That Debate’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

Like 100 million other Americans, I tuned in to last night’s debate expecting a hot mess, but, somehow, it was even worse than I could have imagined. I might as well have watched the most gruesome parts of “The Human Centipede” on loop and it would have been more civilized than what went down on NBC. Politics have always been a nasty, dirty business, but for an hour and a half, I watched two grown people claw, bark, sniffle, and interrupt each other in an exercise that genuinely made me sad for our country. Before you tell me to STICK TA SPORTS or GET IN THE KITCHEN, I don’t really care who you vote for on Election Day, and even if I did, nothing I could say would change your mind. While pundits spin and stumble to proclaim a winner, right now, all I’m certain of is the loser, and that’s us, because come January, we’re going to be stuck with one of these crazy people as our President.

I should have taken it as a sign when my television (along with several other televisions in Nashville, it seems) simply turned itself off about 30 minutes in. Of course, I didn’t, and as a result, I’m tired, I have a headache, and I just want to talk about UK sports for a while. That cool?

Things got a little bit awkward on last night’s Mark Stoops radio show

Mark Stoops couldn’t have been in a better mood during yesterday’s press conference, telling stories about his relationship with Nick Saban, good-naturedly poking fun at the media for trying to find headlines, and even taking some veiled shots at those who spread rumors about him on Saturday; however, last night’s call-in show was a different story. Stoops had to listen to callers tell him UK is the Chicago Cubs of football, Eddie Gran’s offense is no good, players don’t develop once they get to his program, and Tommy Tuberville should be UK’s coach. Someone even called in to ask Stoops why he shouldn’t take Alabama to cover the spread. By the end of it all, Stoops looked like this:

It speaks to the overwhelming frustration in the fan base that, even after a big win, some people aren’t just negative, but feel the need to call in and tell Stoops they’d rather a different coach have his job. Shoutout to Stoops for calmly shouldering the criticism and not teeing off on callers, but man, what a rough night.

In positive news, Denzil Ware was named Co-SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week

Against South Carolina, Ware had five tackles, including two huge quarterback sacks at crucial moments that combined for -21 yards. We’ve complained about the defense a lot this season, but on Saturday, they were great, holding the Gamecocks to a season low ten points on 3 of 13 third down conversions.

The Vanderbilt game will kick off at 4 p.m. on October 8

This means that if you really, really want to, you could go to Keeneland for a few races in the early afternoon before making your way over to Commonwealth Stadium. Or, you could go to Keeneland on Friday and spend what should be a beautiful fall Saturday tailgating.

Calipari visited Romeo Langford yesterday

John Calipari has mainly focused on the 2017 class during the fall recruiting period, but last night, he went to New Albany, Indiana to check in on 2018 star Romeo Langford. The top ranked shooting guard has Kentucky in his top ten, but Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, and Indiana are in hot pursuit. Hopefully Calipari convinced him to take the short trek to Lexington for Big Blue Madness here in a few weeks.

Here’s a look at Big Blue Madness Campout

Remember: the campout itself doesn’t even start until tomorrow morning. #WePeopleAreCrazy

Tickets to the Blue/White Game go on sale NOW

This year’s Blue/White Game takes place Friday, October 21 at 7 p.m. at Rupp Arena and will be televised on the SEC Network, but if you want to see the new team in person, you better get on Ticketmaster because tickets JUST went on sale. Upper level seats are $5 and lower level seats are $10. Click here to get yours, or call Ticketmaster at 800.745.3000 or the Rupp Arena Box Office (859.233.3535) between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

This Karl Towns vine makes me smile

Radio in an hour…

23 Comments for That Debate’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

1. Sentient Third Eye
    9:11 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

Last night we saw what it is like to have two people without an ounce of debating skill or quick-wittedness about them embarrass themselves on national TV for ninety minutes, each fighting to the become, on day one, the most-unliked president in US history (based upon multiple polls). The only thing that will allow either to ever show their faces in public again is their mutual total lack of character. But at least they have something in common, I guess.

• secrick
      9:39 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

Wrong Obama is the most disliked President in history based on common sense.Sorry about the political comment.

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:43 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

I still got the same vibe last night that I historically have gotten when Kentucky plays Vandy in football. Total ineptitude on both sidelines. Can we just restart and find someone remotely qualified for office?

• Mathlete
      9:57 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

@SECRick – I guess you haven’t heard of Andrew Jackson? From a historical perspective, he might be the closest thing to a supervillain we’ve elected President (so far)

• The Professor
      11:33 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

Secrick, obviously you hate Obama more than any other president. (Hmmm, I wonder why!) However, he enjoys a 50% approval rating at the moment which is unusually high for someone this late in their 2nd term. If he were eligible, he would easily win a 3rd term against Trump. That is a far cry from the most hated president in history!

• UK Big Bored Update
      5:02 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

Obama is a good human; W is/was terrible. Hilarity roasted CHRUMP. I like Pence. If it were Pence and not comb-over ego maniac, I’d vote for Pence. CHRUMP is irresponsible. At least Hilarity has slightly more ability than CHRUMP. Both are unloved; but I’ll vote for a jack-leg who can lead (Hillary) over a jack-leg that can’t (CHRUMP).

2. InigoMontoya
    9:32 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

I’ve heard of “Bob the Builder”. But now “Karl the Builder”?

3. runningunnin.454
    9:36 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

“Where have all the flowers gone”? Oops…..
    I meant to say, Where have all the statesmen gone?
    That was a petty, immature spectacle last night!

4. Sentient Third Eye
    9:56 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

I wonder if UK officially protested that non-call on the late hit that temporarily injured Boom? That play still burns me because official errors like that get kids hurt. No excuse for missing such a blatant penalty (two, in fact).

• Mathlete
      9:59 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

Right in front of him no less, the tackle, the late release, and the second hit all literally happened 4 feet from his face and he called exactly zero of the three.

Props to Stoops for lighting that ref up for it too, especially since you can get tossed out for that now

5. Gimpsey
    10:46 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

LET ME TELL YALL SUMTHIN. KILLARY WILL RUNE THIS CUNTRY AND WE WILL WINED UP FENDIN FOR OURSELFS. SHE A KIDKNEE STONE TO THIS CUNTRY. TRUMP NEEDS TO BE PRESIDENT CUZ HES HONEST TRUTFIL AND GREAT. PEEPLE IN KENTUCKY NEED GET OFF THERE ASS AN VOTE TRUMP

• jbake1uq
      11:05 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

Yikes…not sure if serious Gimpsey

• Gimpsey
      11:17 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

VERY SERIUS. HATE SEEIN A CUNTRY I LOVE GO DOWN THE DRAIN

• jbake1uq
      3:36 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

Got it, too each their own. But I disagree that she has kid knees.

6. katmandue2you
    11:16 am September 27, 2016 Permalink

Amen Tyler…couldn’t agree with you more on the state of politics in this country! All I could think as I watched the debate was how pathetic that half the country is in step with Hillary and the best the other half could come up with to oppose her was Trump. SAD!!!!

• UKBlueGreen
      12:02 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

Neither one gave their best performance last night. I understand the interruptions on both sides. Debate questions can’t be answered in a limited time frame. Both took a few knock out punches. Debates are for entertainment purpose only. They won’t change the opinion of voters.

7. porkchawp
    12:24 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

this country needs to WAKE UP. China beats us in deals all the time, Mexico is taking alll of are jobs while we take all of there criminals and rapers, taxes are to high and the rich and they cant create busineses, stores, aka JOBS PEOPLE. Hilary fumbles governent classified emails like drew barker does footballs. how can you people trust her when she can’t even keep her husband in check??????we need change and we need trump, he algae the best outside view of politics and can make us great again. Just listen to his plans, and open your eyes and you mamby pamby morons may finally see the light. Also ive seen many articles that say Obama is the most hated president known to date. he’s done nothing but flush this great nation down the toilet with his healthcare and same sex marrage.

• jbake1uq
      3:34 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

You should try forming your own ideas. Couldn’t keep her husband in check? Donald isn’t one to talk about affairs, but I totally understand that facts are optional. Donald leads from the front in that respect.

• dcgirl
      3:41 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

jbake1uq — Dude can’t form sentences asking him to form his own opinions is a stretch. Uneducated white guys are Trumps mainstay.

• The Professor
      4:05 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

porkchawp, I hope that was supposed to be satire. If not, perhaps you should look for a remedial English class to get you up to a 5th grade level.

• porkchawp
      4:08 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

i care more about FACTS then I do spelling and making sentencs. but I guess that the liberal mind, ignore facts at all costs. ill be here all day when ur ready to talk facts you silly demmys

• UK Big Board Update
      5:48 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

• porkchawp
      11:47 pm September 27, 2016 Permalink

wow uk big board update sharing wjhite supremacy websires on ksr. cant believe matt Jones allows this crap!