Rupp Arena one of Seth Davis’ Top 10 College Basketball Arenas

As Kentucky fans, we may quibble about Rupp Arena from time to time, specifically the aloof atmosphere in the lower level, but there’s no denying that when Rupp’s rocking, it’s one of the best environments in college basketball. Seth Davis agrees. Yesterday, he ranked Rupp seventh on his list of the ten best venues in college basketball.

“Aesthetically speaking, there is nothing particularly interesting about Rupp Arena. It lacks the immensity of the Carrier Dome, the contours of the Dean Dome, the intimacy of Cameron or the historic charm of Hinkle. Yet when you go to a game at Rupp you always feel like you are at a big-time event. That’s because it is filled to the rim with more than 20,000 of the most rabid college basketball fans in the nation. No state has a more passionate love affair with its team, and Rupp’s location in downtown Lexington reflects how the Wildcats serve as the heartbeat of the Bluegrass. To step into Rupp is to hear the voice of Cawood Ledford, who called Kentucky games on radio for 39 years, or spy the specter of Bill Keightley, the team’s equipment manager for 48 years. Aside from the many UK victories (the Cats have won 89 percent of their games there), Rupp was also the setting for one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournament history, when Villanova beat Georgetown in the 1985 championship game.”

The rest of the list includes the usual suspects. Kansas’ Allen Fieldhouse is No. 1, followed by Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke, Butler’s Hinkle Fieldhouse, the Palestra at Penn, and Indiana’s Assembly Hall. North Carolina’s Dena Dome makes the cut too, although I’d argue it makes Rupp look like MTV Spring Break 2000.

Check it all out at the link below, along with some old videos just because.

[The Athletic]

6 Comments for Rupp Arena one of Seth Davis’ Top 10 College Basketball Arenas

1. Bluebird
    6:27 pm July 10, 2020 Permalink

Out of innocent curiosity, if you had to rename it, who would you folks rename it after?

Joe B. Hall seems like a good one. Bill Keightley?

2. CrystalBall
    6:35 pm July 10, 2020 Permalink

Just name it “The Lexington Arena”. That should be safe and unoffensive.

3. kykid16
    6:37 pm July 10, 2020 Permalink

As long as UK plays in that building, it should stay Rupp! When building is retired, the name can as well!

4. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:37 pm July 10, 2020 Permalink

What an honor.

5. Jpcat15
    7:26 pm July 10, 2020 Permalink

I have been to every one of the arenas ranked ahead of Rupp. I will take Rupp. The only one I would put close is Allen Fieldhouse. People in Lexington don’t understand how cool the whole experience at Rupp is. The pregame activity in the bars connected to the arena that helps build the anticipation before tipoff is unmatched and then you stroll into the arena that is filled to the rafters. It is an experience that you don’t get at those other arenas. Cameron is a glorified high school gym or D3 gym. Assembly Hall, please- not in the same ballpark. I would put Arkansas arena ahead of nearly every arena on that list. I do hate the calling of the Hogs though-lol. A couple of Missouri alums went to Rupp with me last year for the 1st time and they said the entire pregame and game combination was unmatched. I think UK fans that get to to a lot of games are spoiled. In the end, these debates are purely based on what you are looking for in your game day experience. I know folks that love Cameron. I have been twice and thought it was a dump. Lol, some folks love Wrigley Field and I think it is a dump, too.

6. Rick_S