Seth Davis calls picking IU player over Julius Randle a “mistake”

(Swide.com)

Over the past few weeks, we’ve heard that a couple of teams in the 4-6 draft range might be considering options other than Julius Randle. Randle seems to generally be the consensus 4th best player in the draft, but teams are starting to give the notion that they might look at other options depending on personal needs.

Seth Davis does not like the talk of Julius Randle slipping past some other particular players, including an Indiana player. Davis doesn’t think Noah Vonleh should be drafted before Randle, although that type of talk has started circulating.

“People who rank Noah Vonleh above Julius Randle are making a mistake. Randle is much more skilled than he showed in college.”

Randle was often times on the receiving end of double and triple teams defensively due to his dominating presence in the paint and his team’s inconsistency in being a 3-point shooting threat. Teams dared Kentucky to shoot from long range by clogging the lane around Randle. In the NBA, Randle will likely not see such defensive schemes used against him.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

14 Comments for Seth Davis calls picking IU player over Julius Randle a “mistake”

1. crazycatfan
    4:48 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

Randle is going to be GREAT!!! Without being double … triple-teamed, he will thrive!!! Just wait to see that million-dollar smile as he glides down the court after a major dunk!!!

2. ukbradstith
    4:49 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

Couldn’t go wrong either way. Noah is the next Chris bosh, Julius (despite what some are now saying) is the next zach Randolph. Depends on what your teams needs are really.

3. Dingbat
    5:01 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

I’m calling BS. Every year these GMs use smoke and mirrors to conceal their real favorites.

4. js2
    5:34 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

LINK????

5. catfan4life
    5:39 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

Exactly, Dingbat, Randle should be at the top of any draft board. Sure he has room to get better with his offensive game, but he loves the pro type game. It is made for him. Wiggins has skills, but not enough of a work ethic to be #1. If he gets hit he will go to the corners and stay there. Embiid is 7′ and skilled so I have no problem with him going higher than Randle, but he is the only one

• RandleFan
      6:29 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

EXACTLY!!!

6. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:00 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

Dingbat is probably correct. A lot of GMs like to play te misdirection game. But I also don’t discount that some are stupid enough to pick Vonleh ahead of Randle. Hell, last year Cleavland used the #1pick on Anthony Bennett.

• The Charlotte Hornets
      2:25 pm May 25, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. And the Charlotte Hornets will be poorly run as long as Michael Jordan is in charge of things. Witness last year, picking Zeller over Nerlens

7. bigbluetruth
    8:48 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

I don’t understand, didn’t the Cavs learn anything drafting Bennett. I’d take JR, Parker and even Wiggins team mate before I’d take this soft clown. He was scared to play at UK and compete for playing time here, what will he do at the next level.

8. KyTom
    9:49 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

If any GM takes Noah over Randle, it should be the last official function they do as a GM.

9. realdealblue
    10:14 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

I hate and don’t watch the NBA, but I’ve watch enough UK and college basketball since 1966 to know when Randle isn’t double and triple teamed in the NBA he will be an all star. In 5 years I’d bet and do really feel that Randle, Parker, Embiid and Gordon are all better players in the NBA than Wiggins, he doesn’t have the heart or motor to excel like the rest of this group. On the right team James Young may be a better player at that point. But I’m sure the Cavs will stay the course and screw this pick as they did last year as well.

10. Swoop
    10:27 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

I hate duke but if I have number 1 I’m taking Parker. He is a lock to be a all star for years

• Needs
      2:27 pm May 25, 2014 Permalink

Depends on what they need. I don’t really follow the Cavs enough to know what they need, but if it’s defending in any way, then Parker shouldn’t be the pick. He couldn’t guard a fence post.

11. lou eaton
    4:52 pm May 25, 2014 Permalink

Randle may wind up being the best of the group….and I think he will go at No. 4…..