In a very special edition of the Sources Say Podcast, KSR’s Jack Pilgrim is joined by future Kentucky point guard Devin Askew and his father, Brian Askew, to discuss the Cats and just how excited they are to get to Lexington later this year.
To start the show, though, Pilgrim is joined by Travis Graf of Cats Illustrated to break down Johnny Juzang’s decision to transfer from Kentucky, along with some new buzz surrounding Jonathan Kuminga and Greg Brown III.
Among the topics discussed:
- The transfer rumors with Juzang started back in January, but did they ever really disappear?
- Why did the former four-star guard leave?
- Was the coaching staff caught off guard by Juzang’s decision?
- What would his role have been next year? And who will have to fill it?
- Jonathan Kuminga posts a video doing the John Wall dance with a Kentucky Wildcat graphic, teases that it “might” be him one day
- Does it mean anything?
- Graf discusses a recent conversation he had that could be a good sign regarding Greg Brown and his upcoming decision
- Can UK actually land him?
Then, Pilgrim is joined by future Wildcat Devin Askew and his father, Brian, to talk all things Kentucky basketball.
A few talking points:
- What are they doing in their time off? How is Askew training for Kentucky?
- How difficult is the reclassification process? And how long did he know he was going to make the jump?
- Askew tells the story of John Calipari convincing him to reclassify to 2020
- Why was the five-star guard’s visit such an eye-opening experience?
- What was Calipari’s pitch? How does the Kentucky staff see him fitting in with the current recruits?
- A scouting report of the remaining five UK signees
- Does Kentucky need more pieces next season?
- Being a West Coast kid, what does he have to say about speculation that he could be the next Johnny Juzang?
- Why Askew is “DIFFERENT” than other California kids
- Could Immanuel Quickley and EJ Montgomery return? Askew hopes they both do.
You can listen to the show directly right here:
Missed this week’s episode with Graf and David Sisk breaking down Kentucky’s upcoming NBA Draft decisions and the 2020-21 roster? You can find it, along with all future episodes, by subscribing to the official Sources Say Podcast feed on iTunes right here. Not on iTunes listener? You can also subscribe to the show on Spotify.