Tennessee pauses basketball activities after positive COVID tests

Add the University of Tennessee to the growing list of schools shutting down college basketball activities prior to the start of the season. The Vols paused all events after some of the team’s COVID tests returned positive, says Jon Rothstein. Head coach Rick Barnes is among the positive.

Tennessee was set to host Charlotte in the season opener this Wednesday night, followed by another home game against VCU on Friday. Those are now canceled.

In case you missed it, Ole Miss canceled its first four games of the season earlier today.

Ole Miss cancels first four games due to COVID-19

We may not get college basketball after all.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Tennessee pauses basketball activities after positive COVID tests

1. UKFanSC
    1:10 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Another canary in the coal mine….we are crazy to think we’ll be able to pull off a season with so much depending on the virus management of other programs. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the NCAA moves the season into spring of 2021…..the Pitino solution is looking more probable by the day.

Did I mention I hate this f:cking virus ?

• mashman 93
      1:43 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

They pulling off a season in every other sport. Why can’t college basketball do it?

• UKFanSC
      4:42 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Man I hope so….. I’m just not sure all D1 programs are as conscientious as we are. All it takes is one guy on an opponent team to quarantine the whole group. In football you have 90-100 guys to fill in, in basketball you don’t. Fingers crossed, but they’re dropping like flies right now. Over 25 programs are shut down across the US.

2. mashman 93
    1:43 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

are

3. 4everUKBlue
    1:52 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Two of my friends tested positive for covid, neither are have any symptoms…

4. mashman 93
    2:40 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

I know seventeen people who had this crap

• 4everUKBlue
      3:05 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Any of them have any symptoms?

• mashman 93
      5:07 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

Two of them both men lost both senses taste and smell for a couple of days nothing else. Hell, I worked around some of them so I got tested last Friday and was negative.

5. jaws2
    3:49 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

I have a friend who tested positive on a Tuesday and negative on Friday of the same week. Seriously. My brother went to the emergency room after fainting in his home and literally had to ‘squirm’ on the floor for TEN hours to reach his phone for help. The hospital gave him the test and would NOT release him from Emergency room to a regular room until his test came back. It took TWO DAYS! And we’re supposed to stop our lives completely based on testing? This is ridiculous.

6. Bluehender
    4:00 pm November 23, 2020 Permalink

We have one in the hospital, I’d say he’s in his 50s. Several others out who have tested positive. I have a friend who’s daughter works at Deaconess Hospital in Evansville. They are bringing people by helicopter from St Louis, because they are out of beds there.

• Bluehender