Tai Wynyard transferring from Kentucky

Here’s news that shouldn’t come as a surprise: Tai Wynyard is transferring. UK just announced that Wynyard will be granted a full release with no restrictions.

“I want to thank everyone who has played a part in my two and a half years at Kentucky – everyone from the coaches to my teammates to the managers and the staff,” Wynyard said in a release. “Everyone played huge roles in my time here. I’ve been lucky enough to have gained experiences one could only hope to have in a lifetime. I’ve had the privilege of playing with and against some of the best talent in the country at Kentucky and my hope is to one day follow in their footsteps.

“This decision wasn’t an easy one for me to make and I appreciate the commitment and support Coach Cal and the staff gave me in reaching it. My goals haven’t changed. After meeting with Cal, something that he always talks about is doing what’s best for the individual. Everyone is on a different path. Although that path will be somewhere else, I’ll never forget this place. From day one, beginning with my first home game vs. Louisville in 2015, this place has shown me nothing but love. I want to thank you for your support. Kentucky will always hold a special place in my heart.”

Wynyard came to Kentucky in December 2015 and redshirted his initial season. He appeared in 23 career games, scoring 19 points and grabbing 27 rebounds, but was limited this season with a back injury. In February, he was suspended following a report that he attended parties at UK with an armed bodyguard. Calipari didn’t comment on those reports, but wished him well.

“We haven’t had a lot of players transfer, but when a player comes to me and asks for a fresh start, I will always support them,” Calipari said. “We talk all the time about this being a new experience for our players, but I believe it was even tougher for Tai because of where he came from. To come to a new country in the middle of the season and try to carve out a role was difficult, but I’m proud of Tai for the person he’s grown into.

“I know this decision wasn’t easy for him because he is just now starting to learn who he is and how he can contribute to a team. We are sad to see him go, but he has our full support and we will do whatever we can to make sure he can continue to pursue his dreams. That’s what this is all about here at Kentucky.”

Best of luck to Tai in the next chapter.

[mobile_ad]

34 Comments for Tai Wynyard transferring from Kentucky

1. BlakeBlueNation
    3:40 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

He wasn’t a big player on our team and these leaves another opportunity to sign a player such as EJ Montgomery

• Cletis75
      5:16 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Only the strong survive and survival of the fittest are sayings for a good reason! Competition separates the cream from the rest of the crop, and the strong move on. Like Cal says,”this ain’t for everybody!” I am sure he wants playing time, and there are easier opportunities elsewhere. Good luck Tai!

2. Patrick_David
    3:42 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Good luck Tai….

3. RajonTheDon9
    3:44 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Screw Coach Cal. Fire his butt! If he doesn’t support the 2nd Amendment he has NO business coaching at Kentucky!! Fire Cal Dot Com!!!

• ClutchCargo
      3:45 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Obvious little brother troll is obvious. But thanks for stopping by. LOL!

• runningunnin.454
      4:13 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I support the 2nd Amendment; but that comment….ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• Han
      4:16 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

The sad thing is there are probably people who actually think like this and have no idea why the 2nd Amendment exists anyway.

• It’s okay. Tai will take his Glock 17 defense with him.
      HIY-YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BTownUKFan
      5:08 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Cal doesn’t need a firearm, his wife has her Conceal and Carry so don’t eff with him when Ellen is around.

4. Smyrna_Cat
    3:44 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Is having an armed bodyguard against team rules?? I wish him the best.

5. PkP_UofK89
    3:44 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Hate to see guys leave. Someone will def pick him up though.

6. rickwhitetx
    3:48 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Best of luck Tai. I hope you succeed where ever you go, what ever you do.

7. Nickytoonuthugger
    3:49 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Dont really know how to like mashed potatoes and clouds. If you touch jello sweet peas will appear. Firflus in the darkness if u yell 5 3 will appear how u doin?

8. StuckinLville
    3:54 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Tai chose to leave, Cal didn’t force him out the door. More than likely he didn’t want to put in the work to get out of the dog house. Just frees a scholarship for someone else. Good luck to him.

9. LegggoooCats
    3:55 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Good luck to the young man. Never understood his fit at UK in the first place. He could probably be a good contributor for a smaller school. Hopefully he doesn’t go Charles Matthews on us and lead his team to the title game, SMH. That said, I hated to see Matthews go… I always saw a lot of potential in him. Tai… not so much.

• Luether
      2:47 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Matthews got his lunch eaten tonight by a red headed white dude…

10. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:59 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Nice kid, met him in the Bahamas. Hopefully he’ll go on to be like Charles Matthews at Michigan. Also, it may even help UK with an extra scholarship freed up. Good luck, Tai.

11. Bobbum Man
    4:01 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Meh

12. JerryDamage
    4:08 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Is his bodyguard transferring too? I thought that was a package deal.

13. runningunnin.454
    4:15 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

The young man’s main weakness; he couldn’t touch the ball without traveling…every time.

14. michaelb
    4:30 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

My question is … does having an armed body guard kick him off the team ? That doesn’t seem like a far out thing …? I must be crazy because this seems like an okay thing to me

• notFromhere
      5:49 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Probably. Got some football players home just by having a permit

15. Jiminy Crickets
    4:50 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

We almost average a transfer a year, since cal. Darnell Dodson, Stacy Poole, Ryan harrow, Kyle wiltjer, Marcus Lee, Charles Matthews, tai wynard.

Some have had little success elsewhere: Dodson, Poole
    Some had great success: wiltjer ( fantastic college player, was at one point considered player of the year), harrow (harrow was a star a GAState averaged 18pts 4ass, and now plays pro ball in Greece) and Matthews starts for Michigan and plays tonight for NC.
    Moderate success: Marcus Lee averaged 12 pts, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks per game, on a terrible (8-21) California bears.

All these players were 4 and 5 star recruits, and none (maybe Matthews, but it’s unlikely) ever went to NBA.

But to say “we haven’t had many players transfer out”…,that’s a stretch

• Cletis75
      5:09 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

When you give out 5-8 scholarships a year, you should expect at least 1 transfer per year. With all the incoming talent some players feel like things aren’t clicking and the competition is too much for them to overcome mentally, so an easier path to playing time is more enticing. With Tubby, some of our best players were rushing out the door. That’s cause for concern, not this!

• tippytoe
      9:14 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Next up: Tyler Herro

16. Jiminy Crickets
    5:19 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I never said it was a concern, just pointing out we’ve had 7 players in 9 years transfer, 3 of them did well for themselves, 4 did not.

• Jiminy Crickets
      5:36 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Well I should say 3 did well, 3 did not, book still out on Tai

17. notFromhere
    5:47 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Best wishes for him! Tai could’ve been a great addition any year he’s been here. Wish Cal could figure out how to use people past a 6 man rotation.

18. coachcalrulz
    7:24 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I absolutely hope that Tai goes on to have a great career somewhere.I believe that he would have eventually became a solid contributor for UK. He will have the benefit of practicing for a season with his future team and he will show everyone what type of player he is. I wish him nothing but success in the future.

19. tippytoe
    9:10 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

And another white boy bites the dust!

20. Righteous1
    11:54 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

There will be more transfers. Those that transfer could play in the Final Four with another team before the 8 million dollar man takes UK to another Final Four like Charles Matthews did for Michigan.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      12:56 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Well, Cal’s been to more Final Fours than any other coach since he’s been at Kentucky and was one last second shot and missed defensive assignment from another last year, but I’m sure you think you have a point in that muddled brain of yours.

21. chris43
    6:15 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

Not my intentions to down the player by any means but I never fully understood why he was at UK to begin with considering the players we normally go after.