Stephen A. Smith said UK planned to fire Coach Cal last season

Quite possibly the dumbest thing you will hear all day, Stephen A. Smith told ESPN First Take viewers that the University of Kentucky planned to fire John Calipari at the end of last season. According to Smith’s “sources,” had the Cats not made the unexpected run to the Final Four, Coach Cal would’ve been fired by Mitch Barnhart.

“My sources told me that if John Calipari had not gotten to the Final Four last year, that Kentucky was going to fire him. Because you have a situation where he’s not particularly liked by some folks at Kentucky. He’s not particularly liked by some of the power brokers within the NCAA fraternity. And the combination of those two things was putting immense pressure; they don’t like how he is using the one-and-done rule to really be the face of college basketball.”

You can listen to Smith’s comments on the First Take audio replay here. He begins talking about Calipari and Kentucky around the 1:10 mark.

It might be time for some new “sources,” bud.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Stephen A. Smith said UK planned to fire Coach Cal last season

1. GrumpyOldDude
    5:52 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure it was a black thing and we wouldn’t understand…..oh wait…..

2. Kevin C
    5:54 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Apparently the “A” stands for Asshat.

3. Dusten
    5:55 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

That is UNDOUBTEDLY the dumbest thing I will hear all day. That’s dumber than the WVU player saying we would be 36-1 after today. That’s so dumb it makes my head hurt. I wasn’t sure how I felt about SAS before, but now I know he’s an absolute idiot.

4. mikeintn
    5:58 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree, couldnt have said it better. Dusten

5. MikeUKFan
    5:59 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Clutter B.S. Clutter

6. deWildcat
    5:59 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Thanks Dusten – you nailed it.

7. Reese Davis
    6:01 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

This is why Skip Bayless always destroys Stephen A. is these debates

8. Reese Davis
    6:03 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

All he had to do was take a look at our comment section after the loss to South Carolina.

• The Truth AKA HelloNuWorld
      6:33 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

I agree it’s so funny how soon people forget how crazy SOME not all fans use to talk last year about how they did not like the system of having players around one season despite being the best prospects. There were several fans who would continuously complain about Cal the players and how they would rather we recruit four year players. Steven A. Smith comments although off base are not that far fetched. Consider this scenario, we lost a couple more games, didn’t perform well in the SEC tournament and ended up not making the tournament last year and went to the NIT again. Would you guys be singing the same tune at the end of last year?

• Dubowski
      7:05 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

ssssshhhhhhh dont upset the herd.

9. WildcatScratchFever
    6:10 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

He is a loudmouthed idiot. I can’t stand to watch anything he’s on. We (and I include myself) were extremely dissapointed in how most of last season went, but no program fires a coach the season after a championship. That’s crazy talk.

10. Bluebleeder
    6:24 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

I couldn’t bring myself to click or listen to that trash. These guys are just trying to get attention. Refuse to give it to them.

11. BluKudzu
    7:07 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

I think the three previous seasons taught a lot of people how things can turn out. It taught me. We can win it, we can have a season that was not so strong, we can lose to South Carolina and then make the championship game.
    It is mercurial to say the least, and one heck of a ride. I was not ready to fire the coach, but I also know 10 losses per year won’t provide a friendly environment either.
    It is all part of the package I suppose. I do enjoy these teams, and will continue to do so.
    I hope coach JC stays forever.
    A. S teven S mith, spoke from sources, I will cut him some slack. I find it hard to believe UK and Cal would have parted ways.

12. 25OR624
    7:16 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

This is complete horse hockey. Do not believe the lyin’ hype. Just another man looking for attention. What an atrocious joke. Smith needs to cite his authority; otherwise, he is disparaging the UK administration and good name -. and he needs to pay dearly.

13. david8577
    7:23 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Some of the talking heads in sports are as bad as an anonymous comment section. This guy is a blowhard basket case.

14. mcp157
    8:04 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

A lot of media cannot stand UK’s recent upswing and will stop at anything to get Cal to leave. He is dominating college ball and Smith, Wilbon, and others are haters planting wild seeds in frustration. Cal’s not going anywhere and lookout NCAA.

• Catsby80
      8:35 am March 27, 2015 Permalink

Wilbon loves Cal… you’re off base there.

15. HanOfTheBluegrass
    8:12 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Same sources hearing Cal’s already gone to the NBA. Same sources always hearing a player is transferring for more playing time. Same sources always hearing players hate each other or are ignoring the coach and just playing the game by themselves. Same sources that say recruit X won’t play with recruit Y.

It’s just rivals and losers trying to take away our joy because they’re jealous.

16. Leuther
    8:28 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Haters are gonna hate…

Stupid is as stupid does…

17. Luvas
    8:42 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Did he mention if UK was going to replace Cal with Julius Randle’s single mother with two jobs or was Mitch going with Mario Chalmers?