“Sources” tell New Jersey website Calipari wants back in the NBA

It’s that time of the year again, when outsiders try to steal our shine. Today it’s in the form of a report from NorthJersey.com claiming John Calipari wants back in the NBA.

“He desperately wants it,” an unnamed front office official told the website. “He won’t say it out loud. The NBA is the only place he’s ever failed and it drives him nuts. He’s not the same guy he was then. He came to the NBA and he wasn’t ready. He’s ready now.”

The writer, Steve Popper, seems to believe it’s a perfect fit. New Jersey is desperate enough to give Cal the keys to the franchise and “sources” believe he will take the opportunity, if it comes.

But may I remind you, Cleveland offered Cal everything last season and he politely declined, knowing there was a very good chance he could coach one of the greatest basketball players ever. Why would he take a similar offer now in New Jersey? For the chance to coach a Plumlee?

Nah.

[NorthJersey.com: John Calipari can save the Nets]

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for “Sources” tell New Jersey website Calipari wants back in the NBA

1. Joe Dan Gorman
    1:58 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Nothing more reliable than ‘un-named sources’

2. millerkc
    2:01 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I could maybe understand the Lakers considering that location can draw in big time players, but New Jersey? If he leaves us for them ………… blah

• catdaddyd
      3:05 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

New Jersey doesn’t have a team. The Nets moved to Brooklyn years ago.

• millerkc
      3:17 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I knew that…. Jay Z’s team. Saw the “New Jersey website” and immediately thought of the Nets

• catdaddyd
      3:34 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Drew said NJ in the post, also I believe jayz sold his .0001 share of the team.

3. ClutchCargo
    2:01 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

A source just told me this NJ website is desperately fishing for hits.

4. dhighdrated
    2:03 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

rex chapman isn’t a reliable source, mr. northjersey.com

The article should be “calipari can save the nets, but why the hell would he want to”

• bouzoukiman
      2:24 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

You beat me to the Rex Chapman punch line.

5. millerkc
    2:06 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

He would easily have more talent walk through Lexington, than New Jersey. Unless you are looking at visiting teams. If he wanted to go to the NBA, I would think of the Lakers, Cavs, Bulls, Washington…… Not that I would ever want this to happen, but could you imagine if he went to Washington, got Durant (he has roots) and then brought in Cousins. That would be a fun scenerio. One that I hope would never happen, but still.

• Catsby80
      2:55 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

they couldn’t afford all those guys. those are 3 max contract guys. i don’t see any of them taking less than a max deal like bosh did in miami.

• millerkc
      3:18 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, but Cleveland has three guys that are max level guys. Irving, Love, and James. It can happen.

• msnthrop
      3:40 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Love is making 15 million this year, not a max player yet…

6. ukjaybrat
    2:06 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

“it’s a done deal”

7. BTownUKFan
    2:11 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully Cal has realized he can leave a much larger, long-lasting legacy in college than he ever could in the NBA.

8. BigBlueBoom
    2:12 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Sources told me that Cal hates meat and Mrs. Cal’s brownies. Credible?

9. new dreamer
    2:15 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Just another way to try and beat the CATS. Get in the mind of the team. Remember the last time this trash talk started.

10. RealCatsFan
    2:16 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

“He won’t say it out loud. ” – Seriously? Is this dude a mind reader? Cal-to-the-NBA rumors are as much a part of spring as dandelions in my front yard.

11. TJY
    2:23 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I hope this source doesn’t go on to rob an Apple store this summer.

12. david8577
    2:30 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Please no one click that link.

13. Bluebros
    2:33 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Cal is gone after this year, especially if they win. I think he might have left after last year but he knew the time wasn’t right. You couldn’t walk away from all those players returning. I think all basketball fans, (us included) would have been pretty burned, not to mention the players.

You go 40-0 and drop the mic and walk off the stage. Why stay at UK? He will never be accepted or fully respected as a college coach,(how did he NOT win COTY?!?). This job is intense, largely due to all of Cal’s success. He has created a monster and the pressure, time commitment, and constant criticism has to wear him out. Cal has mentioned many times that he would be leaving Kentucky before too long. He won’t retire here… 10 year maximum, giving someone else a turn. I think he keeps hinting at it but not all of us want to listen.

Why not coach the Nets?? He would be closer to his kids and he seems to at home in the Northeast. He will get paid the same, if not more… He would have full control of an NBA team, drafting his own players and shaping the roster. Living in New York as opposed to Kentucky.

He has said that he is in the business of helping families. Cal has thrown a big wrench in the NCAA’s perfect system of exploiting “student athletes” while profiting billions. Why not win on the biggest stage, go undefeated, and walk away with a smile so the haters can kiss his ass on his way to the NBA.

IF there was ever a better time to leave Kentucky, it would be after sticking it to ol’ Bobby Knight, the NCAA, and media while going perfect. What more could he do here?? Win a few more championships? To me, that has never really seemed to be his motivation, especially after winning one already.

I think Cal will be saying goodbye in less than a month. As much as I would hate to see him go… It would be with no regret. This has been the most exciting 6 years as a UK fan and anything past this season is gravy.

Sometimes its smoke and sometimes its fire. We at least have to consider that there might be some truth to this report.

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      3:02 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

A lot of interesting thoughts, but I don’t think Cal leaves just to have a “drop the mic” type of exit. And exactly how would his leaving “stick it to the NCAA”. They’d probably be happy to see him go. That way one of, if not the most, high profile college coaches is no longer a thorn in their side. As an NBA coach they can conveniently ignore him. As a very successful college coach, they have to give credence to what he says.

• J-Dub421
      3:10 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Cal will go back to the NBA. If he’s exhausted coaching a 40 game college season, what would an 82 game (not counting the playoffs) be like?

• Bluebros
      4:05 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Bledsoe’s Biceps – I just mean that by going 40-0 would be a nice way of sticking it to the NCAA. Using the one and done model and putting the focus on the players, not the institutions. Proving that Cal’s way not only works, it is perfect. After having two final 4 appearances vacated, it would be a pretty nice way to leave the NCAA… As the first coach to make it 40-0. After that, what else would motivate Cal to stay? Don’t think anyone knows except the man himself.

• Catsby80
      4:28 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

i think cal has made it clear that his motivation has become helping families overcome poverty and terrible situations… he talks about that all the time… about how this player came from the slums, now he’s able to provide for his parents…. i really think that he is passionate about helping kids and getting them out of the hood to give them a better opportunity

• cats42301
      6:31 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Would Cal have really made such a big play behind the scenes about wanting the KY job twice, once after Tubby left and again after BCG was fired if he only planned on being here 6 years and winning 2 national championships? He could have done that at Memphis more than likely had he stayed. The Tigers were head and shoulders above UK while he was there including a Memphis victory over UK. He said he wanted to come to KY because they were the gold standard of college basketball. Once again would he say all this just to ensure a 6 yr tenure at UK that would ultimately help him get an NBA job. Would he try to use UK as a stepping stone to coach an upper tier nba team? Again, I think he could have accomplished enough at Memphis to get him the same shot at an upper tier nba coaching job. I feel John has 2 choices; stay at UK until he decides to retire from coaching which he has more or less hinted would be about 7 years during that period I feel he and UK would amass another 2-3 national championships placing him among college basketball’s finest ever when it comes to games coached/national championships. Or he can attempt to go to an nba team as coach, GM, whatever else ownership gives him and win an nba championship with the league’s top players. Let’s say that happens does anyone forsee all the Cal haters in the press to all of a sudden rise up and state in union, “we were dead wrong! John Calipari is and was the top basketball coach of all history! We let our egos and personal dislike of Cal cloud our judgement when It came to his basketball wizardry!” Of course that’s not going to happen. As Pitino and Cal both know, regardless of who you are in the NBA if you don’t win soon and often you will yesterday’s news in no time. As compared to UK where he will continue to more thank likely be treated like a God for the rest of life! Where even when his coaching days are over a ready made position of basketball operations director could be created to keep his legend alive and to fuel his personality. Would Cal really leave and risk everything to go coach a bunch of millionaires while at the same time quitting on a group of young men whom you he promised to mentor? I say Cal will always choose the college athlete. I may be wrong but I do not think he will follow the path of Pitino and leave us high and dry. I hope and pray to God I am not wrong!

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      6:33 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Bluebros – I agree that no one but Cal can really know what would motivate him to stay. I just don’t see him looking at this as a great way to exit and get some degree of revenge and a “kiss my ass” moment. As Catsby80 says, Cal often talks about changing the lives of the kids he recruits. He also talks about UK passing UCLA for all time NCAA titles. I would also think he wouldn’t mind having at least 4 NCAA titles to his credit, so he is at least tied with Rupp and Coach K. But we just have to wait and see what happens.

• cats42301
      6:34 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I apologize for the long post! Heartfelt issue for me.

• Bluebros
      2:04 am March 26, 2015 Permalink

Bledsoe, Catsby 80 & Cats42301 – I support 100% of what you’re saying and I hope you three are correct. I don’t see ANYONE who could take over the program and maintain the hype that we’ve enjoyed over the past 6 years. On the court and off, I would argue that there has never been a better coach, at a better time than Cal at UK.

That said, I also think that as much as UK needed Cal back in 2010, Cal needed UK. Even if Memphis were to hit those FT’s (and avoided OT) back in 2008 to win the Championship, Memphis would still be viewed, (at best) like a Syracuse, Maryland, or Louisville. Yes, they won a Championship but the stage just isn’t as big compared to Kentucky.

Cal is a basketball coach but he is a pretty good business man and he brought his brand to the biggest stage in college basketball. His success has been magnified x 100 at UK, which is why he will have his choice at several NBA jobs next month. His haters call him a shady, slick, self promoting, man but in business, most of the successful ones share the same traits. We are all UK fans and we know better than anyone else, this is a business and its big money. Its one of the reasons why we’re so lucky to have Cal as our “CEO” of UK basketball. The man gets it!

I absolutely, firmly, positively, and without any doubt know that Cal will never leave UK for another college basketball program. There is a Zero percent chance of that happening. But… from a business perspective, his stock has never been higher and it might never be this high again! If he were to leave, it would be a business decision. I think if he stays at UK after the next couple of months, we can all start to believe that he will retire from coaching at Kentucky.

Who knows how long he stays but a LOT of money says he’s going after this year. I’m guessing he could have his pick of 3 to 8 NBA jobs. So catsby80, your theory will be put to test in a couple of weeks. Does he leave UK for the NBA or is he really all about uplifting HS BB players and making kids rich. I think the next few weeks will highlight his legacy as a college basketball coach and if he has the desire to be an all time great at the college level or another shot at the NBA.

Also Bledsoe… We might disagree about Cal’s mentality on leaving college basketball but who knows what he is thinking. I’m just saying that sweet revenge is best served cold. IF he were to leave college basketball, there isn’t a better way then going perfect on the season. His name will be permanently carved into the NCAA record books. That would be a perfect, “screw you guys, I’m going home” kind of moment. Thats what I mean by dropping the mic and leaving the stage.

All that said… The man would be crazy to leave UK now!! What worries me? The man is crazy!

Whatever happens later is no matter now. GO CATS and lets get #9! We’ll clean up after the party

14. keiths
    2:37 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

his son Brad will walk on here, Cal will stay until he graduates, and then retire

15. Bluebros
    2:39 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

keiths… I like your theory better 🙂

16. Adam From Awesome Trot
    2:52 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Do any of these sources know Brian T Slade?

17. meeksfor3
    3:01 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

C L U T T E R 🙂 🙂 🙂

18. DT in DC
    3:03 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Continuing the what if game…. Who could possibly come in to replace Cal? I can’t think of another coach I’d want to have right now.

• ClutchCargo
      5:11 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

This is exactly the kind of think the guys with “sources” are hoping to stir up. Don’t feed the trolls.

19. catdaddyd
    3:09 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

New Jersey doesn’t have a team.

20. MPoole
    3:34 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

He will leave but not for the Nets. Close though.. he will go to the Knicks. That’s why Phil Jackson was here… not to see KAT but to see Cal. The Knicks are a disaster right now and they need something huge to get their swagger back. Cal is just that. Just my opinion…. no sources!

21. msnthrop
    3:38 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

This can’t possibly be true

Lebron would not have left Miami last year if the Heat had won the NBA Championship, and even if he and Cal talked about whether he should accept the offer from Cleveland, which I would bet they did, I don’t think Lebron could have given him a firm answer one way or the other. At the time Cal was making this decision there was definitely not “a very good chance” that Lebron was going back to Cleveland. Still I think Cal really wants to equal the accomplishment of his mentor Larry Brown and win it all at both levels so he will leave eventually.

22. sammydog
    3:41 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I think Cal will retire at UK. He has said his goal in life is to improve the lives of as many families as he can. That is best done at the college level. NBA players and their mommas are already wealthy and pretty much have their characters set. The NBA is a cold profit driven business that cares little about the lives of their players or their families. I don’t think Cal is particularly drawn to the lifestyle of an NBA coach unlike Pitino.

23. AndTheDevil
    3:42 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

I assume they mean Brooklyn. yeah, Cal wants to go coach a team that has no assets to use to trade for better players, no draft picks for the next, what?, 7 years. Yeah, I’m sure Cal is chomping at the bit for that job.

24. Patrick_Wren
    4:26 pm March 25, 2015 Permalink

Bullshi$ noise……all this is! Free your mind and your a$$ will follow. I stopped paying attention to this nonsense years ago.

Simply enjoy the greatest Coach ever for as long as we have him…..! 36-0 has been an incredible ride. 40-0…..just WOW!