willis lying outside of the open driver’s side door of a car in Union, Kentucky and a “strong odor associated with alcohol” coming from inside of the car.

Willis, who turns 21 on June 21, told the deputy that he’d had “a lot” to drink, had extremely slurred speech, was unsteady on his feet, and when asked where he was, could only say “Northern Kentucky.” According to the deputy, Willis “was a danger to himself and others.” He was arrested at 4:57 a.m., spent eight hours in the Boone County Jail, and was released on a $50 bond by Linda Potts.

There’s still no comment from UK or Willis on the matter.

[Courier-Journal]

42 Comments for The details of Derek Willis’ arrest are not good

1. Realme
    11:03 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

I wasn’t too bothered by the early news, but since he was apparently driving, it’s suddenly a very big deal. Come on, Derek, we need you.

• Sasquatch
      11:39 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

Where does it say he was driving? At 5 am, he was likely trying to sleep it off and not driving. Thus no DUI charge.

• Realme
      12:01 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Sleeping it off on the ground outside his open driver’s door. You can hope he gets let off with just public intoxication, on a technicality, but let’s not pretend we think he drove to the spot where he was found, then got drunk, then fell out of his car.

• HackRichards
      8:18 am June 14, 2016 Permalink

Whether or not he was driving depends upon if the KEYS WERE IN THE IGNITION. Speaking from Personal Experience.

2. jhnny
    11:07 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

Well, he was in Northern Kentucky. I’d say he passed that question.

3. WildcatScratchFever
    11:07 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

The PI didn’t bother me, hell I got one at UK about a week or two before I turned 21…but I was at a party and not driving.

Being found in a car like that is not good, very irresponsible and then to take a mugshot like you don’t care…not great.

Not sure what a worthy punishment is but multiple games minimum I would think.

• Kentuckyhomegrown
      11:11 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

Agree with everything you said, we were prob in the tank together

• Booby Petrino
      12:33 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

“then to take a mugshot like you don’t care…not great”…he’s drunk as hell in that picture, I’m sure he didn’t care at the time. Alcohol can make you care deeply about something, or not at all.

4. pithuahua
    11:09 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like he is very lucky not to have been slapped with a DUI..Focus young man ,eyes on the prize.

5. pithuahua
    11:15 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

I see many man-killers and whistle-drills in his future..

6. ukisgr8
    11:28 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

Unless UK changed it’s policies, he will probably be done. Stupid

7. blueballs80
    11:38 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

Hi Derek, welcome to coach Cal’s doghouse. Question is who got him the liquor?

• Farmer Perkins
      12:05 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

I think he’s quite at home there. It’s his primary residence.

• somerset bill
      2:17 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

last guy in there left his jean shorts.

8. Zenyattafan
    11:47 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

If he was “laying,” then there should be some eggs to show for it. He was LYING.

9. ukisgr8
    11:53 am June 13, 2016 Permalink

If you are drunk inside the vehicle with the key in the ignition, started or not, it’s a DUI. Hopefully the final charge is AI. Typically though, they charge you with the lesser offense then bump it up. Time will tell

• Booby Petrino
      12:34 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

he wasn’t inside the vehicle.

• go back to caneyville
      12:38 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

If he was charged with an AI, it will remain an AI, no chance of this being “bumped up” to a DUI. Police wouldn’t have asked him to give a blood or intoxilizer sample for just an AI. Without either of those, the county attorney won’t think about a DUI charge. And it’s actually the opposite, usually offenders are charged high and it is later amended down.

• bluemoonofkentucky
      8:16 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

typically, the start with the greater charge and then reduce.

10. Sentient Third Eye
    12:14 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

This could be really bad. Bad enough that WIllis might not be on the team this fall.

• Catsby80
      12:35 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

you’re an idiot. a misdemeanor charge for drinking does not warrant being kicked off the team. get real.

• Sentient Third Eye
      2:31 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Idiots shouldn’t call other people idiots. It will cause you delusions of grandeur. You might even start dreaming about riding the big school bus.

• ClutchCargo
      2:37 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Catsby80, maybe go back and read the story and then keep telling yourself it is just a misdemeanor charge for drinking. Dude was passed out drunk outside the open driver’s door of the car. Drunk driving is not something to be taken lightly. And I know he wasn’t charged with that, but common sense tells me that that’s what happened prior to the cops finding him. Coach takes a lot of pride in his players being model citizens, which is why this stuff almost never happens. The fact that DW has spent most of his UK career at the end of the bench due to lack of work ethic doesn’t help his case here. I think he has a harsh penalty to pay (from Cal) and how he handles that might determine his status on the team going forward.

11. Farmer Perkins
    12:23 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

I’m disappointed in Willis. But, everyone messes up. I hope he learns from this and doesn’t repeat this mistake.

12. kentuckyrld
    12:47 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Time to think about cutting ties with Willis. Someone that stupid has no place on the team. If he can’t be trusted with the responsibility to at least act like he has some sense, what else will he be doing?

• 3Goggles
      2:05 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Ridiculous. Cut ties with a 20 year old for drinking? That is quite an overreaction. Let him live in the dog house. Its not like he was buying hookers for the freshman or anything.

13. scorpiocard
    1:06 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Oh cool! A new for us! We’ll take your “thugs”. Send us all your “thugs”! lmao

• scorpiocard
      1:07 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

* new player

• UK Big Board Update
      1:39 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

You still wouldn’t be able to beat us. What’s the tally up to now? 8-1?

• ClutchCargo
      2:42 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Pitino has already suspended him indefinitely and reinstated him. You know, just in case.

14. A_Blue_Wildcat
    1:22 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

For a senior to do something this stupid is just really disappointing. I expect him to be suspended at least a few games, but I could easily see Cal suspending him for half the season.

15. Ukgrad2006
    1:36 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

I was at a party with Derek a few years ago (when he was a sophomore). His drink of choice was Bud Light, so he’s okay in my book.

16. Linda Schnitz
    2:02 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

I done my share of drinkin over the years and it don’t no easier bein woken up by a cop next to your car

17. somerset bill
    2:24 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

i suppose he could have walked up to the car, opened the door and passed out–overcome by the strong odor of alcohol inside.

18. hitman72
    2:59 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

I’d say Cal suspends him for both exhibition games and the first three games of the season, which would be two mid majors and the Michigan State game. If Cal wants to be even harsher, he could not let Willis be introduced at Madness for his senior year. I don’t see him doing that but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

19. Laker Cat 18
    4:15 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Some of you folks act like this is no big deal. I drank under age occasionally, but I have NEVER driven drunk. Not saying that’s what Willis did, but that’s where all signs are pointing. It’s easy to flap your jaws when you haven’t lost a loved one to a drunk driver.

20. joeandrewc
    4:43 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Love DW, but he needs a severe punishment. He had to have been driving the car, why else would it smell like it alcohol? Does he use a Bud Light air freshener? He might have even been drinking if it is as strong of a smell as described. A buddy of mine was arrested for a DUI a few years back while we were both in college. His parents were from out of town, but his dad worked regionally and was able to be in the area to handle the situation. His dad had asked me to drive my friends car back to our apartment and park it, since his driving privileges were not restored yet. When I opened the car to get in, liquor was the first thing I smelt. I understand people make mistakes and Willis will certainly learn from this, but this is not a mistake that needs a slap on the wrist.

21. mudcreekmark
    5:46 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

I had a friend arrested for DUI while sitting in his car listening to the radio in the parking lot of a motel. We were all there during an insurance conference and we all were drinking and for some reason he and another guy went to listen to his stereo in his truck. It wasn’t running, he never drove while drinking nor did he have any intentions of driving. Just listening to music. Now, if they can assume my friend was driving while drunk you would think that they could put two and two together with Willis.

22. Sheeeeeiiit
    7:07 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

This sucks for sure but don’t kid yourselves about these players, they party. I know for a fact they partied under Tubby because I was with some of the players when they did. For instance, Wayne Turnner was known as Burner Turner for more than one reason. I can only imagine and hope Cal is more strict but he can’t watch these guys every minute, especially in the summers. Let’s just hope Willis isn’t an alcoholic or something like that and can take his spanking for this, man up and get back to being a senior leader.

23. Luether
    7:22 pm June 13, 2016 Permalink

Life’s tough – it’s tougher if you’re stupid…

24. Howdy Doody
    12:56 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

My youngest sister was murdered by a DUI jerk. I have NO SYMPATHY for Willis at all.
    Geez, SOME of you would excuse murder just because the murderer was on the UK roster…