Kentucky Basketball Scouting Report
Opponent: Providence College Date: 11/30/14
- #23 Henton is one of the best scorers in the country.
- Will look to drive it more than shoot from the perimeter.
- They play pretty fast and loose on both ends of the floor.
- Missing 2 very good guards in Kris Dunn & Jalen Lindsey (combined 15 ppg.)
#24 PG Kyron Cartwright: 5’11’’ 185 FR.
Cartwright is a strong, playmaking point guard that will look to make plays for others. He is averaging 5 assists per game and hasn’t turned the ball over much. The freshman also averages 4.2 points per game. He will shoot open 3’s, but is 0-12 so far this season.
#32 G Junior Lomomba: 6’5’’ 200 SO.
Junior received his first start of the season against Yale and should start again this afternoon with Kris Dunn expected to not play once again. He is athletic and has good size on the perimeter. Not going to look to do much on the offensive end.
#23 SF LaDontae Henton: 6’6’’ 215 SR.
Henton is one of the leading scorers in the country averaging 24.3 points per game. He is capable of absolutely going off as seen by his 38-point performance in their 1-point win over Notre Dame. He is simply an outstanding, all-around offensive player. He is a very good 3-point shooter, does a great job of getting to the free throw line, and is a great finisher inside as well. Also averaging a team-leading 5.8 rebounds per game. 67 points in his last 2 games!
#25 PF Tyler Harris: 6’9’’ 223 JR.
Harris is a long, athletic 4-man with a lot of skill offensively. He is very creative and a great finisher inside and has a great face-up game. He can shoot the 3 as well, but is at his best facing up inside the 3-point arc and using his length and athleticism to score. The talented Junior is averaging 13.7 points and 5.7 rebounds this season.
#33 C Carson Desrosiers: 7’0’’ 250 SR.
The 7-foot senior has the size to matchup with our big men. He is a very good shot blocker and can impact the game on each play defensively. On the offensive end he has expanded his game some this season, averaging 6.2 points per game, and is a good free throw shooter.
#0 PF Ben Bentil: 6’8’’ 230 FR.
The Freshman is an outstanding rebounder, especially on the offensive end. Bentil is averaging 6.5 points and 3.8 rebounds so far this season, but should continue to receive more minutes with Dunn and fellow star Freshman Jalen Lindsey sitting out once again. Can hit open 3’s.
#22 SG Ted Bancroft: 6’6’’ 215 GS.
Bancroft played 27 minutes off the bench against Yale and should play a major role against this afternoon with the absence of two of the Friars best guards. He is an outstanding 3-point shooter; most of his shots will come from beyond the arc. He has good size as well which allows him to be a good rebounder from the guard position.
#13 C Paschal Chukwu: 7’2’’ 226 FR.
Another piece in the great Providence recruiting class, Chukwu obviously has outstanding size and length. He has played a fairly limited role so far, but may be asked to play more to matchup with our big men. He is a very good offensive rebounder.
Keys to the Game
- Don’t let LaDonte Henton go crazy. As good as all of the Kentucky players are, Henton will be one of the best players on the court in this one. He can just flat out score and if he gets going can single handedly keep the Friars in the game. I expect to see UK try a number of different matchups on him.
- Take care of the ball. The Friars have done a good job of turning teams over this season. If those extra possessions lead to points it can definitely keep this game close.
- Respond to adversity. Even with the absence of Dunn and Lindsey, Providence has the talent to hang around and make this game very interesting. Even though we have had a couple slow starts, they haven’t come against teams as talented as this one. If everything doesn’t go our way we will have to be prepared to rise up to the challenge.
- Dominate down low. While Tyler Harris is a very good player, the Friars are definitely a more perimeter-oriented team. Kentucky should be able to dominate the paint and the glass all afternoon.