Steve Alford sitting in on UK meetings and practice

(Photo: USA Today/Mark Zerof)

(Photo: USA Today/Mark Zerof)

As John Calipari took the podium for his pre-LSU press conference Monday afternoon, he entered with a man who looked a lot like Steve Alford, the former UCLA head coach. Turns out, it was Steve Alford, the former UCLA head coach. Alford is in Lexington as a special guest of Calipari.

“He and I have been friends for a long time, so he said he wanted to come in for a couple days,” Calipari said. “So he’s here today. I don’t think he’s staying for the game, but he’ll watch us practice. He’ll be at the radio show tonight. I’ve known him for 30 years or so. He’s a great guy. Terrific coach.”

Alford was fired from his gig at UCLA back in December after a very disappointing start to his sixth season in Westwood.

He spent this past weekend at Tennessee checking in on Rick Barnes and the Vols program.

Article written by Drew Franklin

52 Comments for Steve Alford sitting in on UK meetings and practice

1. a21CATSfan
    5:34 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Be nice to replace Barbee with Alford. He should’ve taken the IU job when he had the chance. CATS

• FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
      5:45 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Mannnn it would’ve been tough to turn down the sunshine and beaches of Southern California for the road construction and corn of Southern Indiana. Maybe that’s just me

• I agree FlatTop, but I believe he could have had that job when he took the Iowa job instead. There’s no shortage of corn there either. I don’t know about road construction though. 😉

• chardun20
      6:52 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

a21CATSfan, why would it be nice Alford to replace Barbee? They both underwhelmed as head coaches.

• bigblue98
      6:58 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

The way Miller is coaching right now he might get the IU job next year. Miller is doing about the same Crean did at Indiana.

• a21CATSfan
      7:05 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Alford might get a recruit or two to actually play for Kentucky. CATS

2. maximumscott
    5:43 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Looking for a job

3. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    5:47 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

One of Barbee and Justus will be gone next year, not both. If I had to guess Justus will be on the staff next year as he’s the lead guy on recruiting

4. BLUEDOUG65
    5:52 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I am a huge fan of Alford’s . Even though as a young cat fan I hated him . He was a great player step slow for the pros but man he lit it up in Knights moving screen offense. Very smart heady player sometimes those guys don’t make good head coaches . Not sure why ? Kyle Macy didn’t do that well at Morehead so cosching is just so hit and miss as those guys are both extremely smart people and know the game .. comes down to the jimmies and the joes

5. ghost of whackamo
    5:54 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Robic is nearing the end of his career and Alford is inquiring about the Director of Basketball Operations (4th Assistant) or whatever that job is. I thought Robic had some health concerns a year or so ago and he is not getting any younger. Just a thought.

6. BLUEDOUG65
    5:55 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

He and knight had a falling out surprise surprise as knight is an asshole ! I always thought Alford could resurrect IUs program

7. Let’s hope he’s not spying for Barnes!

• J. Did
      5:30 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.Precisely my first thought: Spy.

8. Wade
    6:37 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Spy for us hopefully

9. Catcasey1
    6:41 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

He may get the I.U. job in a couple of weeks just say n

• Thanatocoenosis
      7:21 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Isn’t IU still paying off Crean? Doubt they will want to have two ex-coaches on their payroll.

10. No more excuses cal
    7:10 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully he still got enough pull with UCLA to get cal hired there Anything less than a conference regular season and tournament title and a national championship and cal needs to seek employment elsewhere

• 4everUKblue
      7:29 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Better get used to Cal No more excuse aka BigolSlaterMedic, he’s not going anywhere, but you can.

• catsarerunnin
      7:40 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

The Slaternator has lots of IDs but no brains.

• Rockitout
      7:52 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

When I read a NMEC post his words remind me of an armpit fart. Don’t know why, it just does.

• 4everUKblue
      7:56 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Ever notice Slaternator rhymes with masterbaiter? Probably because he’s been fishing around some bathhouses.

• bigbluebanana
      8:15 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Bigolblue rhymes with fat loser troll with tiny peen, too. What a coincidence.

• BigolBlue
      11:05 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

And you think my humor is childish. You guys are like the nerd frat boys who think that is humor

• friendsofcoal
      9:35 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Why can’t you all learn to ignore the dumbasses on here? When I see comments posted by these idiots I don’t even read them. Ignore and they will go away.

• bigbluebanana
      11:12 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Coal, because it’s fun. We ignored combatmedic98, so that account went away. I’ve been ignoring and looking the other way on ignorant, spoiled UK fans like these guys all my life. I for one will always take up for my team. Plus, it’s just so easy to make them look foolish, even when we don’t respond.

• Brutal Hustler
      9:11 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

He’s right. NO MORE EXCUSES, CAL. I want to win all 5 Power 5 conference tournaments and then win the NCAA and NIT tournaments this season. NO MORE EXCUSES CAL

11. blueblood4life
    7:15 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Would love to have Alford beside cal!

• Alleykat16
      7:44 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I don’t understand anybody wanting a coach that got run off from his last job over a HALL OF FAME, NATIONAL CHAMPION COACH. That’s just crazy. All Alford has done is Winn 20 plus games a year and never coached a team to a single final four, he may have but I really don’t remember it. Oh wait maybe while he was at SEMO U. (South East Mo.) But I really doubt it

• bigbluebanana
      8:16 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I think blueblood meant he’d like to see Alford coaching beside Cal…not Alford besides Cal, as in, him coaching us instead.

• blueblood4life
      11:22 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

U are a idiot

• ukcamel
      9:50 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I think “beside” here means “next to” – as in as an assistant. I’d 100% take Alford as an assistant coach. He knows basketball.

• blueblood4life
      11:22 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Agreed!

12. Alleykat16
    7:38 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he’s just going around to different teams practices and coaching meeting seeing what mistakes he was making at UCLA. I’m sure he’s in no hurry to get back to coaching since UCLA had to pay him all that money that they still owes him.

13. Hereforbeer
    8:07 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Are we seeing Cals replacement after retirement!?

• bigbluebanana
      8:56 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

No, Cal will be here at least another 5 years, probably more like 10+ if he wants to. Val’s actual replacement probably isn’t even well known yet. But who cares really, bigolblue, mashburnfan, and no more excuses are gonna be the holy trinity that saves UK from this dumpster fire Cal has turned us into. We are the laughing stock of basketball. Im so ashamed.

• BigolBlue
      11:06 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

I hope not banana. Another 10 years with no title would be hard to swallow. Like your momma swallowing my jizz

• ibescootch
      11:20 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Well, that took an unseemly turn.

• bigbluebanana
      11:20 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

That’s a classy comment. My mother died when I was 9. I held her hand as she cried and apologized for leaving me so soon. You’re not gonna come up with a mom joke that’s going to upset me more than real life bro. Bring her up all you want, I’m sure wherever she is in this universe she’s not paying attention. I never resort to your type of jokes dude, ever. I just point out how stupid you are. You’re just a bully, you scream contrarian crap, then when you get smoked, you resort to these type of jokes. You may be an idiot, but I truly hope you still have your mom around to enjoy. I lost my mom when I was 9, my son lost his mom when he was 5, yet you still like to make middle school comments about both. I’m bigger and better than that, so I’ll stick to making you look even dumber without relying on 13 yo boy humor.

• BigolBlue
      12:35 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Hypocrit. You make personal jabs at me on the daily. You just cant handle them in return

• katmandue2you
      1:24 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

BigolBlue you just affirmed your a jerkass. You need you need some woodshed discipline.

• StillBP
      7:22 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

BoB is so vile. Go away, nasty ass child.

14. truBLU
    8:13 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Let’s hope not

15. Racerr11
    8:22 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Cal is the man and a great coach. These trollers on here need a life.

16. binarysolo
    8:59 pm February 11, 2019 Permalink

Cal doing that thing Saban does where he gives consultant jobs to recently fired HCs?

17. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:14 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Hated him when he was at IU but always respected him.

18. RickysVD
    6:15 am February 12, 2019 Permalink

Pearl is cal replaced when he retires