Steve Masiello calls millennials a “fraudulent generation”

steve-masiello-031427

Remember UofL women’s coach Jeff Walz’s epic rant about participation trophies a few months back? Well, former Kentucky player and current Manhattan coach Steve Masiello went on a similar rant last night after his team lost to Siena, the Jaspers’ third straight loss. Masiello, who was an assistant at Louisville under Rick Pitino before taking the head coaching job at Manhattan in 2011, said his team struggles with adversity because society today — their generation in particular — is “fraudulent.”

We’re a fraudulent society top to bottom. Our society is fraudulent. Everything about our society is edited. Everything about our society is pre-arranged, So this generation is a fraudulent generation.

What I mean by that is they put their Instagram picture up the way they want. They put their tweet out the way they want. Nothing is interactive or real. So when things don’t go the way people want them to – people will struggle with when it’s not 70 degrees and sun and the stars aren’t exactly aligned and it’s not exactly 4 p.m., and they didn’t get exactly eight hours of beauty sleep. Young people today struggle with that. Our society struggles with that. For me, I can’t speak for other coaches. I see it more than ever when adversity comes in, people struggle.

They’re not bad kids. This might be one of my favorite groups I’ve ever had. They struggle with adversity, and that’s a byproduct of our society today. I think we are a reflection of our culture today. Not to get too deep.

The irony of this coming from someone who lied about completing his degree at UK on his resume is rich, but well, it will certainly get people talking.

[The Score, via @SamBlum3]

68 Comments for Steve Masiello calls millennials a “fraudulent generation”

1. BigBlueFootball84
    10:06 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

“This generation doesn’t know what difficulty is. They’re soft, and don’t know how it used to be” – Every previous generation about the succeeding generation

• CATandMONKEY
      10:12 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Your quote and statement are both true.

• That is true, but you have to admit there are differing levels here. Just look at the meltdown videos from the aftermath of the election, and look at this peaceful protest video:

See also what #5 says below. That speaks VOLUMES.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:24 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

☝🏼☝🏼 anyone who believes that the earth is only 5,000 years old loses all credibility with me. No disrespect.

Who raised the generation that feels this entitlement? Who made the participation trophies for them?

• zack8274
      12:18 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Chris, I have seen videos of boomers melting down over less during the 60’s. Every generation thinks they walked 15 miles to school, uphill both ways, in -15 degree weather without shoes or a coat, and then had to eat slop. Every generation is stupid when they’re young, but guess what? They grow up! They get a job, and they adapt! It isn’t unique, it’s the way society has functioned forever.

• jaws2
      2:02 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

And THEN, they become Republicans!!

• Big Board, no offense taken, but many “Young Earthers” like me believe it’s actually more like 10,000 or 20,00 years or so. And you are correct about who raised the millennials, but that doesn’t determine whether the participation trophy mentality is true.

Zack, you are correct too, but I still say there are differing levels at times from one generation to the next. Marco Rubio is being roasted right now simply because he didn’t say “she” or “Chelsea” when referring to “Private Manning” as he put it.

• Sentient Third Eye
      3:39 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

@chris gettelfinger, Manning IS a he. Forcing Rubio or anyone else to say “she” is to force him to lie, which violates his freedom of conscience. It’s about mind control, like in “1984” when Winston is told to believe that 2+2 “is sometimes five” instead of four. Forcing people to deny reality is the worst possible form of hatred.

• I agree STE.

2. 859BBN
    10:11 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

The man that lied about graduating from college is calling a generation “fraudulent”

• Booby Petrino
      10:19 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

perhaps the old saying “takes one to know one” is coming into play here.

• 4everblue
      10:40 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Pretty sure Mrs. TT already said that…

3. david8577
    10:17 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

In general, every generation is getting softer. I mean that literally; just look at obesity rate trends. The generation after this one is going to be completely pathetic, taking mega-doses of antidepressants, wearing virtual reality glasses all day long, and being fed rocky road ice cream through an IV. There are exceptions of course, but this is the future. I’m also not trying to say I’m better than anyone, just one man’s prediction of the future.

• kvltclassic
      11:12 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Sign me up for that ice cream IV

• david8577
      3:35 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Also, I think that each generation getting “softer” is sort of the consequence of success and a rise in standard of living. Same reason why married people tend to “let themselves go”, why kings in England would be fat slobs by age 35. It’s why kids in rich neighborhoods can be buttercups, but kids in the ghetto will come at you like a rabid dog over the last chicken wing. Tough times make tough people. This country hasn’t had really tough times in decades.

• fauxbobknight
      10:53 am January 24, 2017 Permalink

David, that sounds like the plot of Idiocracy….

4. ukjaybrat
    10:23 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I can see both sides of this argument. I get that every generation underestimates the capability of the next generation.

But to be fair, we have made technological advancements during this generation that dwarf every other generation in the history of mankind except for maybe when we discovered fire… oh and sliced bread.

I firmly believe the more technology we get, the lazier we get. not just the next generation. myself as well. we used to have to remember things like dates and factoids and things like that because we didn’t always have a textbook laying around. but now google is in your pocket at all times. that convenience means we remember the lesser important things. Not to say that means we are dumber as a society. Just that we rely on technology to do things we used to do ourselves. This one tangential example is pretty relevant in many areas of society imo. Again, i’m not really condoning throwing the next generation under the bus because that’s really just a cop out and it’s never really completely true. But it’s also not exactly an unfounded conclusion either.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Check out 1969’s Zager and Evans “In the Year 2525”.
      “Everything you think, do, and say is in the pill you took today”
      “Your arms hanging limp by your sides, your legs have nothing to do…some machine’s doing that for you”.
      Ha Ha Ha!

• EdC
      11:30 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Technological advancements built on the foundation of technology advancements made in prior generations. I haven’t seen anything technically foundational from the Millennials yet.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:32 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Boom. You just got disproved by two lines from a book from the 60’s that one guy read!!!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

• 4everblue
      11:36 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

NASA is still using the same rocket technology as they did in the 60’s.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:39 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. And NASA hasn’t been to the moon (or left low earth orbit, for that matter) since ’72….

• runningunnin.454
      2:43 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

“In the Year 2525” was a song, actually pretty prophetic.
      “Won’t need no husband, won’t need no wife,
      You’ll pick your son,pick your daughter, too…
      From the bottom of a long glass tube”.

• wesmorgan1
      2:45 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

“NASA hasn’t been to the moon (or left low earth orbit, for that matter) since ’72…”

OK, not with MANNED flight, but I’d say that they’ve stayed busy beyond Earth’s orbit…

5. UKFORLIFE
    10:35 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I have no problem with what Steve said. I work for a Fortune 100 company and before we let anyone manage employees they must complete a 3 day course on how to manage Millennial’s. In general (not all) they have an attitude of “I deserve this”, “I shouldn’t need to wait or earn it anything”, and heaven forbid if something goes wrong, they cannot handle the general stresses of the day. In addition, they have no sense of boundaries or loyalty to anyone or anything and we have found their work ethic sorely lacking. Again, not a judgment on all but at least my experience would tell me Steve’s assessment is accurate.

• Any company having to actually train for that speaks VOLUMES!

• UK Big Board Update
      11:30 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

What’s the program called? Can you take course as a Millennial? Why does it take three days? How many actual volumes does it speak?

• zack8274
      12:20 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Dude, I have seen that exact post copied and pasted to Facebook at least 100 times. If you’re going to copy and paste a chain Facebook post, at least try to find one that’s somewhat obscure.

• Hartline
      12:21 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

I work for a Fortune 500 company and as a manager and a Millennial, I have to take classes on managing 3 different generations of people. All have their pros and cons.

• wesmorgan1
      2:50 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

zack8274: FYI, I can’t find that text when searching Facebook OR Google, except for its use here at KSR. Got links?

• Luether
      10:02 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Good post UK. Zach is full of BS…

• THE William Hill
      1:34 am January 24, 2017 Permalink

Well, UKFORLIFE, you have Obvious Troll Luether’s approval, whatever that’s worth.

6. Sentient Third Eye
    10:37 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

He has a very valid point. A lot of people (not just Millennials) are essentially simulating life on social media rather than actual living.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      12:51 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

This is the greater point of his comments. You are right. I see it all the time…the perfect posed pictures, the shared/stolen comments, people are very desperate for attention…heck even I enjoy when my comments on KSR turn to bold font!

7. Souf beach Lou
    10:40 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

40% of active duty military is 25 years or younger that goes to 50% if you include 30 year olds, which is the age range of the millenial generation. Yeah I take my chances with the kids

8. secrick
    10:44 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

If this generation doesn’t know how easy they have it then it’s the older generations fault for letting it happen.

• CatsfaninFL
      11:04 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Yup…Millennial’s weren’t the ones buying participation trophies…

• EdC
      11:32 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Ding ding ding … winner.

• 4everblue
      11:40 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

The Indiana powers that be bought the 2012 Hoosiers sweet 16 rings to make those losers better about not winning a meaningful game. Hell they even built a shrine to put the game ball in.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:41 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

And we’re the “powers that be” at Indiana old guys, or Millenials?

• Booby Petrino
      12:00 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

How long have participation trophies been handed out? I don’t recall them when I was a kid, and I’m Gen X. I feel like they’ve only been around the last 10 years, which is pretty much when Millenials started having kids.

• CatsfaninFL
      12:11 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

BP…born in ’80 so I’m barely a Millenial but we were getting them in the 80s. Every player on every team at end of the year got one.

• Booby Petrino
      12:56 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

well shame on my Gen X friends, sound like they started this. Not me, I don’t have kids 🙂

• wesmorgan1
      3:02 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Now, THIS is truth.

9. UKFORLIFE
    10:45 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I am very thankful for the military men and women of this country, of all ages. Military doesn’t count in this discussion. They are managed very strictly, in ways that the general population is not and employers cannot. Can you imagine athletes being given the same set of rules that our military operates under?

• Souf beach Lou
      10:51 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Yes, however the military us still voluntary which means we still have a great number of kids choosing to make the sacrifice

• 4everblue
      11:44 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

We also have a some volunteering because they are poor, can’t get a good job or an education. You don’t see many well off kids volunteering and if they do like W Bush…..well look it up.

• zack8274
      12:26 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

If you’re going to cry about an entire generation, then you can’t exempt the ones you like from the discussion. They’re millennials too, and they made the choice to serve their country without a draft forcing them to. I guess they’re just better people than the boomers that burned their draft cards, or fled to Canada.

10. catsarerunnin
    10:45 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I had to walk 10 miles to school uphill both ways!

• UK Big Board Update
      11:27 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I smoked 2 packs a day unfiltered, and worked in a steel mill. When I was 11.

• catsarerunnin
      11:51 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

You had store bought cigs???

• runningunnin.454
      3:04 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

My Dad walked 11 miles to school and 11 miles back, and never missed a day in 18 years; so, I have to tip my hat to the WWII generation…they probably were the Greatest Generation.

11. henderblue
    10:46 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

My experience with millennials is very similar to what #5 UKFORLIFE says. It’s a sad commentary about the world today, but it’s a very much real assessment

12. henderblue
    10:47 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

And what #8 secrick says holds some truth as well

13. nashvillecatsfan
    10:57 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I’m pretty sure those teams he is losing to are playing with individuals of the same generation.

• Maybe the other coach knows how to manage millennials better. See comment #5 above.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:36 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

And maybe commenter #5 completely made up that story.

• nashvillecatsfan
      11:49 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I question a 3 day training program specifically for managing millenials. Seems like they would need to do some actual work at some point to remain a fortune 100 company rather than having multi-day training sessions for such specific topics.

I agree that technology has definitely made things physically easier for each generation since the beginning of time. It brings new challenges as well.

Maybe Masiello’s generation just sucks at coaching. Just joking, I am of his generation btw. I just find it pretty stupid to make such generalizations to excuse one’s own failures, especially someone that lied about having a degree.

14. catsarerunnin
    11:31 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Millennials who feel entitled weren’t born that way. Just sayin.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:40 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Wait…..are you saying they were raised by…….then generation before them….??? 🤔

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:42 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

That’s true, but remember that not all Millennials are still kids. An awful lot of them are grown, and now as adults, it is their responsibility to act like adults. To be fair, my experience is that a lot of them do so, but probably less than half. It is the other, slightly-more-than-half of grown Millennials who ruin the reputation of them all. They should not be known as a “lazy, entitled generation”, but as a very divided one, because one side turned out very well, and the other side became the living stereotype.

15. Bill3
    2:08 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

A bit strong for an entire generation don’t you think?

16. Lori M
    3:17 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

A three day course in how to manage someone? I’ve worked with people who have ten years of college to learn how to manage people. But then again they aren’t night managers at McDonalds.

• Sentient Third Eye
      3:44 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t understand the three-day thing myself. It takes three days to learn how to bitch-slap someone for smarting off?

17. catsarerunnin
    5:43 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Yes it’s called Bitch Slapping 101…

18. Don Kean
    11:45 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

While parents are seemingly more passive in rearing children in the latest generation, the real problem lies within the educational system. Discipline is a thing of the past. The schools have overvalued an education, all while training the work ethic right out of the students. Knowing how to do your job,(the education component), is the easy part. The hard part of life is being disciplined enough to go to work daily, (whether you feel like it or not). Also being on time and respecting authority are slowly becoming antiquated traits of he past. I still cannot get the absurd vision out of my head of college age students being handed crayons and coloring books because their candidate lost an election. God help us.

• THE William Hill
      1:32 am January 24, 2017 Permalink

Dafuq are you talking about? I graduated from two excellent KY colleges, and never once did I encounter anything that you are “talking” about…