The Bye Week’s Monday Morning Wakeup

Good morning, friends, and welcome to another action packed week of Kentucky sports — oh wait, it’s the bye week? Well, welcome to another week of Kentucky sports. Thanks to our friends down the road, there’s plenty to talk about this week, like hookers entertaining 17-year-old boys and their fathers, and how much Rick Pitino did or did not know about it.

Oh yes, we will talk about the UofL sex scandal allegations plenty this week. I purchased “Breaking Cardinal Rules: Basketball and the Escort Queen” last night, and even though I’m only a few pages in, I can already tell you it’s a train wreck; poorly written, bizarre, and totally scandalous. Like a trainwreck, I can’t look away. Later this week, I’ll have a full review for you, along with some dramatic readings of the juiciest excerpts from some of your favorite KSR personalities. (Assuming they agree. I haven’t asked them yet.)

There’s much more than that happening, though. Let’s run through the agenda…

Basketball practice rolls on

Practice officially began last week, and with football on a bye week, it’s totally acceptable to start creepin’ on the Cats. The Kentucky basketball Twitter account released some videos and pictures over the weekend to whet your appetite, and I’m sure we’ll see a practice report or two in the coming days. The team’s currently in two-a-days, a crucial time for a young group to get a feeling for each other and begin work on that all-important chemistry. Speaking of, even this “It’s still football season!!” nut got a little excited when this popped up on my Twitter feed:

@KentuckyMBB

On that note…

Basketball recruiting also rolls on

Over the weekend, 2018 recruits 6’8″ F Maurice Calloo and 6’0″ PG Kajon Gordon-Stephens took unofficial visits to Kentucky after participating in John Lucas’ Midwest camp in Louisville. Neither holds an offer from Kentucky, but they’re considered All-Canadians in their homeland and Calloo’s older brother reportedly played on the same team as Mychal Mulder. Did the additions of Mulder and Murray open up a new Canadian pipeline to Lexington? Hopefully we’ll find out more this week.

In other recruiting news, we found out yesterday that the nation’s top center, Marques Bolden, will visit for Big Blue Madness. Bolden will join Harry Giles, De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, commit Sacha Killeya-Jones and 2017 point guard Trae Young on the VIP guest list for Madness, which is one week from Friday. As the week goes on, I expect some details about the event will leak out. Will Drake really be there? If so, get ready for a LOT of “I rock Kentucky blue” snapchats.

BBN was all over “Quantico” again last night

Josh Hopkins is one of the stars of the new ABC drama about FBI recruits, and he’s done his best to make sure Kentucky’s also a part of it. Check out these screenshots from last night’s episode:

@MrRational

Yes, that’s a ticket from the UK/Baylor doubleheader that took place in Dallas during the ice storm almost two years ago. I had blocked that game from my memory, but it’s cool to see the Cats get some screen time during network primetime.

No Stoops press conference today…

…BUT, there will be a press conference in one hour to discuss parking and transportation logistics for the Thursday night game against Auburn. Tune in here for the latest details in about an hour.

I’m reading “The Martian” and it’s awesome

I’m not exactly a sci-fi nut, but couldn’t resist the hype surrounding “The Martian,” the story of an astronaut stranded on Mars after his crew presumed him dead during a storm. If you’ve been around a television in the past week, you know the movie, starring Matt Damon, came out this past weekend, and I did my best to resist seeing it until I finish the book. No spoilers please, but if you saw it, did you enjoy it? Or did you immediately think of Damon’s role in “Interstellar” and hate his character?

BOMANI JONES will join Matt at 10:30 a.m. to talk about the UofL scandal

Which means you need to clear your schedule to listen live or on podcast. Something tells me this will be an epic show.

11 Comments for The Bye Week’s Monday Morning Wakeup

1. The Martian
    9:12 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

Have not seen the movie yet but the book was amazing!

2. CatsBy80
    9:19 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

Mrs. TT… I didn’t see The Martian, but I did see Sicario, which was alright. In case you didn’t know, it is about the drug cartels sneaking into the U.S. Some very intense moments, but it was decent. I give it a 7.5/10

3. joe
    9:29 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

Saw The Martian Friday night. Very good movie but not like Interstellar at all. Much more realistic and possible. Important to get that in your head before you see it. Don’t want to go into it thinking it will be like Interstellar and it not be.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:36 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, I was just referring to the fact Matt Damon’s in both and his character in Interstellar is awful.

4. Rajonrondo9
    9:30 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

The martian was really good. Lot of comedy, but also very realistic. Well, some parts lol. I definitely hope we will be rocking Kentucky blue with Drake!

5. David
    9:49 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

Dear Tyler and others reading this message,

The Martian is a great story. The book is superb in my mind. And the story of how this book, self published by a novice author, is also pretty impressive.

The movie does a great job of visualizing the Martian landscape, the astronaut’s protective environment and what he did. The movie does a good job of remaining true to the book.

However, the book is superior because it allows you to get inside the minds of the characters more easily. Some things are lost without the inner dialogue.

A wonderful cast makes this story come to life. Enjoy the book and then enjoy the movie.

6. Nerds
    9:53 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

The book is in my queue. The movie was very good. Not once did I associate Damon’s character in The Martian with his character in Interstellar.

7. Mark Watney
    10:05 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

The Martian movie is pretty good, but I felt it fell short of Interstellar. It was super long, but unlike Interstellar, got boring at parts and felt like it was dragging along. If I had to make a comparison, Interstellar is like the first 3 seasons of FNL, with Topher Grace’s cameo being Interstellar’s equivalent to Landry’s murder storyline as the “Why did they include this, this sucks and is out of place and let’s just drop it and never talk about it again”, and The Martian is the final two, still good but not as good FNL seasons

Related note: Anyone else think Landry/Jesse Plemons looks a little like Matt Damon?

8. Sheeeeeiiit
    10:40 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

The book is one of the best. The movie was good. I almost wished I had seen the movie first. Knowing what was going to happen in the theater kind of ruined the movie for me. It could just be the way my mind was constantly comparing the two. I try to turn that off but it wouldn’t stop. The book is very funny and filled with science and math genius. The movie just tries to keep up with all of that without being boring. Matt Damon was a decent Mark Watney. In no way did I relate him to interstellar. The two movies are totally different and for me shouldn’t even be thought of together. I have been reading your blogging for years now and I think you will very much appreciate the book more than the movie.

9. chimichanga
    10:57 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

I saw The Martian yesterday, thought it was excellent. A little too Hollywood feel-goody at times, but that’s a minor complaint.

10. Kagimax
    11:33 am October 5, 2015 Permalink

saw it with wife on date night. intense action first 15 minutes and wondered how they were going to fill additional 2:06 with interest and suspense.
    they pulled it off. excellent movie.
    we have seen gravity, interstellar and now martian. the latest was the best of the 3