The 8 things you need to know from Calipari’s podcast with Coach K

coach-k-john-calipari

Episode two of John Calipari’s new podcast dropped this morning, featuring an interview with Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski. ESPN published quotes from the meatiest parts of the podcast yesterday, but it was still a fun listen this morning. Here are my favorite parts…

1. Calipari says the North Carolina game is the craziest game he’s ever coached

Before getting into his talk with Coach K, Cal spent a few minutes talking about Kentucky’s win over North Carolina and it’s clear he’s feeling really, really good about it.

“We beat North Carolina in Vegas in front of 20,000 and it was the craziest game I’ve ever coached,” Cal said. “My little young guys made some big plays and all of a sudden, we’re beating North Carolina.”

While Cal said he’s never had a guy score 47 points, he pointed out that Malik Monk missed two free throws, so he really should have ended up with “50” (his math, not mine).

2. Calipari reached out to Coach K when deciding if he wanted to coach the DR National team

I’ll be honest, a lot of the podcast is over-the-top praising between the two, which can get a little old, but I thought it was interesting that Calipari said he reached out to Coach K when deciding if he wanted to coach the Dominican Republic National Team in 2012. Obviously, Coach K just retired as the head coach of Team USA, a role you can tell Calipari covets, and Cal spends a lot of time talking about how much he respects Coach K for his work with USA Basketball.

3. Another funny story about Ellen lobbying for more playing time for Brad

Cal and Coach K talked about what it’s like for Cal to coach his son this year, which means we got to hear the slightly uncomfortable George Clooney reference again, as well as another example of Ellen lobbying for more playing time for Brad.

“She says to me, ‘You talk about efficiency, he got two points in two minutes, you’ve gotta play him more!’ I said, ‘Honey, don’t.'”

Coach K actually made a funny when he quipped that Cal should sub Brad for Monk, which, you know, honey, don’t.

4. We got to hear Ellen do a Blue Apron ad

To me, most of the fun of this podcast is hearing Calipari read ads, and for his Blue Apron ad, he brought in Ellen to describe the latest Blue Apron meal she made, pork chops with brussels sprouts, orange chutney, and a salad. Yum.

5. Brace yourselves, BBN: Cal loves Christian Laettner

Calipari risked drawing the ire of the BBN when he told Coach K he likes one of Kentucky’s biggest enemies.

“I’m hoping Kentucky fans aren’t listening to this because I really like Christian Laettner. He is my guy. From Buffalo, I coached him at Five Star.”

That’s all I want to hear about that, thank you.

6. Lots of love for Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins

As part of his role with Team USA, Coach K coached Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins, and had a lot of praise for each.

“Obviously Anthony has become as good as anybody, and we missed him this summer,” Coach K said. “A guy that gets a bad rap sometimes and has won two gold medals…DeMarcus Cousins was dominant, and I know he loved being on the team.”

As you might imagine, Calipari leapt on that opportunity to praise Cousins, and the two went back and forth about how misunderstood Boogie is, with Coach K calling him “so damn talented.”

7. Cal claims he’ll play Brad if Kentucky and Duke meet in the tournament

This season could end with Kentucky playing Duke in the Final Four or national championship, and if that happens, I’m hoping Calipari forgets this promise to play Brad.

“We had a chance to play in 2010, we screwed that up,” Cal said. “2015, we screwed that up. If we do get a chance, I will play my son. I’m not sure I’ll start him –”

“Well, I think you should start him,” Coach K interrupted.

Again, honey, no.

8. Coach K admitted to using bitmojis

And if they weren’t already, bitmojis are now dead.

Do yourself a favor and check out the entire podcast on iTunes, Podbay, Stitcher, etc.

16 Comments for The 8 things you need to know from Calipari’s podcast with Coach K

1. UKBlue1982
    11:02 am December 20, 2016 Permalink

Cal’s tweets this morning, with instructions on how to download a podcast, would be borderline insulting if it weren’t so damn funny.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    11:08 am December 20, 2016 Permalink

I have to admit, Laettner was such a good sport during that alumni game for charity several years back, that it is hard to continue hating the guy.

3. Realme
    12:55 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

Listening now. This must me what it sounds like when you see Cal having conversations with other coaches at recruiting events.

4. Ukgrad2006
    1:40 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

ENOUGH with Brad. He’s not good. He wouldn’t even COME CLOSE TO PLAYING AT KENTUCKY if his daddy were not the coach. You say hes good at shooting 3’s? Well he’s shooting 18% from behind the arc. Terrible. He’s averaging way more minutes per game than his fellow walk-on brothers, Johnny David and Dillion Pulliam, who practice just as hard as him (And who also have seniority over him). If I were them, I would take Brad and his tree stump legs behind the Coal Lodge and beat the chest tattoo off of him. His defense is atrocious, he can’t create his own shot, and 1 of the 2 three’s hes made this year was a BANK SHOT for Christ sake. Coach Cal, if this happens to come across your desk, please hear me out. DO NOT PLAY YOUR SON AGAINST DUKE, KANSAS, OR THE KENTUCKY SCHOOL OF THE BLIND. #EarnedNotGiven

• ukbradstith
      2:11 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

Chill out. He’s a walk on. I’m sure the other walk ons are quite aware of the situation. Brad isn’t better than them, but he’s going to get more mop up minutes. If it keeps cal around I’d say it’s worth it.

• Catsby80
      3:45 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

You speak like you know how hard the walk-ons practice. I have a good source (former mens basketball team manager) who told me that the walk-ons don’t even participate in practice. They literally are on the side court during practices shooting around and not partaking in the “team practice”. They do the layup lines and warm up stuff, but once practice starts, they sit to the side. If Brad comes in the game, it’s because we’re up by 20 points or so. So Cal wants to get his kid some clock in a blowout… Chill out, bud.

• CATSfan1981
      4:57 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

Alright so it’s apparent that you have never played a single game of basketball in your life.
      1. Brad is going to be a pivotal part of this team in 2 or 3 years (depending on if he progresses the way he is projected too) Excpext a Jarrod Polson or Patrick Sparks type career.
      2. He is in a shooting slump but can you blame him? The kid is a part of one of the greatest recruiting classes in recent history. A class that he himself was a part of. Several other offers were thrown his way but he came to a school where he could have possibly seen no PT.
      3. Tree stump legs.. the kid gets all of his power from those things. So how about you go pick a basketball up and snag a spot on a roster full of 5 star athletes.

• Ukgrad2006
      5:01 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

Chill aye? The kid is playing at a division 1 powerhouse because it was GIVEN to him, not EARNED. Despite what his obtrusive chest piece might say, he hasn’t earned half of the PT he’s received. Allow me to enlighten you two bozos. Jarrod Polson was a walk on at UK before he EARNED himself a starting spot. Jarrod Polson was 10X the player that Brad is. Jarrod Polson played a TOTAL of 31 minutes in his freshman season. We are 11 games in to the season, and Brad Calipari has already played a total of 33 minutes. I cringe when i see him check in knowing its because his mommy wants to see her baby boy on the court. You don’t get participation trophies in Division 1 basketball and you sure has hell don’t get them at Kentucky. Get out of here with that nonsense.

• Catsby80
      8:15 am December 21, 2016 Permalink

the guy is playing mop up minutes. he is never going to be a starter at UK and he’s never going to check in to a game when it’s tight down the stretch. if cal wants to keep his wife happy late in the game, then who cares. if we’re winning, why are you bitching? shut up.

5. Ukgrad2006
    5:05 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

CATSfan1981 ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! I would easily “pick a basketball up and snag a spot on a roster full of 5 star athletes” if my dad was John Calipari, and Brad proves that. GTFO

• CATSfan1981
      5:17 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

You have to respect Brad and his work ethic. The kid being Cals son needs to be set aside. He’s got a hell of a shot (although at this time it’s not falling) I see Brad becoming one of the purest shooters in UK history with the way he applies himself. Possibly even putting himself in a position as a senior to snag a late spot in the NBA draft

• Ukgrad2006
      5:44 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

Wait a second….. is this Brad’s mom???? I think you’ve officially lost your mind. A late spot in the NBA Draft?! You’re smoking something strong 1981. Listen, I’m going to screenshot this and make a point to look at this again in 4 years. If Brad makes it to the NBA i will personally find you and give you ever cent out of my bank account. YOU. ARE. HIGH. one of the purest shooters in UK History??? Tony Delk? Jamal Murray? Devin Booker? Doron Lamb? Malik Monk? Patrick Sparks? Jodie Meeks? Tayshaun Prince? Keith Bogans? Gerald Fitch? Rex Chapman? Cameron Mills? You need to go to rehab and find yourself my brother.

• CATSfan1981
      6:01 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

If you’re not going to respect raw talent then I’m done with this argument

6. Ukgrad2006
    6:18 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

The kid has a good looking shot yes, but you’re missing my point. You’ve put him in a category of the elite players that have come through the program and he is so very far from it. If Brad had a different name across his back, no one would be talking about him. He is a good DII player at best.

• runningunnin.454
      7:10 pm December 20, 2016 Permalink

Get off the kids back. He’s not there to be an elite Division I guard; he’s not there to prepare for an NBA career. He’s there to learn to COACH, and he will be learning from one of the best.
      If you don’t want to watch when he goes in, turn it off….don’t watch; I assume you can use a remote.