Shai Gilgeous-Alexander likely to join Knox next week

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was all set to announce his decision to leave Kentucky earlier this week, but pushed the announcement back, in part to see what Kevin Knox would do.

Now that Knox is off to the NBA, it’s almost certain Gilgeous-Alexander will follow. The decision is expected to come early next week, probably Monday.

Kentucky’s two All-SEC performers are each considered NBA lottery picks, with Gilgeous-Alexander now projected to go ahead of Knox in the draft. If there were any chance Gilgeous-Alexander would return for another year, it went out the window with Knox’s Friday announcement. The only hope for a second year would’ve been if Knox returned and convinced his good friend and point guard to give it one more try.

After Gilgeous-Alexander, fans’ eyes turn to Hamidou Diallo, who has yet to set a timeline or give any indication as to which way he is leaning. He could announce his intentions at any time, and the same can be said of the others, namely Wenyen Gabriel and Jarred Vanderbilt.

Until then, exhale and enjoy your Friday evening. No more sweating out Kevin Knox.

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander likely to join Knox next week

1. chris43
    6:15 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Eh I can handle losing Alexander, Knox, and even Diallo…but if anymore leave/transfer it’s going to suck.

2. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    6:33 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Bigs-SKJ, Richards, PJW, Wenyen, Vanderbilt, Montgomery
    Guards-Herro, Baker, Green, Hagans, Quickley, Johnson, Tandy

That is 13 players…and that is what I want if in fact Shai and Diallo follow Know to the NBA.

Is that asking too much?

3. tippytoe
    6:35 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

How old is our snake oil salesman? Can he PLEASE retire?!

• Smyrna_Cat
      6:49 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Is that you, Rick?

4. TonyMontana
    6:47 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I think we’re gonna be in good shape next season.

5. Smyrna_Cat
    6:49 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Can we go an hour on this site without the need to speculate … again … and again.

• BeejeCat
      7:01 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

But I heard that Shai’s cousin’s best friend has an aunt who was teasing him about her quilt making trophy in high school. He really wants to compete with her so I’m 99% certain he’s back to win a championship. Plus he doesn’t need the money because he’s no longer a freshman human and has evolved into a robot.

• runningunnin.454
      7:02 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Odds are against it.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      7:08 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I like the speculation. I’m not a big football fan, so I don’t read and comment on football articles…seems like kind of logic hasn’t occurred to you Smyrna

6. shelby
    7:09 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Give me pj, jared, quade, sacha, baker, nick, and the incoming freshmen and i can see a final 4 team by season’s end.

7. Rabbi Li
    7:14 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Drew said, “Now that Knox is off to the NBA, it’s almost certain Gilgeous-Alexander will follow.”

This doesn’t pan out at all.

Shai doesn’t need Kevin Knox to take this team to a Title game. We’ve got the nucleus in place where this team can thrive with Keldon, Harro, & Quickley coming in.

If Drew’s doom & gloom view of the world was based on fact then Shai would just immediately say “going to NBA” the moment Knox announced.

If you know something ‘Drew’ then say it… otherwise quit looking like a Negative Nancy.

8. KYcats11
    7:43 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I guess people who complain about 1 and dones don’t realize this… Our development at UK is second to none. Shai came in as a 4 star /, projected 2/3 year player, and came out as a lottery pick. What do you want Cal to do? Not coach? Or recruit so low caliber of players that we won’t ever win a single game? But hey, at least they’ll star for 4 years, right?

• wyatts1
      8:24 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

One and done is the nbas rule and I think everyone can agree it sucks shit. Unless you like having players for one year and having a new team every year. If you do then you don’t care anything about the history at UK and should move along. If we could get all the top players every year then yeah I say get them, but since everybody typically shares in the recruiting of the top 10 players then it is a must that we get some rope players such as a Willis, or Miller, or do. Cause without those players to help all these new kids coming in then there’s no way we win #9. I hope I’m wrong but idk, we need some glues guys that can help our “top 10 recruits” when they come in, cause they are a large difference between high school ball and college.

• KYcats11
      8:58 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I like winning…

• KYcats11
      9:06 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

And im not saying that we don’t need any multiple year players. I definitely think we need those players like Miller, Willis, and Hawkins, and I really hope we get KyKy Tandy.

9. TB112162
    8:29 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Tandy is a junior SMH

10. TB112162
    8:30 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

I bet Knox gets picked before Gilgeous-Alexander in the draft

11. JTA
    8:40 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

My favorite part about Knox was when he pretended he was actually thinking about coming back, then made a video last week saying he wasn’t.

• Booby Petrino
      8:53 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Your feelings are really hurt, huh? Cheer up, man. It’s not your life.

• Booby Petrino
      8:54 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Hey maybe he made two videos, one with each scenario. Would that make you feel better if he did?

• henderblue
      10:37 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

You just blew JTA’s mind.

12. kybirdieman
    8:40 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Another one off to the G league. No outside shot.

• CatManDo
      7:29 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

40.4% 3-point shooting

• kybirdieman
      10:48 am April 7, 2018 Permalink

Where was it against KArate if they can shut him down, what do you think the pros will do. Glad he will probably be another Cal millionaire but him or no one else was a consistent outside threat on last year’s team

13. Randall lee
    8:57 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Why keep putting off these decisions. It very selfish on their part knowing Damon good and well what there going to do. I’ve been a member of bbn for 50 years not just 5 months so that gives me the right to say so.

• Randall lee
      9:01 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

14. Randall lee
    9:03 pm April 6, 2018 Permalink

Also kycats11 it works pretty good for nova.