Selection Committee & Lunardi agree UK is a 3-seed

msg

The Selection Committee released their top 16 teams on Saturday, but that’s not stopping ESPN’s Joe Lunardi from weighing in with his opinions. This morning, Lunardi released a new Bracketology, which, like the NCAA’s, has Kentucky as a three-seed in the East:

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 9.48.34 AM

The NCAA’s version had Villanova as the 1-seed in the East, like Lunardi’s, but Louisville as the 2-seed and UCLA as the 4-seed. I spent some time this morning comparing the two brackets. Here’s how they’re different:

Selection Committee (2/11) Lunardi (2/13)
1-seeds Villanova (East) Villanova (East)
Kansas (Midwest) Kansas (Midwest)
Gonzaga (West) Gonzaga (West)
Baylor (South) Baylor (South)
2-seeds Louisville (East) Florida State (East)
Florida State (Midwest) Louisville (Midwest)
Oregon (West) Oregon (West)
North Carolina (South) North Carolina (South)
3-seeds Kentucky (East) Kentucky (East)
Arizona (Midwest) Arizona (Midwest)
Virginia (West) West Virginia (West)
Florida (South) Florida (South)
4-seeds UCLA (East) Virginia (East)
Duke (Midwest) Duke (Midwest)
West Virginia (West) Purdue (West)
Butler (South) UCLA (South)

Check out the rest of Lunardi’s Bracketology here. I was surprised to see this after losses to Mississippi State and Georgia, but Tennessee’s still hanging on the bubble as the first team out, even more reason to take care of business tomorrow night.

10 Comments for Selection Committee & Lunardi agree UK is a 3-seed

1. Mathlete
    11:10 am February 13, 2017 Permalink

Lunardi is probably one of the few people who isn’t happy about the selection committee releasing projected seedings. It’s really stepping on his toes when 1/4 of the field is public knowledge before he hits “post”

2. rockatao
    11:23 am February 13, 2017 Permalink

I sure don’t like Lunardi’s bracket. I don’t think UK can beat any of the top three in that region – Villanova, Florida State or Virginia.

3. guindage
    11:25 am February 13, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand. Lunardi is supposed to be projecting the committee’s bracket. How can it be different than the bracket the committee released? What’s the point of comparing his to the actual bracket? LOL

• Mathlete
      11:37 am February 13, 2017 Permalink

The committee’s list is a snapshot of a hypothetical “if the season ended today” seeding. Lunardi seems to have confidence in WVU’s ability to move up and pass UVA for a 3 seed and for Purdue to climb into the top 16 teams over Butler in the last month of the regular season, but otherwise his top 16 list is nearly identical to the committee’s. Some regions change but it’s mostly the same both ways.

• looking4number8
      2:05 pm February 13, 2017 Permalink

Virginia lost since Saturday mornings announcement. Lunardi is assuming the NCAA would have dropped them a spot because of this.

Lunardi would never put out his projections at the same time.

Since NCAA is not doing another updated version until the real thing, I don’t think this will hurt Lunardi much. Especially since NCAA isn’t telling 5-16 seeds. No team who is on the bubble can gain any insight about their fate from NCAA telling the top 4 seeds.

4. plumloopy
    12:23 pm February 13, 2017 Permalink

Boy, I don’t get how UCLA is so low.

Anyway, the good news here is that we are solidly within reach of a 2 seed, possibly a high one. Would be great to win out – dunno about the SEC tournament but I think the Georgia game is my biggest worry.

• TBW3011
      1:43 pm February 13, 2017 Permalink

No shot at a 1. Need several people to lose several games to get a 2. We were the last team on the 3 line.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:02 am February 14, 2017 Permalink

Its okay. You can still win the tournament as a 3 seed.

5. 2thepoint
    1:03 pm February 13, 2017 Permalink

I know that bracket will change, because UK wouldn’t faceenough powerhouses. If the bracket remains as is I would be happy.

6. Luether
    7:56 pm February 13, 2017 Permalink

A 3 seems generous based on how we’ve played lately, but can’t argue with Joe L…