ncb_msv-rupp_800

Congratulations, Rupp Arena! You did it!

Something called a StadiumJourney.com ranked the arenas of all 351 Division I basketball programs and UK’s Rupp Arena finished first atop the list. The website claims to have visited every arena over the last four years (I don’t believe that for one second) and ranked the venues based on food and beverage, atmosphere, surrounding area, fans, access, overall return on investment, and a “catchall category for any extras.”

Here’s what the S-J (that’s what we’re calling it) had to say about our favorite hangout:

1.) Rupp Arena – Home of the Kentucky Wildcats

Named for 41-year and 4-time National Champion coach Adolph Rupp, this 23,000 seat venue in downtown Lexington, Kentucky, routinely draws over 24,000 spectators for marquee matchups. The eight NCAA Championship banners hanging from the rafters greet all fans as they enter Rupp Arena and provide a reminder of the history and tradition of the Kentucky basketball program.

Coming in a close second was Syracuse’s Carrier Dome, followed by the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Creighton’s CenturyLink Center, and Utah’s Dee Glen Smith Spectrum, which I had never heard of until this very moment.

Check out the entire list here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Rupp Arena named No. 1 college basketball arena by thing that ranks college basketball arenas

1. Howie Lindsey
    5:08 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

How could this be? We all know that the Yum Center is the best arena in the country. This must not be a credible source.

2. Kevin Stallings
    5:09 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

The fact that Memorial Gym was omitted has made me bite a towel and cry. But, at least I can look forward to going home, rubbing olive oil over my beautiful naked body, and playing Twister alone on a sheetless waterbed.

3. Clay Travis
    5:12 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Matt Jones Says:
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:57 am
    “I am not going to make a post on the subject. But travel in recruiting circles and you won’t find anyone who thinks that program is clean. You are free to have any feeling about Calipari u wish but I am not a fan of his tactics on building a program.”

“You just knew it was gonna happen deep down. Karma is a weird thing and it strikes at weird times and you just couldnt imagine that Memphis would really be allowed to win a national title. With a team full of players that had run-ins with the authorities, after the fight earlier this season at UAB, after their constant problems with free throw shooting and Coach Calipari’s mocking of it as an issue and the coach’s less than stellar reputation with the NCAA, you just HAD to think that it would catch up with them.”

“As for Memphis, you just knew this would happen. All year, they have laughed in the face of those who said you didnt need to hit free throws to win, and it was those free throws that lost the game. I make jokes about this Memphis team and I do have some problems with how Calipari runs his program.”

• Rei
      5:15 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Yeah yeah and Pitino never cheated on his wife, it was a set up.

• DH
      5:18 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

That’s the 2nd time you’ve copied and pasted that in response to a post that had nothing to do with Cal. Sorry your life sucks so much. Maybe you could try finger painting, or something

• Clay Travis likes dudes
      5:28 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for posting Clay Travis. Your objective worked. After reading your post I am no longer going to a fan of Kentucky. I hope the rest of you on this site will join in leaving the Big Blue Nation. Maybe there is room on the L1C4 train. On my way home today I am going to get some Meth, hookers, tats, Crown Royal, a flat bill hat, gold teeth, gold chains, malt liquor, a line beard, date my mom, date my sister, become a complete idiot, and I will do it in true Card fan fashion……I will steal it. L1C4 dawg! Bobby P and Ricky P 4 Life. Hide your volleyball team because me and the boys is comin for em. Go Cards dawg. (throwin up my L)

• Chester KSR
      5:52 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

You people are stupid. Not everyone who trolls on this site is a Louisville fan.

• Buckets
      10:31 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

You sure are persistent with your trolling, as lame as it is. You have that going for you, at least. I mean you obviously have nothing else going on in your life, but you are persistent. Your parents must be so proud with what you are doing with your life.

Our son the internet troll! LMAO

4. Jesse
    5:30 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Congrats Meeks. Just wanted to bring up this topic, I am 17 and wanted to get others opinions, in my opinion UCONN is the Dook of our generation. In 4 years they knocked us out of the Final Four and National Championship. Myself and other UK fans my age can’t stand them in the slightest bit. Thoughts?

• Rei
      5:31 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I don’t care for UConn but I don’t hate them like I do Duke, Cuse, Kansas, UL. If they beat us one more time it’ll probably do it for me though.

5. schwing
    6:01 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

carrier dome? yes, please can i sit a quarter mile away from the game?

• tom
      6:09 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

The Carrier Dome IS NOT an arena. It is a football stadium

6. JCBlue22
    6:48 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

The Carrier dome shouldn’t even count. Any school could convert their football stadium’s endzone into a mock arena and create a 30,000 seat venue. Hell, the carrier dome seats almost 10,000 more people, and we still compete with them every year for the highest overall attendance. i wish we could build a 30,000+ seat arena, because I garuntee it would still sellout for every single game, even if we’re playing directional state tech.

7. Come on
    7:27 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

Hey Clay, no original thoughts of your own about Rupp being the best Arena? Boy that was really affective and creative, can’t believe the National media didn’t pick that up and really run with it. As slow as College Basketball news is right now, except for all the accolades given to Cal’s book being on the best seller list for the second week, how absolutely loaded next years team will be and the scheduling of Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina in match ups of the Elite teams in the Nation , could be the lack of punch your post carries or maybe everyone had read Matt’s retraction of those statements.
    I would think, considering the amount of time on your hands and lack of ability for current events , it might be within your pay grade to look up post from the Louisville forums during Pitinos’ time at UK and compare them to post from the last thirteen years.

8. Adam Story
    10:12 pm May 8, 2014 Permalink

I’m glad to see Rupp, Diddle, and the Bank (Murray State’s gym) high up here.