Stats that need to improve in SEC play

stats-jan1

As we await tomorrow’s SEC opener against Ole Miss, let’s take a look at five concerning statistics that need to improve over the next couple of months….

Jamal Murray’s turnovers

I had seen enough of Jamal Murray about halfway through the second half of the Louisville game. I wanted him to go to the bench and not return. I was so frustrated with his seflish, careless play offensively. He was trying to do too much, and he wasn’t accomplishing anything. As I said before, Archie Goodwin thought Muray was playing out of control.

Then he hit back-to-back threes moments later and all was forgiven, but I haven’t forgotten those seven turnovers in the game.

Murray now has 40 turnovers on the season to go with only 34 assists for a 0.8 assist-to-turnover ratio. That has to improve, and it will if Murray will settle down and stop trying to force the action.

Skal Labissiere’s lack of rebounding

It’s New Year’s Day so I’ll save the dead horse from another beating, but it deserves a mention since we are talking disappointing statistics.

Labissiere’s rebounding has been nonexistent for a player of his size and caliber. Isaiah Briscoe, a 6-foot-2 perimeter player, averages two more rebounds per game than the Kentucky big man. Tyler Ulis, the shortest player on the court at all times, rebounds at the same rate.

Kentucky’s three-point shooting

The Cats rank 314th nationally in three-pointers made this season. The team’s 31.7 percentage is ranked No. 273.

Jamal Murray is the best at the long ball, but he has the Ohio State game to thank for that. If not for his 7-for-9 flurry on the Buckeyes, Murray’s 39 percent from deep drops to around 33 percent.

As with all statistics in this conversation, three-point shooting must improve.

Tyler Ulis’ minutes

Ulis is among college basketball’s hardest working players at over 35 minutes per game. Calipari recently said his point guard was playing too much, then he played him 39 minutes in the very next game.

“He was cramping up,” Cal said of Ulis in the Louisville game. “I was just trying to get out of the game. That’s all I was trying to do.”

Cal also thinks Murray and Briscoe are playing too much and he hopes to cut down on all three guards’ playing time. The recent emergence of Dominique Hawkins will certainly help out in providing rest for the starters.

Isaiah Briscoe’s free-throw shooting

Mark my words: Isaiah Briscoe will cost Kentucky a basketball game with his foul shooting. At some point during conference play (and hopefully not in the postseason), Briscoe will go to the line late in a close game and ultimately cost Kentucky a victory. We just need to accept that now to help ease the pain when it happens.

He is really, really bad at the line.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Stats that need to improve in SEC play

1. Kizzy
    8:24 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

But yet somehow, he is playing for UK, Annnnd, your not. Seriously, stop being so judgmental. Everytime I read your posts I get angry. You talk alot of mess for a guy that can’t do nowhere near anywhere close to better.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:35 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

“that can’t do nowhere near anywhere close to better.”

Beautiful.

2. Lip Man 1
    8:29 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

It’s not just Briscoe…Poythress, Lee and Matthews are brutal too.

But remember free throws aren’t important to Cal apparently or he’d be placing a bigger emphasis on them in practice etc.

3. Tom Morgan
    9:24 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

Coach Franklin why don’t you tell us how you really feel. I agree with you on some, some I don’t.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:37 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

o·pin·ion
      əˈpinyən/Submit
      noun
      a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
      “I’m writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance”

a·nus
      ˈānəs/Submit
      noun
      the opening at the end of the alimentary canal through which solid waste matter leaves the body.

What do these two have in common? Everyone has one.

4. bosshogg24
    9:45 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

Murray Needs spot up shoot and not try to dribble all the air out of the ball, this is not the Globetrotters!

5. jonthes
    10:08 pm January 1, 2016 Permalink

Let’s remember that Briscoe was a really good free-throw shooter in high school. He’s trying too hard, and when he relaxes he’ll be fine.

6. symphonist41169
    9:32 am January 2, 2016 Permalink

“Labissiere’s rebounding has been nonexistent for a player of his size and caliber.”

Size – agree.
    Caliber – ??? Nothing I’ve seen so far tells me he’s anywhere NEAR the caliber of big men we’re used to having at UK.

• Captain Obvious
      1:49 pm January 2, 2016 Permalink

Thats because you are a symphonist, and not a talent scout.

7. Shelby
    9:52 am January 2, 2016 Permalink

God read drew: i agree on Murray–imo he’s at his best coming off screens in a catch and shoot scenario. He seems much less effective as a dribbler just taking his man one-on-one. I think he’as an extreme talent, i don’t think he’s selfish, i just think he’s trying to do too much.
    I’ve come to believe this season depends on the folosing,
    1) Ulis staying healthy