Start the Countdown… 100 Days until Cats vs. Spartans

Feb 2, 2019; Gainesville, FL, USA; Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari reacts against the Florida Gators during the first half at Exactech Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

The countdown can officially begin. 100 days from today, Kentucky will open up the 2019-20 regular season in New York City against the Michigan State Spartans.

If you’re anything like me, just hearing those words makes you want to run through the nearest brick wall.

Luckily for us, the Kentucky football team is only 34 days away from kicking off against Toledo to start their regular season, so we can keep our palette wet with football until the blue and white hits the hardwood.

This will be the third time that the Cats and Spartans have played in the Champions Classic with each team winning once.

I think it is safe to say that it can’t go any worse than last year’s first game and that fact alone has me ready for basketball, luckily we only have 100 days.

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

29 Comments for Start the Countdown… 100 Days until Cats vs. Spartans

1. maximumscott
    5:22 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Stop.

• mashburnfan1
      10:37 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

How many days till the NBA Draft? Seems that is what UK is now all about. Everyone jumps on here saying we have all this talent now and coming. Well on the coming players I hope they are as advertised but I have learned {seems many UK fans have not} to wait and see how good they are at this level before claiming them the almighty. Skal was a top get and best since sliced bread, well he was terrible. Diallo was all this and that, all he could really do is jump. Nick was best C in the class and 2 years later, even at 7 foot tall, the NBA still does not want him. Listen I hope all the new guys play like AD, Wall and KAT, hope Ashton, Nick and Quickley all improve as much as PJ did but FACTS are we don’t know what kind of title chance we have till January or so in most seasons.

• 4everUKblue
      11:15 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Not even going to read this jackass’s daily diatribe, I already know what an ignorant, insignificant POS mashbum is. Wants so bad to matter but doesn’t. Face it masbum, Cal is here until he decides to leave and that makes you miserable….I get so much pleasure just knowing that. Ha ha ha!

• flappy
      6:15 pm July 29, 2019 Permalink

Palate

2. Redman1423
    5:30 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Can we please stop posting about basketball every 15 min when football is right around the corner? It’s ridiculous it almost makes this site unbearable

• nocode96
      5:34 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

You guys don’t have to read it…I promise no one is forcing you to.

Also, there’s a pretty good chunk of us who, though we enjoy UK football, it’s nothing at all compared to the love we have for the basketball program. Personally, I’d rather see an article about our basketball team practicing than an article about anything football related, and I’m not the only one. Only I don’t jump on here and complain about because something isn’t to my liking. At UK, it’s ALWAYS basketball season.

Lastly, a very quick google search yielded quite a few places where you can go if you just want to see things about UK football.

• mashman 93
      6:08 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you nocode96. Football is great but it’s always Basketball season. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!

• catsarerunnin
      6:18 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Then obviously your “Redman” ID says it all. The red dirty birds have a site. Go there.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      7:35 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Well it’s pretty easy not to complain when you consistently get the basketball articles you want.

• Tom Bombadil
      10:57 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Well said nocode….the goof doesnt have to read the basketball articles. There is a football tab on this website. Go CATS! #9

3. Redman1423
    5:40 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Oh trust me my friend I don’t read them. Typically the same reports about ex players playing overseas. Yeah I wanna keep up with our ex bball players but I know for a fact that not everyone wants to read 12 basketball articles before the next football one. To be honest I could t care less if you like basketball more I’m not saying I don’t I’m saying it’s bad that all they talk about is basketball and give little to no time to football which by the way I don’t know if you noticed since you were probably reading about basketball 24/7 but we are getting pretty good at football so I’m sure your claim that you aren’t the only one who would rather read about basketball is true but I think you would find yourself in little to no company in actuality

• VirginiaCat
      5:45 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

The only thing better than football and basketball news is a well placed “period.”

• nocode96
      6:33 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Lol, go look at the last 100 articles posted here. It’s like 40% football, 40% basketball, and 20% other. Reading about what our backcourt could be, or where a firmer UK player is getting paid, or a 5 star committing or even potentially committing is FAR more exciting than reading about some 3 star from Ohio who picked the Cats as his football home in 2021 or whether or not that slash dude went fishing. Again, to spell it out for you, this is UK. We all enjoy UK sports, and out of football and basketball, one is the greatest tradition in all of college basketball history with banners hanging proudly, and the other is the football program. I like Stoops, I’m happy they are turning a corner. I’m even hopeful that they’re becoming a fringe top 25 program annually now, but to come on a UK sports site and dog the writers for constantly covering basketball even though it’s closer to football season is a bold move Cotton. Even the diehard football fans around here no better. I’ll even double down; in the next 50000 years, UK football will NEVER, EVER rival UK basketball. Like I tell everyone else around here that gets picked on when they say dumb shlt, voice your opinion all you want, but don’t get upset when others call you out for your dumb opinion.

• kingbing
      6:59 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Smoke a joint dude!

• bbn606
      7:10 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Gee, let’s just countdown to football, have our main course and enjoy the dessert later.

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      7:38 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

There’s a difference between being a UK fan and a fan of winning. I’m not so sure some of the more basketball obsessed in the fan base are able to make the distinction.

• westkycat20
      10:36 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

I am from KY…born and raised…we grew up with a basketball in our hands…not a football. I wish the people that say if you don’t like football then you aren’t a UK fan would take a hike. Football was never a part of my UK upbringing. Never watched it and probably never will. Basketball never stops…

4. Skooms
    5:53 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Amen VA Cat! Whew, I’m glad I took a very deep breath before reading that. Commas would certainly help too!

5. kentuckybackupplayer
    6:23 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

UK is a basketball school. The boosters say so, the fans say so and so does the ghost of Bear Bryant.

6. rasputin_UK4573
    7:00 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Let’s hope this goes better than Cats vs Dookies last year.

7. carolinacat96
    7:35 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

I’ll never understand why some UK fans can’t just cheer for both teams. Yes, it’s exciting basketball is 100 days away. There’s been a ton of basketball news this weekend and that’s great. Throwing in the comment about football only keeping the “palette wet” is ridiculous. A ton of fans enjoy the heck out of football too and are excited about the upcoming season.

• mashman 93
      7:45 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

There was a guy that said posting about the basketball so much when football season was right around the corner made this sight almost unbearable. Really? Then don’t read it but saying that wasn’t necessary.

• carolinacat96
      7:52 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

I agree, it was a dumb comment and was unnecessary. It’s also not necessary to completely sh*t on the football program and the people that are excited for it. That’s my point

• mashman 93
      8:13 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Good point and here is mine. This was a basketball post so why even mention football? My other point is some people just like to bitch. I don’t get it. Just my two cents.

• carolinacat96
      8:31 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Agree with ya there. Fair enough. Happy Sunday and go cats!

8. catsfan25
    8:26 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Can we not just be excited that the offseason for UK sports is almost over? Football season is just around the corner and before we know it it will be time for basketball. I don’t understand why some people can’t enjoy each sport for what they are instead of cutting the other one down. And one other thing, if you call yourself a diehard Kentucky fan, wouldn’t you be excited about any positive news about every sport at any point of the year?

• carolinacat96
      8:46 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

^Exactly.

9. mashman 93
    9:02 pm July 28, 2019 Permalink

Amen to that my friend. GO CATS!!!

10. UKFanSC