Source: Kentucky cuts ties with Brandon Huntley-Hatfield

Photo: Nick Koza

Photo: Nick Koza

Once seen as a near-lock to end up in Lexington, Kentucky has opted to back away from the table in the recruitment of 2022 five-star forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, sources tell KSR.

Huntley-Hatfield, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound forward in the junior class, is considered the No. 6 prospect in the 2022 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Sources tell KSR that Kentucky hasn’t spoken to Huntley-Hatfield since the 6-foot-10 forward transferred from prep powerhouse IMG Academy to Scotland Performance Institute in Scotland, PA back in July, opting to part ways at that point moving forward.

This afternoon, the five-star prospect announced he would be cutting his list to six schools this Friday at 1:00 p.m. ET, with sources telling KSR that Kentucky will not be included.

Kentucky has long been seen as the favorite in Huntley-Hatfield’s recruitment since he jumped onto the scene as a high-profile prospect, as the Clarksville, TN native is loosely related to former Wildcat Alex Poythress. He has also said on numerous occasions that Kentucky was his dream school growing up.

“They feel like I can be a really good player in the future if I keep working hard and the sky is the limit for me,” Huntley-Hatfield said of Kentucky in an interview with Corey Evans of Rivals.com back in October. “I feel like I would want to be a part of that and growing up, that has been my dream school.”

While Huntley-Hatfield has made it clear he loves Kentucky, he also went out of his way back in June to tell fans he is open to all schools.

“I think we should get ONE THING straight…I love Kentucky, they were my dream school growing up and ALL those things are true but I am open and interested in ALL schools interested in me,” Huntley-Hatfield said on Twitter. “I am not stuck on one school whatsoever. My options are completely open! Just to clear the air!!”

With Kentucky out of the picture, Huntley-Hatfield currently holds offers from Ole Miss, Tennessee, Baylor, Kansas, Florida State, Wake Forest, and Ohio State, among others.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

33 Comments for Source: Kentucky cuts ties with Brandon Huntley-Hatfield

1. Corder
    6:15 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Interesting to say the least. His list seems different then most top 10 kids as well.

2. BlueSteel
    6:27 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Hmmmm ?

• panicpat
      12:26 am August 26, 2020 Permalink

Nocode calling people “idiot” behind his/her keyboard is getting old

3. runningunnin.454
    6:32 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

We can always sign a couple of more guards, ha ha.

4. BallDontLie
    6:32 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Does it even matter? Have seen kids ranked top 15 come in here and flop, then kids ranked 35-55 leave as lottery picks. These things seem to work out one way or the other. If the staff feel like cutting ties is in their best interest I assume there is good reason to do so and they have earned the right to be trusted on that.

5. Cokely53
    6:47 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

What an odd list for schools. I’ve always been a firm believer in telling how good a kid is by the schools that recruit them the most. And seeing a top 10 guy pick those schools sends out some bad vibes. Sure Kansas is a big school but with the trouble they’ve been in lately that’s more of a bad sign than a good one.

6. CJKAssassin123
    6:48 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

It probably means Cal is either expecting some guys to come back, other is planning on getting some bigs on the transfer Portal.

7. Dr. Tom
    7:06 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Oh well, the Kentucky program is not for everyone!! Believe in Coach Cal.

8. JT55
    7:12 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

The recruiting woes continue. Feel free to spin this however you want, they are struggling right now.

• nocode96
      9:03 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Okay. I’ll spin it to you being an idiot. Everyone well agree. This is a pretty big deal in recruiting and contract doesn’t just stop for no reason at all. Baffles me how the worst recruits Cal has ever brought in are still amongst the best in our history in tens of recruiting classes and idiots like you, every year, scream “he can’t recruit, it’s all over”. Do us all a favor and go start your own website with trashbum so the rest of us can avoid being irritated with your falling sky narrative.

9. Headhurts
    7:13 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Cal knows when to back off certain guys, next man up.

10. UKinIN
    7:41 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

The coaches get to make decisions too. It’s not just the player’s call. Maybe one day we’ll find out what happened.

11. BlueSteel
    7:54 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

The vast majority times we have backed out on a recruit (to the dismay of the fan base) or “lost out” on one we thought we had it has worked to our advantage. Sooner or later things come out and we are glad that we “Missed out”. It has happened time & time again. But this guy is very talented.

12. 44stewart
    7:59 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

I am going to bet someone is asking for some extras.

13. PensacolaCat
    8:10 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

$$$$

14. grammarpoliceUK
    8:25 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Going G-League no doubt.

• Bluehender
      8:45 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Maybe Tennessee??

15. Rick_S
    9:04 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Looks like Maze is going to send him to Tenn…

16. light my fire
    9:06 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he is a republican and not want to be told who to vote for.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      9:24 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Than he wouldn’t be a Republican.

• IrishCat
      9:27 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Best clap back in internet history. Well done truth.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:08 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

No it’s not. It has to be true for that to be the case.

• light my fire
      11:11 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Truth, surely you know better. Dems try to shame everyone to vote for them.

Anyway I guess Cal has a better plan. Be curious to see how good the kid ends up being.

17. Wilfred Smith
    9:26 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

On the podcast, someone said that UK had concerns about his motor. If you remember Richard Madison you remember how frustrating that can be.

18. Lip Man 1
    10:27 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Don’t worry everyone…Cal’s academic walk on’s will step in and save the day! LOL

19. light my fire
    12:57 am August 26, 2020 Permalink

Nice to see Rex Chapman compare First Lady’s dress to Hitler. With supporters like this no wonder we lose recruits. Especially coming from former drug head who got caught stealing from Apple Store. Way to keep recruits families at bay.

• KaliforniaKat
      1:35 am August 26, 2020 Permalink

Light my Fire… please do us all a favor and stop talking…

• _lilman_
      11:52 am August 26, 2020 Permalink

You’re an Idiot light my fire

• Bluehender
      2:16 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Well you got that one in just in time for dumbest comment of the day…yesterday. Congratulations..

• Bluehender
      2:18 pm August 26, 2020 Permalink

Nope. My mistake. It’s today’s comment and it takes first place away from the comment you made on another article, saying it was time for another coach. Great job of being a horrible commenter

20. light my fire
    2:37 am August 26, 2020 Permalink

I will

21. _lilman_
    11:52 am August 26, 2020 Permalink

He’s a fricken head case

22. KyZoneBlitz
    12:26 am August 27, 2020 Permalink

I agree with some of yall, recruits in the past that we all thought we had in the bag, and then the coaching staff backed off we found out later on that there were shady stuff going on with the family, or they weren’t the type of team players that come to UK and wanted guaranteed shot numbers, etc… My only real issue with us backing off of this kid, is the fact that he’s 6’10 230 lbs. Which doesnt grow on trees. Not to mention the fact that we’ve missed out on several PFs/Cs that I consider to be down-low bangers, not the 6’8/6’9 forwards with handles that want to stand on the 3-point line. Nick Richards and EJ Montgomery were the last 2 recruits taller than 6’9 that we reeled in. Took Richards 3 years to Play as expected, but EJ never truly did. There isnt as many bigger forwards/centers coming out of high school nowadays. Everyone wants to be a PG, shoot the 3, and handle the rock. Very few want to post up and vang down low. This kid has the size and body to dominate the paint. If only Payne were still here. Hopefully we learn that the staff and Cal found out some things that caused them to back off other than his “motor”. Remember, you cant teach size.