The bigs (or lack thereof) was the story of the game

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 5.57.25 PM

A somber Marcus Lee and Jamal Murray met with reporters after the game to discuss UK’s 74-62 loss to Vandy, and when asked what John Calipari was most frustrated about in the locker room, Lee had an immediate answer.

“Bigs not contributing,” Marcus Lee said. “That’s something where we can’t be in and out of games like that. We can’t have foul trouble. We can’t totally zone out the first half and that’s something we did today. For us to be successful, we have to be on point big wise the whole game.”

“Honestly, I have no idea why it was that way,” Lee said when asked. “We honestly shouldn’t have — especially me and Alex, we’re vets. It falls on our shoulders to set an example and to lead like that. We weren’t there today.”

Later on, a reporter asked Marcus how the bigs plan to fix their consistency issue by the time postseason play starts, and Jamal Murray stepped in to speak for his teammate.

“Marcus is fine, man. He’s fine. He’s always energetic, always up, keeps the team going, so is Alex, so we rely on them. Today they were kind of flat, but they’re no issue for us.”

Apologies for the quality, blame Periscope

7 Comments for The bigs (or lack thereof) was the story of the game

1. DelrayCat
    7:03 pm February 27, 2016 Permalink

Unfortunately, I smell a sad ending coming this year.
    Had a few good games this season, but overall just too many deficiencies on this team.
    Granted, we have two really good players in Murray and Ulis. They are both certainly going pro.
    Poythress is decent, but disappears too often.
    Willis is solid, but who knows if he returns to form in the short season remaining.
    Skal is soft as Charmin and just not very good. His season will go down as one of the most disappointing in UK history. And as Cal said, if you have no post play, then your team is a fraud.
    Then you have 4 guys who simply cannot shoot (Lee, Briscoe, Humphries, and Matthews), but are just good enough that you have to play them because you really have no one else. But my lord, these are major college players, playing for the best tradition in the game… and I know 12 year olds that are better shooters than these 4 guys. Yet, I guess they must keep shooting those jumpers. Perhaps the Cats are better off with Murray and Ulis just playing hero ball and shooting 20 times each. But that is usually not a key to success at this level.
    I like Hawkins, but he’s not a difference maker. And the rest of the crew…. scrubs.
    And that’s it….that’s all you got. Sadly, probably not a championship caliber team.
    Yes, I am Debbie Downer right now, but I’ve also watched enough basketball in my life to know this team is very unlikely to have REAL success going forward. Just so flawed guarding the ball, fouls too often, gives up far too many offensive rebounds, and dear lord….the awful free throw shooting (outside of 2-3 guys).
    Now, Gainesville will likely be no different next week since they are just as desperate to win as Vandy. Plus, the LSU game is also a question mark, but hopefully Cats should win that one.
    Regardless, the SEC title? Gone. SEC Tourney? Maybe a chance to win 3 games…, but I now seriously have my doubts.
    And then you’re looking at a likely 7-8 seed with the real potential for an unheard of 1 and done finish in the big dance, leaving us going into this year as pre-season #1 then finishing as a 10+ loss team with a real black mark on the record books. That is depressing.
    But I hope I’m dead wrong 🙁 I just don’t want to get my hopes up.
    Regardless, I will still cheer and yell and scream for my cats (and at those pitiful refs). But believe me, the bourbon will be handy just in case.

2. leon singleton
    7:14 pm February 27, 2016 Permalink

Ulis was the problem tonight.

• runningunnin.454
      7:35 pm February 27, 2016 Permalink

Ulis had an off-night with his shot; that’s all; but, …wait a minute…. are you a total blithering idiot?
      I would try to explain basketball to you; but, i don’t think you’re worth the effort.

Go find another team; you don’t know enough about the game to follow UK.

3. derichgail
    7:24 pm February 27, 2016 Permalink

http://kenpom.com/ #9
    http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm #10
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi #14

I understand your point, but I don’t agree with your post season suggestions. A quick google search brings up important stats that will provide proof to the strength of a team. We have to consider that these ratings take in to count the entire season. Honestly, we didn’t start playing good ball until Willis stepped in and changed our look offensively. Now, he is hurt and Poythress didn’t show up and we played a team that is desperate for a win to get into the tourney at home. Also, Ulis finally has a bad game, which won’t happen often and it hasn’t through out the season. We didn’t play well outside of Murray. After all of that we still were in a chance to win this game with 4 minutes to left. We had crucial possessions late where Skal missed an easy 2 footer and Ulis missed a wide open lay up. Those 4 points put us to within 2 points with 3 minutes left. Its true we are missing some pieces to be a true national title contender, but we have the one thing that will be a surefire way to get you to the final game, a BACKCOURT. Outstanding point guard and a prolific scoring who can torch from downtown. All we need is a little more contribution from our frontline. Before Willis went out with his ankle injury we looked like a final four team. If we can get him back, then everything goes back as it was except we will have Poythress with him. If we don’t get him back and get average production from our frontline and the typical production from Ulis and Murray then it could be an Elite 8 or Final Four team, depending on the draw.

4. mudcreekmark
    7:28 pm February 27, 2016 Permalink

The fact is, we have three players who can shoot the ball, Ulis, Murray and Willis. Tonight only two of them played and one of them was ice cold. Ulis goes 5 for 20, game over. You cannot win a game when you only have one player on the floor that is having a good scoring night. The bench scored 0 points in a total of 44 minutes played. I still believe in this team. When Willis gets back we will be OK. Instead of penetrating and kicking the ball out to Briscoe for a three it will be Willis taking those shots. Cal has been terrific in the post season since he has been here. I still think we make it to the Final Four.

5. cats paw
    8:55 pm February 27, 2016 Permalink

hard for our bigs to compete when we are playing two against three!!! set brickscoe on the bench and you will see their production rise!

6. bluecrowe
    2:49 am February 28, 2016 Permalink

It is such a strange team to watch. How did Briscoe, a guard get to this point without being able to shoot from the floor or the line? Just curious. High ankle sprains are horrible and I fear we may not see Willis the rest of the year. How can Poythress disappear in this game as a Senior? I also think there were two questionable calls which came at crucial times, but who knows?

I fear this season was lost when Cal was not honest with Dakari. He cannot be afraid to say, you are not ready for the next level and the contract you will get at this point does not make it worth leaving early. He would have been perfect on this team and then Skal could be the power forward off the bench.