– Just to start, was that not one of the most awkward court stormings that you have ever seen? It just looked like something Vandy would have drawn up. By the way, it was against 16th-ranked Kentucky, a team with four in-conference losses, and Vandy had a winning record. Yes, I know they’re fighting for a tourney spot but still it wasn’t worth it, guys.
– Ulis went 5/20 and that’s why we lost. He is our floor general, and our morale leader. He couldn’t get things going yesterday, and we will not win with him taking 20 shots and only hitting 25% of them. Poythress and Skal were no-shows, but they aren’t our floor general and don’t carry the same impact on the team. Ulis made some uncharacteristic plays down the stretch and sometimes you have nights like that, but we had our chances to cut the lead down at the end and we didn’t get it done.
– Briscoe still can’t hit the broad side of a barn. God, it is so painful to watch this man shoot the basketball. His dribble drive mindset and terrific defense get him minutes on the floor, but he is an absolute liability shooting the basketball. I would be ok with Briscoe halting shooting jumpers for a while because it’s just not going in 65% of the time. His free-throw percentage alone tells the tale.
– Speaking of free throws, last night was the lowest percentage that UK shot from the free throw line this season, 10-23 (43.5%). That’s pretty terrible and you’re not going to win many games with those numbers. We missed 13 free throws and still had 3-4 chances at the end to make it a game. Calipari has seen what
Jamal Murray this team can do, so I understand why he isn’t upset over problems with easy solutions.
– Statistically we foul significantly more on the road, and teams shoot more free throws against us. Yeah, seems pretty typical. The beauty of this stat, though, is that the NCAA tourney is played at neutral sites, so who cares. Moving on.
– Jamal. Murray. Can we just let this dude start spraying at will like Steph? He’s one of the best scorers to put on a UK jersey, and he’s only at the prime age of 19. He had 21 points in the first half and had the Cats rollin’ high on confidence early, but the rest of the team didn’t really feel like helping out yesterday. Only four players scored all game. He had over half the points for the Cats, and he is the only player to hit a three since Derek Willis got hurt.
– We have lost 7/10 times teams have had 10 or more assists in a game against us this season, and yesterday was no exception. The Cats pride themselves on strong defense and our perimeter defense was just not there after the hot start. We looked like a young team missing assignments and not closing out in time, giving Vandy many open shots. Vandy didn’t even shoot that well and they still beat us (41.9%).