Seth Davis’ Rex Chapman profile is now online

@AnalyzedSports

Last week, Seth Davis’ profile of Rex Chapman for Sports Illustrated hit the newsstands, and now, it’s finally online. Davis profiles Chapman’s 15-year addiction to prescription pain killers and how that led him on a shoplifting spree which ended in his arrest in September.

Rex has since entered rehab and is opening up about his struggles, first to Matt and the KSR audience back at the Final Four in April, and now to Davis. Interestingly, Chapman admits that a lot of his problems began when people criticized him for dating an African American girl while he was at UK.

Chapman was also troubled by the backlash he endured for spending so much time with his high school girlfriend, an African-American woman who was enrolled at Kentucky. Chapman recalls coming back to his car after a game to find “n—– lover” keyed into his door. Even worse were the meetings Chapman says he had with members of the Kentucky coaching staff and athletic administration, who tried to dissuade him from interracial dating. “It wore on me,” he says. “It was hateful.” Eddie Sutton, the Wildcats’ coach then, says, “I don’t remember that happening. It was a long time ago, but I just don’t remember that.”

What about “the tweet”? It’s only referenced once as a side note when Davis mentions how Rex did the teamcast for UK this past April. (If you remember, Chapman apologized for the tweet on KSR the day of the Wisconsin game.)

For now, it’s just nice to hear that Rex is healthy and doing well. Check out the entire piece at SI.com.

24 Comments for Seth Davis’ Rex Chapman profile is now online

1. Rex's Broken Amydala
    1:28 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I’ll be honest, I just have trouble believing anything Rex Chapman says. He’s quite the egotist. He was before my time, really, but I can’t say I’m a fan of Rex the person. In recent years, he’s done more to discourage, shame, and affront the school and fan base than he has speak well of it. I’m actually quite tired of his perpetual victim claims, from the faux “stalker” allegations, these new racism claims, etc. I hope someday he gets the help he needs and makes peace with himself.

2. Bill
    1:32 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

New racist claims???

That’s been told by rex for years.

Eddie Sutton….that was a long time ago. I don’t remember that. Obviously if that didn’t happen he would have said that is a LIE

• J-Dub421
      1:36 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Sutton was so drunk during that period he probably doesn’t remember anything that happened during his entire tenure at UK.

3. J-Dub421
    1:39 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

In 2014 Rex sent the tweet right before the title game and we lost.
    In 2015 Rex did an interview with KSR before our Final Four game and we lost.
    Please keep Rex away from our NCAA tournament games in the future. He brings bad mojo.

• Bill
      1:44 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

He was at the 2012 championship game

• J-Dub421
      1:49 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Still want him to stay away.

• KevinM
      1:57 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like Sutton ready to blame Dwayne Casey once again.

4. somerset bill
    1:41 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

“Interestingly, Chapman admits that a lot of his problems began when people criticized him for dating an African American girl while he was at UK.”

not what he or the article said at all. this problem was noted in one paragraph about racism out of 30-some paragraphs not anything about racism. no where does it say “…a lot of his problems began when…”. the only place that appears on the whole world wide internet is in your blurb here. the paragraph you quoted doesn’t then follow with “…so he started abusing drugs.” it follows with him turning pro and over the years suffering injuries and treating them with painkillers.

5. Neon Indian
    1:54 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Rex seems to be desparately trying to remake his image. Problem is, he’s dug a pretty deep hole with the fan base. I don’t believe a single word he says.

• Dayne Brammage
      5:45 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Since the truth hurts, he took pain killers. Sutton the drunk. And Rex? Can’t spell Rex witout Rx.

6. BenHur
    1:55 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Was Hulk Hogan in Lexington back then?

7. Ohhh
    2:14 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Oh is this the part in the story where we say “Man this guy had it rough.” You played college ball at the University Of Kentucky and had a long NBA career. We are supposed to feel sorry for him?

8. Rumors
    2:25 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

the rumor was he was dating Kenny Higgs sister, and they had a baby. if by now that child should be a super athlete playing some professional sport. I have never heard of such an offspring, so it must not be true.

9. RICK
    2:27 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Tired of Rex, He sounds like a cry baby to me. Sorry but we all had struggles in high school and college and we did alright. Stop talking about him and Rex man up and quit blaming everyone for your failures.

10. Dennis Smith
    3:29 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

The guy is an attention whore, an immature dullard and someone that sees himself as the victim of his own behavior. There is no rehab program on earth that will fix his problems. Thank God he was a good basketball player, and still getting some attention from the press. Ootherwise he might go suicidal.

11. Stevem
    3:30 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

What would be nice is if Rex Chapman would never be mentioned in a UK context again. Here that KSR?

• inside info2
      3:42 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Not likely. KSR couldn’t stop mentioning Stone Cold Willow forever even after it came to light he was sexually harassing women all across campus, so I doubt they will easily break their association with Rex.

12. kyle heavy
    3:36 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Rex is a pathological liar. Plain and simple.

13. UKfaninLou
    3:41 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Wish everyone would stop giving this guy the attention he so desperately seeks.
    Once again throwing shade at UK. Half the world was racist at the time. Not saying it was right but it’s fact. Grow up, Rex. White guy claiming racial victim is just annoying.

• kyle heavy
      3:48 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

What’s more, I don’t actually believe that happened, anyway. I think he made it up. It would have been heavily publicized by him at the time had it actually happened.

14. KES
    5:07 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

F rex, that is all

15. Webb55
    6:25 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

yeah, i call bullshit!!

16. JLin
    11:49 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I’ve gone through this article 5 times and not one time does it say he started using painkillers because of his time at UK with his African American girlfriend. The dude stayed hurt for 15 years. That’s where it started. Why is Tyler trying to stir up something that’s not there? Making a bold statement on something that’s out of context to people who won’t actually read the article is a bush league move. Honestly, a reason why I never look at her articles on KSR.

17. Phillip Henry
    3:20 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Most of you are ridiculous. There’s a good reason I rarely read the comments section. Some of you seem to get your fun out of just complaining. I grew up in Owensboro and although we shouldn’t look up to athletes as hero’s I grew up idolizing Rex. He’s made plenty of mistakes but who hasnt. Give the guy the same break you would want someone to give you. Hope he keeps positive and that he can make something positive come from his unfortunate situation. He seems to have a good attitude.