“Smoking Calipari” says right now, Kentucky is worthy of a 3-seed

bracketpreview

How does John Calipari picture the Selection Committee as they choose the field for the NCAA Tournament? He gave us a clear picture today when explaining why he likes the committee’s decision to reveal the top 16 teams one month before Selection Sunday.

“I like the transparency. I know there are some coaches that didn’t like it. ‘It puts more pressure on —” No, no, no, no. There’s transparency now. If someone moves in, we’ll all know why they moved in to the top four. If someone moves out, you will be able to write why they moved out. No smoke-filled room [puffs fake cigar], ‘I like them.‘ None of that. It’s out there. And now we all know.”

Yes, Calipari actually did puff a fake cigar in a GIF I’ll call “Smokin’ Cal”:

smoking-cal

The committee believes Kentucky is worthy of a three-seed in the East Region right now, alongside #1) Villanova, #2) Louisville, and #4) UCLA. What did Calipari make of the hypothetical draw?

“I said, ‘Put it in marker, permanent marker,‘ because there are times in the season I would say we deserved it, there are times maybe we were a little bit better than that, but there have been times where I’d say, really?? That’s never happened to me before, where they’ve given us a seed better than they should have.”

Does Calipari believe his group is worthy of a three-seed right now?

“Yeah, I would say because we’re a talented team and if we start defending and we’ll get our offense together and teams that we’ve beaten already, and you know, we’ve struggled some at times,” Calipari said. “Let me just say this to all of you, every team in the country is having issues right now. We just want to be better at dealing with ours than they are dealing with theirs.”

8 Comments for “Smoking Calipari” says right now, Kentucky is worthy of a 3-seed

1. Rixter
    8:23 pm February 11, 2017 Permalink

Without a doubt, the weakest group of 1 seeds in the history of the tournament.

• catsarerunnin
      8:43 pm February 11, 2017 Permalink

Thank you Joe Lunardi.

• ClutchCargo
      12:39 am February 12, 2017 Permalink

Agree. This is setting up to be a 2014-like tourney. Can’t wait!

2. kentuck1
    8:33 pm February 11, 2017 Permalink

The Cats are deserving of a three-seed, in my opinion. That will be one tough region, however.

They were hitting the boards better today against ‘Bama and they were playing better overall defense.

They still haven’t figured out how to hit with the killer punch? They were up 18 points at one time today. In the previous game, they were up as much as 25 points. And they gave a lot of it back in both games.

They are a naturally fast team. That is their most comfortable pace. However, other teams like to slow it down and work very diligently for a shot. The Cats have to learn to play at a slower pace, with patience and without turnovers. An ideal style for this team, in my opinion, would be a mix of the running game and a grind-it-out game. Once they develop a little more patience, they will be deserving of maybe an even higher seed.

3. maximumscott
    8:47 pm February 11, 2017 Permalink

Once they understand how to play slower and with patience, then there isnt a style they cant play at. This is there weakness, hence their struggle. They are getting better but we missed a lot of layups amd floaters today. This game could have easily ballooned to 30 plus points. They are def on the right path and its easy to see that the EVERY PLAYER IS LISTENING TO CAL. The effort was why we lost so bad at UF and why we lost at UT. Alot of teams are not playing their best right now and some are. Uk is heading in the right direction and I think there is plenty of time for them to iron out the kinks. Let Cal work. The biggest hurdle was getting them to understand they have to play with 100% effort at this level. Well, this game was proof of that. Furthermore, Bama has a top 25 Adj D (kenpom) amd they are rated a top 20 Rebounding team. Kenpom overall has them around 60. Not a powerhouse, but not as bad as others will say. Oregon was only able to beat them by 9 earlier in the season…. and listen to ehat there saying about Oregon. We beat them by the same amount and didnt even come close to playing our best. Just sayin, we are alot better on an off day than alot of teams, the difference will be effort on those days and right now they understand. Go CATS! Got my Final Four tix ready for PHX!

4. runningunnin.454
    9:26 pm February 11, 2017 Permalink

I’ll believe Virginia and W. Virginia out west, and UCLA in the east when I see it. Why would they punish the fan bases of those teams?
    I know one thing, they don’t want UK and UL in the final four again….the NCAA is certainly transparent….you can see right through them.

5. UK Big Bored Update