Still laughing at ESPN leaving Murray off its Top 50 in March list

murray-smile

I’ve seen a lot of dumb stuff on the internet — hell, I’ve written plenty of it myself — but ESPN’s “50 Players Who Could Make The Most Noise In March” list is next level dumb, simply because it makes no mention of Jamal Murray.

To be fair, the list was released before Murray scored 28 points against Tennessee, last night. At the time of its release, Murray had only scored 26, 24, 35 and 21 points in four consecutive games, with an average of 19 points per game on the season.

Maybe I’m being a little biased here, but give me Murray on the Players To Watch list over names like Montana’s Martin Breunig, NJIT’s Ky Howard and Valparaiso’s Vashil Fernandez. With all due respect to those guys, and many others I’ve never heard on the list, I believe Murray will be a little more noisy this postseason.

Tyler Ulis is on the list at No. 17, so we do know the ESPN college basketball staff has seen at least one Kentucky game this season.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Still laughing at ESPN leaving Murray off its Top 50 in March list

1. Ken Grizzle
    10:48 am February 19, 2016 Permalink

You do realize that ESPN hires mostly ACC/Big East grads…….don’t you? Good article and I agree whole heartedly.

2. Blue_Cat75
    10:54 am February 19, 2016 Permalink

FYI, this is an INSIDER article. Not everyone has an Insider subscription.

3. BK
    11:08 am February 19, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, averaging nearly 22 per game in power five conference, projected top ten draft pick, can (and does) score in every way possible……no way he belongs among the top 50 performers to watch….absurd….but it provokes UK fans, and isn’t that the point?

4. UKALLDAY1
    11:25 am February 19, 2016 Permalink

Who cares what they say. Jamal Murray is one BAD dude.

5. smahurin
    1:23 pm February 19, 2016 Permalink

They chose 1 player from each team. Tyler Ulis was the player chosen as “player to watch for Kentucky”. You can debate whether it should have been Tyler or Jamal… but I think you missed the fact that they explicitly chose 1-guy from 50-different teams. Not multiple guys from the best teams.

• somerset bill
      1:48 pm February 19, 2016 Permalink

this does seem like a crucial piece of information. i don’t have insider and it doesn’t say that in the preview.

• smahurin
      2:44 pm February 19, 2016 Permalink

Yes they chose 1-guy per team (50 total teams) and just listed them in the order in which their teams currently would be seeded. IE UK is generally considered a 4/5 seed at the time of this article so Ulis was listed at #17 (4 seeds are 13-16, 5seeds are 17-20). They even say they aren’t ranked based on anticipated impact but strictly based on where the players team would be seeded if the selection process were done today (at the time of the writing). Kentucky can’t be seeded twice, so they get 1 guy on the list.

• J-Dub421
      4:15 pm February 19, 2016 Permalink

Then they should have titled the article “1 Impact Player from 50 Different Teams Expected to Make the Most Noise in March.” Any player from Valpo or NJIT won’t be in the tournament long enough to make any noise.

6. ukbradstith
    2:56 pm February 19, 2016 Permalink

I’m on team Jamal, but I wouldn’t have him on the list over Tyler Ulis. You can’t put him on the list over the other guys mentioned, because they don’t play for UK.