SEC coaches rave about Tyler Ulis

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

The SEC Coaches Teleconference was this morning and The Courier-Journal’s Kyle Tucker went in with a mission to ask every coach in the league where they thought Tyler Ulis ranks in the race for SEC Player of the Year. Kyle got 13 out of 14 coaches to answer the question, Missouri’s Kim Anderson being the lone exception.

As you might expect, the coaches had nothing but praise for Ulis, who was named SEC Player of the Week earlier today. Here’s a roundup of the best comments.

Vanderbilt’s Kevin Stallings

On whether Ulis should be considered for SEC Player of the Year: “Perhaps at the very top. You’d be hard pressed to find anybody’s who’s been any more impactful for their team.”

“He just a guy that plays the game exactly how it should be played,” Stallings said. “And rarely, if ever, deviates from that.”

Florida’s Mike White

“Not one other guy comes to mind as more deserving,” White said. “I thought that he was their engine. …I thought he made them go.”

South Carolina’s Frank Martin

“If it was today, he probably needs to win it,” Martin said. “You can’t rattle him, can’t speed him up and he’s tough as nails. He scores, guards, passes, controls the game, knows what his coach wants him to do. That’s what it’s all about.”

Georgia’s Mark Fox

“I would say he would be leading candidate, right now, if you were taking a poll,” Fox said.

“He’s a guy that you can’t speed up or slow down. He controls the game and he really is playing at an outstanding level.”

LSU’s Johnny Jones

“I think he’s a really solid player. I think he’s very good. When you talk about playing one of the top teams in our conference and the leadership he’s provided. Certainly think he should be in the conversation for Player of the Year because of what he’s provided.”

With his own Ben Simmons also in the race for SEC Player of the Year, Jones conceded Ulis should be one of the “top two or three” players considered for the award.

Auburn’s Bruce Pearl

“If Kentucky wins the league, then I will vote for Tyler Ulis. If LSU wins it, I’ll vote for Ben Simmons.”

“His ability to lead his team, which is still a young team, and play the entire game and stay out of foul trouble, it’s pretty spectacular,” Pearl said. “He is one of the guys I love to watch.”

Mississippi State’s Ben Howland

Howland agreed with Pearl that if UK wins the SEC, then Ulis should be SEC POY.

“He’s definitely a player you have to consider,” Howland said. “And what he and Murray did at South Carolina without Coach Calipari on the sideline was absolutely mind-boggling impressive. I just was blown away by that score.”

Ole Miss’ Andy Kennedy

“He certainly should be in consideration with a handful of other guys,” Kennedy said. “I forget that he’s only a sophomore. He plays like a fifth-year senior with his poise and ability to make plays.”

Texas A&M’s Billy Kennedy

“He definitely needs to be strongly considered,” Kennedy said. “A veteran who makes everybody around him better and runs that team and has good command and control of what they do offensively and defensively.”

Kyle’s got a full transcript of all 13 coaches’ comments over at the Courier-Journal if you want more.

11 Comments for SEC coaches rave about Tyler Ulis

1. jfluse
    3:28 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

This is just one more reason that we really need to crush LSU at home!

2. Big Kat
    3:28 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Wonder why Kim Anderson didn’t speak to it.

3. Blue_Cat75
    3:58 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

Ben Simmons is a great player, but he’s not a leader on the floor, Tyler is both.

4. CatBlue in LR
    5:10 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I said it on an older post that probably nobody saw, so I’ll say it again: I think Tyler’s our best point guard since Little Louie Dampier. Not the best athlete at that position but the best point guard. I know that’s going back a ways, but then again I go back.

• Patjoco
      9:59 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

“not the best athlete at that position” that is the dumbest statement I have ever heard CatBlue.
      to run full blast up court come to a jump stop rise 3 feet off the floor and consistently hit jumpers is not athletic? and the way he handles the ball in pressure and not turn it over and zero in on direct passes to teammates with no looks and command a team to win. Not sure what your idea of an athlete is but Tyler Ulis is an ALL AROUND ATHLETE!

• CatBlue in LR
      6:05 pm February 16, 2016 Permalink

Nothing personal, but your reading comprehension needs some work. I didn’t say he wasn’t a great athletic, I said I wasn’t saying he was the BEST athlete we’ve had at that position. I think John Wall is a better athlete than Tyler. I would even say Dirk Minniefield is a better athlete than Tyler. But neither was as good a POINT GUARD as Tyler. Now, go back and read this again…SLOWLY.

So, your jump to a quick and false conclusion is the dumbest thing I’ve heard.

5. somerset bill
    5:58 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

the long version is definitely worth the time.

i never even considered that calipari got thrown out of the game on purpose at south carolina until i read more than one coach bring up how he played in that situation in their response here. hmmm.

• catsarerunnin
      6:46 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

A HOF coach getting himself thrown out of a game intentionally just to motivate his team sounds ridiculous to me. But it is Cal so I guess it’s possible. I also hope he finally realized that occasionally playing zone,especially when the bigs are in foul trouble,is actually a good idea and can work.

• CATandMONKEY
      6:55 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

I really don’t think Cal planned it the way it happened. He may have had (getting tossed) on his radar for that game but don’t think he planned on getting T’d up so early in the game…the first technical was ridiculous. At that point I think he may have said WTH? and just let things transpire. I do not know but it sure as he!! drove us, as fans insane. It must have had an equally poignant effect on the team.

• somerset bill
      9:45 pm February 15, 2016 Permalink

actually, i was talking about the possibility that he got thrown out to add to the legend of tyler ulis–to build that first team all-american/first round draft choice resume.
      – he told tyler before the game that this is just the type of team where he could get 15 assists.
      – kenny payne and tyler each made a point of saying for the record that the assistant coaches had zero to do with the offense. that it was all tyler.

i would still probably come down on the side that he didn’t do it on purpose if i actually had to wager a lot of my own money on it. but then again.. the way he walked up to the referee at the scorer’s table and practically stabbed him in the face with whatever it was that he had to say to him… hmmm.