Seven years ago today, John Wall’s Sports Illustrated cover came out

19847_238273316366_3588294_n

A cool memory came across my Facebook feed today; on this day in 2010, John Wall’s Sports Illustrated cover came out. The feature, written by Grant Wahl, came out days after Wall’s big game vs. Louisville and describes the phenom’s rise to meteoric rise to stardom as Calipari’s first megastar in Lexington.

Calipari knew he had the nation’s top recruit, but there were some things about Wall that he couldn’t learn until the season started. “I did not know his will to win was this strong. I had no idea,” says Calipari. “I did not know his work ethic. And I’ve been surprised.”

The anniversary of his SI cover seems especially fitting given Wall’s recent run. Wall was just named the NBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month and is averaging a double-double, with 23.5 points and 10 assists per game; that’s up almost four points from last season.

I couldn’t go down this rabbit hole without looking at all of Kentucky’s SI covers since this one. Enjoy the gallery below:

Yup, that last one still hurts a bit.

19 Comments for Seven years ago today, John Wall’s Sports Illustrated cover came out

1. Tony the Liger
    10:36 am January 5, 2017 Permalink

Meteors don’t rise, Tyler. They fall.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:12 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Meteors are also fast.

• runningunnin.454
      1:27 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Yes, meteoric rise is a common expression, and refers to speed.

• Tony the Liger
      1:46 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Common usage doesn’t mean it’s correct or appropriate. If the verb is meant to illustrate movement in a particular direction, you shouldn’t choose an adverb that implies movement in the direction opposite of your intent, regardless of “speed.” If we’re just choosing words to suggest a thing’s speed, would it make sense to say “…the phenom’s cheetah rise to stardom…”? Cheetah’s are fast, too.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      1:50 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

I mean, if we’re going to be all grammar nazi, no apostrophe on cheetahs in that last sentence.

• Tony the Liger
      1:56 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

True. Never understood why A.) the term “Nazi” is so casually paired with one who appreciates decent grammar, and B.) some people who write for a living are so prickly toward those who expect said writers to proofread.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      2:05 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Because when you write thousands and thousands of words a day, occasionally typos happen — even when you proofread! — because we’re human. Normally people’s nitpicking doesn’t bother me, but I’m in the right on this (meteoric rise IS a common expression, even if it’s not scientifically correct), and as an English major who spent five years a copywriter before this job, I can’t help but speak up.

• Tony the Liger
      2:10 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

I was also an English major, copywriter, and journal editor, and am currently an instructor. My point stands: an expression’s common use doesn’t make it logical or correct.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:31 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Here’s some more commonly used expressions that you can complain about, since you need a hobby:

“I’m head over heels for her!”

I’m head over heels for most people.

———–

“You’re the apple of my eye”

Apples don’t have eyes, and eyes aren’t made of apples.

————

“Straight from the horse’s mouth”

HORSES CAN’T TALK!!

————–

“The fish rots from the head down”

False. Fish start rotting from the gut.

————-

“Hard as nails”

Nails bend easily.

————–

“Diamonds are forever”

Diamonds will slowly revert back to graphite.

—————

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars”

The moon is 238,000 miles away. The nearest star, the Sun, is 93,000,000….

• J-Dub421
      2:37 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

A meteor is simply a meteoroid (a small asteroid). Meteors are visible as they burn up in earth’s atmosphere. Meteroids, however, travel through space in all directions and are not falling. So meteoric rise would still apply. Also, the English language is rife with other oxymorons (jumbo shrimp anyone?), so pitching a fit over this one simply makes you look petty.

• runningunnin.454
      2:53 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Isn’t this fun? I’m not an English major; but, I would think here meteoric is an adjective; and, still refers to speed.

• Tony, don’t take yourself so seriously, and while you’re at it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrjmeGKoR1E

• CATandMONKEY
      4:26 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Calling out an individual for utilizing a colloquialism does however tend to make one appear akin to a douche canoe.
      Yeah that last expression makes little sense but seems rather precise in this case and always induces an adolescent chuckle.

2. runningunnin.454
    2:58 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Park on a driveway; drive on a parkway,
    Shipment goes by car, cargo goes by ship.

3. karlitopequeno
    9:52 pm January 5, 2017 Permalink

Here’s a crazy idea – how about we let the one consistently substantive writer on the website do her job without further heckling?