So, what was the beef between John Calipari and Mike Anderson?

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 9.16.39 PM

Us media folk at the arena missed it, but after the game, if you blinked, you might also have missed the postgame handshake between John Calipari and Arkansas’ Mike Anderson:

What was the deal with that?

“It’s fine,” Cal said. “He and I talked after. He apologized and I said, ‘If I said anything to make you mad, I apologize. I say all kinds of stuff.’ So, probably something I did say and he deserved to react the way he did, and we’re fine.”

Anderson was asked about the exchange and if he was okay with everything that happened:

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, we did. I apologized, yeah, we did.”

What exactly was the drama? Anderson threw his hands up in a dismissive gesture.

“Nah, just…I…It’s all under the bridge.”

Hmm.

13 Comments for So, what was the beef between John Calipari and Mike Anderson?

1. Long Dong Silver
    10:38 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Eff that racist. I hope they fire him this year.

2. LaGrangeCat
    11:51 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

He still salty about Malik Monk

3. GroundControlToNumber9
    12:10 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

LaGrangeCat got it.

Anderson gets pressure from Arkansas boosters to keep in state kids. When he can’t and loses them to Kentucky instead of just winning with what he can get he decides to hold a grudge like a 3rd grader.

Arkansas has had some success in the past so tehy have feisty basketball boosters. John Pelphrey felt the same heat there just as they would here.

Can you imagine if Cal lost a top in state recruit to another school?

I doubt he’d hold a grudge though… at the least own it instead of blaming others.

4. GroundControlToNumber9
    12:12 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

This also shows Anderson doesn’t respect Calipari and having beaten him 3 times in a row has gotten to his head.

• The Rest of the story
      1:06 pm January 22, 2016 Permalink

Learn some history dude. Cal has lost 3 in a row AT Ark. not last 3. Wake up!

5. Bluebros
    12:25 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

OR… Anderson was just upset at his team playing like a bunch of Amsterdam Clams and he got lost in the moment and forgot sportsmanship. I noticed the quick handshake too but dang, let a coach be pissed off for a couple of minutes. He shook his hand and followed the line with all the UK players. That is what is expected. Do you expect a kiss and a hug after such a game?

Dumb… His team lost at home for a possible defining game in her career at Arkansas! Shoot, I bet Bruce Pearl just got a million dollar raise after his win over UK last week. Let the man sulk…

• UKnowMe
      8:39 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

What the hell is an Amsterdam Clam?

6. millertime98
    8:32 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

On the radio broadcast you could hear them going back and forth and both Mike and Tom mentioned it. As a coach, it seemed to me that he was upset about Cal still having some starters in.

• Big Kat
      8:54 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

This is what it was. I don’t recall which (maybe Murray) but one of the starters jacked up a 3 with less than a minute left and plenty of time on the shot clock, which really was unnecessary.

Mike Anderson is grouchy but I seriously doubt at the end of a game he was really thinking back to a high schooler he didn’t get a few months back.

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

You can’t blame him for still having starters in though. This team is STILL a work in progress and needs all the game time they can get. especially in a road atmosphere…

7. KevinM
    8:35 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

Great coverage MTT! I saw the blow by and knew something was amiss because Cal always has something to say. This was because of Monk AND his teams performance.

8. scwhite9
    9:54 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

Well, that was silly. He sure let his little guy steal the ball and score with a few seconds left. I hope our guy might have stolen it for a statistic but let the clock run out.

9. The Rest of the story
    1:09 pm January 22, 2016 Permalink

Anderson just entered into the UK hall of fame Asshat coaches we love to hate. Damn too bad he won’t be around next year.