Scott Weiland’s Friday Morning Wakeup

For most of us, the most depressing thing to happen last night was UK’s loss; however, one member of the KSR crew lost one of his idols. Scott Weiland, former frontman of the Stone Temple Pilots, was found dead last night on his tour bus at the age of 48, only two weeks after meeting Shannon the Dude. Shannon interviewed Weiland on November 18, and even though I’m not the biggest STP fan in the world, hearing the joy and excitement in Shannon’s voice when he talked to Scott genuinely makes me sad.

This wasn’t Shannon’s first encounter with Weiland. In 2011, he got to open up “Dead & Bloated” at STP’s Louisville show. The quality of that audio is making my head hurt this morning, so instead, I’ll share my favorite STP song, “Creep”:

This morning, I’m pouring a cup of tea out for Scott and Shannon. I expect the KSR Caravan will have Weiland on loop as they make their way back to Kentucky.

So, how about that loss?

I’ll be honest, waking up after little sleep and remember Kentucky’s embarrassing loss to UCLA isn’t how I wanted to start my Friday, but here we are. The Cats looked Charmin soft against the Bruins, giving up the most points in regulation since the 30-point loss to Tennessee in February 2013. What happened to the team that played Duke? UCLA just couldn’t miss, and instead of smacking back, UK wilted away from competition. Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe, and Derek Willis all tried to stem the flow, Ulis still hampered by his elbow, but it wasn’t enough to make up for countless missed opportunities in the post. If last night’s game taught us anything, it’s that for Kentucky to be a serious national championship contender, they have to toughen up, especially inside. Talking about you, Skal. Talking about you, Alex.

Perspective

I really hope none of you were planning to give a 40-0 shirt to someone for Christmas. Honestly, after last season, I’m not even that mad about the Cats taking one on the chin so early. UCLA just wanted it more last night, and while that’s disappointing, there’s plenty to learn from it.

Right, Devin Booker?

Is this where Marcus Lee got hurt?

Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 7.36.33 AM

Lee had to go out of the game with a head injury four minutes in, and for the life of me, I couldn’t find out where it happened. Shoutout to Trey Minton on Twitter who did some DVR detective work and found this shot of Thomas Welsh’s hand in Lee’s face, a blow that must have been much worse in person than on TV. Lee’s fine now, but with head injuries, you can never be too careful these days.

Here’s what Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe had to say

Tai Wynyard can’t wait to come help

Kentucky could use some toughness right now, and thankfully, New Zealand woodchopper Tai Wynyard is on his way. He can’t wait either:

KSR’s State Championship Previews continue to roll out

Yesterday, Pikeville beat Beechwood 42-28 in the Class A State Championship, the first of six games that will be played this weekend at Western Kentucky’s stadium. Here’s the schedule for Saturday and Sunday’s games:

Saturday, December 5
5:00 PM (6A) — Male vs. Lafayette
8:00 PM (5A) — Bowling Green vs. Pulaski County

Sunday, December 6
1:00 PM (2A) — Mayfield vs. Newport Central Catholic
4:00 PM (3A) — Lexington Catholic vs. Belfry
7:00 PM (4A) — South Warren vs. Johnson Central

Trey Huntsman will have previews throughout the day for you here on the site. I’m still bitter Danville didn’t make it.

Patrick Towles will call in to KSR

Be sure to tune in around 10:30 a.m. to hear from Patrick Towles, who announced he will transfer on Sunday. The former Kentucky quarterback (wow, that sounds weird) has been nothing but a class act during his time at Kentucky and I expect the same from his appearance today. At the very least, it will take our mind off the basketball loss.

19 Comments for Scott Weiland’s Friday Morning Wakeup

1. Stives
    9:11 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

We need Wynyard bad. Isaac needs more minutes. Skal is so soft and terrible. He cant get position in the paint to even make post moves. All turnaround jumpers and a bunch of bullshit. Can’t teach toughness and he has none of that. He needs to ride the pine against teams with good big guys. UofL is licking their chops right now. Hopefully Lee is ok because he needs to be playing over skal.

• david8577
      9:42 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Skal lacks effort, he just lacks any sort of lower body strength. Looks like just a late to develop guy to me, won’t be a “man” physically for 5-6 more years unfortunately. Also, and I hate to say this, but how good was his diet growing up?

2. RealCatsFan
    9:15 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Hearing that Scott Weiland had died was a double bummer for me this morning on the heels of UK’s loss. I was right up on stage at that show at HorseShow Casino in 2011 – I didn’t realize that was Shannon who went up on stage with the band. That was one of the best concerts I have ever attended, and now I am really glad that I didn’t miss it. RIP Scott – your music will live on.

3. RealCatsFan
    9:16 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

They said on the Leach Report that apparently Marcus has a bloody nose. Perhaps he suffered a broken nose. Will we see him playing in a “Phantom of the Opera” mask next week?

• J-Dub421
      10:15 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

And of course there was no call….

4. RealCatsFan
    9:18 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

It sure would be nice to have Dakari back this year. Not only would he help us down low, it would give Skal a big body to practice against. I think that is a major issue in the development of Skal. Hopefully just having Wynyard in practice will help with this.

• Stives
      9:33 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

What’s even worse is that Dakari will probably never get out of D League. He would’ve benefited by coming back. He is the missing piece for the team this year. We need a monster down low. All of the good teams have had one. Alex is going to be Alex. I don’t expect anything out of him anymore.

• somerset bill
      11:31 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

i agree on alex. i have been right there with cal and most everyone else, seeing the potential and thinking how great it will be when he pulls it together. and willing to give him the time on the court to do that. i think it is time to move on, though. he isn’t going to turn the corner, so cal and the team needs to. alex is a senior, but his time on the court feels a lot like skal’s–development time. some positives and flashes, but a lot of dead time that you just have to look at as gaining experience that will pay off later.

i like him, and he will be fine. he’s got his degree. kudos to cal for trying this long, but it is time to focus on other guys and stop wasting development time on him.

5. catheaven
    9:26 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Wait, wait, wait. . . Don’t gloss over the one comment that was important. Is Lee OK?

6. dean winchester
    10:01 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Soft as butter inside. Humphries may have to play more, and can someone explain to skal he has to bend his knees to box out? We will use this to get better.

7. WholeLeeShit
    10:08 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Skal is a puss. 100% of the time he is standing around with the confused and scared look.
    His game play was just like Nerlens starting out (non-existent).
    Jamal Murray – Chicken with his head cut off. He just needs to calm down
    Skal- pussy
    Humprhies – butter fingers and confused
    Poythress? All by himself. You may have been off for a year. Get the shit over it and play.
    To many softies on this team.
    Skal – waste of scholarship
    They really needed this loss!

8. The Rest of the story
    10:15 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Skal is a forward not a center, too skinny and too weak. Has a nice soft touch facing the basket but certainly not a back to the basket player. Alex is an on and off player and he is off way more than on and that sums up his career. He just does not have the drive and motor to be what his body says he is. Not the last loss for these Cats but lets hope this is a learning time for the March push. Derrick Willis deserves way more time on court but Cal for some unknown reason seems to have no faith in him. Zones will keep getting this team in big trouble till someone can shoot 3’s with regularity, just like all of Cal’s teams.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

True – he is built a lot like Tayshawn Prince. If Prince had been forced to play the 5, you would have had a similar result. I think Cal might have to rely on Humphries or even Poythress playing the 5 a little more and maybe move Skal to PF. He seems much more comfortable facing up to the basket.

• somerset bill
      11:40 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

i think skal at the 4 would be great. and great for him too, since that is where he will probably be in the nba. working out any kinks in humphries’ game at center will go a lot quicker than getting skal up to speed. the current liabilities in skal’s game would hardly be noticed at the 4.

9. rdhack
    10:26 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

Tai Wynyard says, ” I’ve got 5 fouls and I know how to use them!”

10. Jiminy Crickets
    11:36 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

After the Duke game, I posted this team would lose 6-8 games this year. We have Zero inside game, no inside scorer, no rebounder, and no toughness. Teams can clog the lane, not allowing our guards to drive, and WE CANT shoot!! 6-8 more losses coming, and looking at Cal in all of his post game pressers says he knows it too. Minus the Duke game, we have looked terrible all year. UL will kill us and Kansas will start a blood bath. Right now I’d say we are second best team in SEC behind handy, and maybe behind Texas AM too

11. Big Meech
    12:49 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

U all sound like a bunch of pu**ies. We lose a game on the road to a decent team and everything is falling apart. That team remembered the beating they took last year and were motivated way more than us. If u all can’t ride with the teams ups and downs then u aren’t real fans. We are fine and will improve and have a great chance to make another final four. Cal knows what he’s doing, u all don’t

• RexRox
      6:04 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

what he said

12. jboy
    2:37 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

We lost a game and some of our guys didn’t play well. They will get it figured out. Roles will become more defined . Our fan base can be our biggest ally and our biggest enemy. Don’t be so stupid to think that our young players don’t read and hear your comments. We don’t need to destroy their confidence and make them begin to put more pressure on themselves than is already there from playing on the biggest and brightest stage in college BB . RELAX and let our coaches do their jobs. Seems like they have a good track record in that regard.