Cal is all over ESPN today, even doing an online chat with SportsNation. Miss it? Here are my six highlights…
1. Cal says he’ll take about a month off to recover from his hip surgery
When asked when he would get some time to relax, Cal said he will take about a month off in May to have his hip replaced, the first time in his coaching career he’s taken that long of a break. He later added that his hip injury is more of a nerve issue than bone-on-bone, and he tried “steam massages and anything else I could do to help alleviate that.”
2. He hopes UK football will be as special as UK basketball someday
A fan asked Cal if he ever wished he coached at a school where football was as big as basketball to balance some of the media attention, and Cal said there are about four programs in which you can win in both sports, and he hopes Kentucky is added to that list. For now, he says he enjoys helping the football program “grow into something special.”
3. Cal likes golfing, reading, and long walks on the beach
And he really prefers penne pasta to bucatini.
4. He says he tried to make just as many funny faces as Julius Randle this year
When asked who makes the better funny faces, him or Randle, Cal said he tried to match him funny face to funny face, but “he got me.” Yeah…
5. Cal’s never filled out an NCAA bracket
6. He admitted part of “the tweak” was “toying with the media”
Martin from New York asked Cal if he got any enjoyment from watching everyone try to guess what the tweak was, which led to this classic Cal admission: “Obviously, I like toying with the media.” Naaaah. No way. He then added that he kept the tweak a secret so other teams wouldn’t find out he was playing Andrew as a passer.
Read a full transcript of the chat here.