kentucky, calipari
KSR-5964

By now you know our feelings on Kentucky’s uniforms. Like the players, we’re not fans of all that checkerboard, and even though I’ve kind of gotten used to it, my hate for it still flares up from time to time. General consensus is most people don’t like the checkerboard, but one sportswriter does: Sports Illustrated’s Luke Winn, who ranks Kentucky’s white checkerboard unis as his favorite standard home jerseys from a major shoe company this year.

“Although a prolific Twitter brandbot recently called Kentucky’s checkerboards the “worst college jersey Nike makes,” I am of the opposite opinion. The Wildcats’ checkerboard whites are actually one of the best home looks this season, a signature blend of a classic UK pattern with a modern jersey. My favorite, standard home jerseys from each major shoe company in 2016—17 are Kentucky (Nike), St. John’s (Under Armour), UCLA (Adidas) and Cal (Jordan):

Screen Shot 2017-02-03 at 2.49.29 PM

Agree to disagree, I suppose. (Although the white unis are way better than the blue.) Winn also calls for UK and Nike to make a throwback of Kentucky’s ’94-95 APEX jerseys:

Again, we’re agreeing to disagree on this one.

More jersey talk to agree or disagree with over at Sports Illustrated.

19 Comments for Sports Illustrated ranks UK’s checkerboard uniforms among the best in college basketball (Yes, really)

1. UK Fan In Nashville
    5:48 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I love them personally.

2. a21CATSfan
    7:11 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I still haven’t gotten used to the home whites. But, I love the road blues! Maybe just 2 rows of checkerboard would’ve looked better than 4.

3. Joey s
    7:21 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

Ms t. Are we to assume you’re ignorant of the fact that is not”checkerboard” but rather the silks of Secretariat? They are marvelous and if you millenials continue to complain we’ll end up with some monstrosity like the Delk icicles or that infernal K-state wildcat they’re hoisting upon us.

4. hdr
    7:24 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I like them as well. A lot of people don’t know what the checkerboard represents.

5. Lip Man 1
    7:31 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I like them myself.

6. Blue Jesus
    8:00 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I was in the camp that didn’t much care for them when we got a first glimpse in the preseason. But the shorter shorts and thin shoulder straps and everything else that looked odd at first actually wear pretty well. The players look sharp and sleek! (And they play fast, so what do I care?)

And as this comment section shows, I think people have come around to them. I suspect this is one of those situations where social media becomes an echo chamber for the naysayers, and all the pithy quips and memes knocking the checkerboard overstate and mask how seriously people really feel.

7. Brian in Franklin
    8:01 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I like them as well. Not as much as the football unis though.

8. railbird
    8:33 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I liked these unis from the outset. You stated “general consensus is most people don’t like the checkerboard.” Just how did you determine this consensus? Personally, almost everyone I have asked say they like them. Most of the naysayers seem to be associated with KSR. Maybe influenced by the opinion of the “boss”?

9. Luether
    8:40 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I like the Ky basketball home uniforms…

10. Cat68
    9:37 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

Our uniforms are flat-out gross. We are UK. We don’t need to give nods, shoutouts or anything to anyone! Especially those who aren’t even from Kentucky. Stop it already with the checkerboards! And Mrs. TT – you are definitely not ignorant.

11. Joey s
    11:20 pm February 3, 2017 Permalink

I stand by my commentary but do feel the need to point out that ignorant does not mean stupid but rather uninformed. There is no mention of the origin of the design being an homage to the silks of the world record holder for a mile and a half, but instead a reference to checkers. A fine game and a nice pattern but one that doesn’t carry the same very Kentucky-centric implications.

12. evilcarl
    6:03 am February 4, 2017 Permalink

Love the uniforms and I don’t understand why this place goes out of it’s way to put the idea of celebrating two great things, Kentucky and Secretariat. It is the attitude that we are “the cool kids” and don’t need to try that put the basketball program and football program it will take almost a billion dollars in upgrades to catch us up to our rivals. Plus, this “cool kids” attitude is what made Rupp arena one of the most boring gyms in the country.

13. EdC
    9:33 am February 4, 2017 Permalink

Of all the things there are I worry about with this team the uniforms does not really even come close to making my list. Fluff over substance.

14. ABthetruth502
    12:09 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

Say what you want about Uk’s ugly checkerboard unis. Truth is Tennessee had that look for a really long time now. (See their basketball court yall just lost on) And only the morons in lessington would bite another teams look, then say it’s from the silks from a horse from 30 years ago that has nothing to do w the university and has more to do with Uk’s arch rival and the world’s largest horse racing track in the great city of Louisville. Only in Lessington LOL

15. Doug Hensley
    1:00 pm February 4, 2017 Permalink

I LOVE the uniforms AND the new LOGOs (Both the Wildcat & the interlocking U & K). Just sayin’