Rupp family defends Adolph Rupp’s character with new website

With all of the conversations being had about Adolph Rupp and his character, the Rupp family established a website to further tell the legendary UK head basketball coach’s story and to disparage some of the accusations against him.

CoachRupp.com is the new website and on it, the Rupp family links old stories, debunks myths and shares testimonies from former players, coaches and sportswriters who knew him. Also included is a statement from the family in clear defense of Adolph Rupp, who they say “treated people fairly and without regard to their color, creed or religion.”

“Coach Adolph Rupp was not a racist nor a segregationist. He was a basketball coach dedicated to his players and fostering a winning tradition. Those who falsely accuse the coach did not know him, work with him or play for him. Those who did uniformly agree that Coach Rupp was a driven, competitive, strong personality who was intensely dedicated to building University of Kentucky basketball into the winningest college program of its time. He treated people fairly and without regard to their color, creed or religion.”

“Coach Rupp’s record is easily researched and stands in clear opposition to any claims of racism. In 1926, he named William Mosely to the varsity team at Freeport, Illinois, High School. Mosely was the school’s first Black varsity player. In 1948, he served as an assistant coach of the U.S. Olympic Basketball team which included the first Black player, Don Barksdale. Barksdale later called Coach Rupp his ‘closest friend’. In 1961, Coach Rupp publicly supported UK President Frank Dickey’s effort to desegregate Southeastern Conference (SEC) athletics. Unfortunately, that effort was rejected by the SEC and subsequently both Dickey and Coach Rupp received death threats credible enough to be turned over to the FBI.”

“The legacy of Coach Adolph Rupp remains having built one of the most successful collegiate basketball programs in the nation and helping propel his players on to further success in both sports and life.” [CoachRupp.com]

Check it out to learn more on the man who coached Kentucky basketball for 41 years.

Article written by Drew Franklin

47 Comments for Rupp family defends Adolph Rupp’s character with new website

1. kjd
    2:28 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Coach Cal needs to sit down with the entire team and read through this website.

• KYCat4EVER
      8:34 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

SPOT ON kid!

I’m shocked KSR would even post a story of this nature on ADOLPH RUPP without the permission of every African American Athlete on UK’s campus giving their opinion on it and their approval!

How did this ever happen?

Did the KSR staff get a backbone?
      Did Mrs Thomas go on vacation for two weeks??

Long Live BBN … and Long Live RUPP ARENA!

GO BIG BLUE!

2. CATS-R-Gr8
    2:32 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Good for them, defend your ancestor and rightfully so. It’s baffling to me that people pursuing recognition of persons of color past a single feature (their skin) would be so vehement In demonizing someone’s personal history because of a disputable singular feature. (Assumed racism)

3. Wade
    2:40 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Rupp is the goat. Respect that.

4. bbn606
    2:48 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m disappointed that Cal hasn’t defended Rupp better than he has. If he thought Rupp was a racist, he should never have taken the job.

• 4everUKBlue
      3:07 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree with everything you said. There’s no bigger fan of Cal than me, but if he doesn’t defend Rupp I’m done with him.

5. BlueBanker18
    3:08 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Keion’s got some homework to do. If I were a member of the family, I’d want a public apology. If you’re brave enough to publicly state your opinion, you need to do the right thing to combat the fallout of misinforming your tens of thousands of followers on social media.

• kjd
      3:28 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Excellent point!

• 4everUKBlue
      3:31 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Agreed.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:58 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Yes. Someone admitting they have no knowledge of the facts and then all but accusing someone of racism sounds a lot like the old “Have you stopped beating your wife?”

• UKFanSC
      8:00 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Agree 100%…… but that doesn’t fit the 2020 narrative.

6. Bruce Dickinson
    3:58 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Should they be made to change the name of their website?

• runningunnin.454
      1:12 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

Congrats, Bruce; this comment is evidence of an ability to accurately assess the circumstances; to expose and rebuke them for what they are.

7. jaws2
    4:01 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s a damn shame that in today’s ‘internet, social media’ world, people feed off of rumors, innuendo, and false statements, and just roll with it. I still believe social media and the successful dumbing down of America’s youth over the last 35 years has been the demise of American history. Rupp was no racist and certainly wanted to bring any kid to UK who would help him win. The man was ABOUT winning.
    As far as Cal goes he could have done a much better job of handling the situation with Brooks. I’ll add this. The first time there’s kneeling or a label on uniforms that have anything to do with this so called ‘social justice’, BLM movement, I’m done. I and many others are fed up with this ‘social justice’ narrative consuming all. The people driving this narrative can’t even explain what the term means.

8. UKgrad80
    4:22 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s about time someone stepped up and told the truth. He deserves the truth to be told!!

9. bigblue98
    4:29 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Today’s society – guilty until proven innocent. Much like they’re trying to do to Mr Rupp and his family, 40 years from now LeBron James should be held accountable for his actions. His unwillingness to put a social justice message on the back of his jersey should be held against him as proof that he did not do everything possible.

10. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    4:57 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

This is all because of his first name. These racist “anti-racist” have to tear down a great coach just because he’s one of the best WHITE coaches in the history of southern basketball.

11. Wildfelinebeeline
    5:07 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Let’s not forget that some on KSR held these same (or very similar) views! No, Cal didn’t defend Rupp. But, he was caught without proof either way. Until people believe in FACTS again, this country and our history will continue to travel down this witch-hunt path.

12. Batsell
    5:58 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m proud of the Rupp family. I’ve thought all along how many times I’ve heard Matt, Drew, Ryan and STD talk on the show about how these athletes are kids and this that and the other person has family that reads and hears what we say. IDIOTS! Did you just assume there was no one left in the Rupp family that reads and hears what you say? Hypocrisy at its finest!

• kjd
      6:09 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Truth!

• rockyou
      7:56 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Batsell, you are on the money, the snowflakes can badmouth and denigrate Rupp with no proof of anything, just running with whatever the social justice warriors come up with, facts don’t matter.Great response!!

• mashman 93
      8:59 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

I have never heard Matt say anything negative about Coach Rupp. Ever. I am not for BLM and I am pro police just throwing that out there.

• wild horses
      10:16 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Not so fast, my friend! When the crap come out this time around I was listening to the show and he said there is information out the there both ways on Rupp and I believe he said he thinks the name should be changed.

• mashman 93
      11:32 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

I hear him say on the podcast he thought the name should NOT be changed. He said he could see why it should be change and why it shouldn’t but he personally felt the name should be left alone. Now, that was a couple of weeks back maybe he had changed but I know what I heard that day. It should never be changed imo. If you don’t like that name then build a new arena. Leave Rupp Arena alone!!!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:00 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Batsell, your last 2 sentences are spot on (and no, I’m not the commentor that starts every post with that phrase).

13. Mtn14Grunt
    6:46 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

This should have never even been a thing.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    7:54 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Good!

15. UKFanSC
    7:57 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

It’s just a damned shame that the family has to defend anything.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      8:07 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Aren’t you the one who posted the comment “Drew, so are you telling us to just shut up and cheer?” on his post called “Reminder: Players, recruits and their families can see you”? Read Batsell’s comment above. His last 2 sentences are perfect.

• UKFanSC
      3:11 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

Wasn’t me. I’ve said a number of incendiary things on this site, but that comment can be attributed to someone else.

• UKFanSC
      3:13 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

But I agree, his last two sentences are indeed perfect

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:54 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think whoever said that was being incendiary. I thought it was brilliantly accurate.

16. VirginiaCat
    8:08 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

Enough already. The obsessive focus on “wokeness” has taken-on a cult-like dimension that is void of common sense and proportionality. Get a grip. It’s a case of the tail wagging the dog and I sense that the dog is increasingly annoyed.

17. jaws2
    9:14 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

The DOGS are definitely annoyed. I can only pray that for grandchildren this ‘fad’ will pass.

18. Big Sexy
    11:42 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know what Rupps beliefs were and neither do most others. However, facts and evidence do not matter to the Left. This cancel culture is out to get everyone that is not 100% behind them. Social Justice Warriors are some of the worst of people. Hope you guys didn’t tell an offensive joke back in 1987. You could lose your livelihood if gets out.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:20 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

True. There was a time in my life that I used racist words that I don’t now, and it’s because my one time youth minister discussed why it was wrong during a youth devotional a looong time ago.

19. dcforuk
    11:54 pm September 10, 2020 Permalink

There’s gotta be some Forest Gump quote of the day wisdom in all this somewhere? Let’s try, shall we? 2020 has been a box of chocolates! We should do the best with what God gave us! If you feel in trouble in 2020, don’t be brave. Just run! 2020 has made me pretty tired. I think I’ll go home now! Wait, I am working from home already! 2020 has not been normal, but “what’s normal anyways.” Can someone explain 2020 so I can understand it? Is it true what was said in the movie that “you’ve got to put the past behind you before you can move on?”

20. runningunnin.454
    1:37 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I have tried to defend Coach Rupp here on ksr to the best of my ability; and I have tried to do so with facts. Actions speak louder than words; his actions to help several young African-Americans realize their dream; to play high school basketball, to obtain a scholarship to a prestigious university in Pittsburgh, to play on the U.S. Olympic team.
    CoachRupp.com has many of those same stories; the one I had never heard was from Neil Reed, Assist.Coach ’63-’65 about a dozen boosters chastising Coach for recruiting Wes Unseld…Rupp threw them out of his office, and told them never come back. The language was quite colorful, ha ha.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      7:16 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never heard that one. That’s a great story.

21. Trinity45
    8:26 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

What amazes me is how stupid and or lazy people are when it comes to the truth. They take a random tweet or something and run with it like it is fact yet are too lazy to actually look for the truth themselves. As a military vet I will not admonish someone for expressing themselves but when your expression tarnishes another and you have not done your homework this disappoints me greatly.

22. itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
    11:56 am September 11, 2020 Permalink

The African American studies department at UK needs to, respectfully, f*ck off

• mashman 93
      2:06 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

Bravo sir.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      2:53 pm September 12, 2020 Permalink

That approach is not helpful.

23. joseph_daniel
    4:58 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

The history and tradition of Kentucky Basketball play a great role in our success. Having said that, Recruiting is the life blood of the program. I think Cal and KSR have been handling this situation with kid gloves because of the current state of the social culture in our nation. This is not a tough question for anyone who loves KY basketball. In fact, it’s not even a question at all. Rupp Arena shall stand.

Praise Jesus that the Rupp family is fighting. May The Lord protect what Adolph Rupp worked a lifetime for. I’m thankful that this looks like it will pass.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:57 pm September 11, 2020 Permalink

KSR is handling it with kid gloves because Matt doesn’t have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the mob on this.