Rupp Arena isn’t to blame for shooting woes at home, says Barbee

One of the hottest hot topics in Big Blue Nation is Kentucky’s 3-point shooting on the road versus its inability to make the deep ball at home. After going 2-for-22 on 3-point tries in Rupp Arena this past Saturday, our friends at Big Blue History sparked the conversation with this bizarre stat comparison of home/away 3-point shooting this season:

When asked how the same team could be historically good on the road and historically bad at home, Tony Barbee, who filled in for John Calipari in the Monday basketball press conference, would only say, “Do you have an answer for me? Because I don’t have one.”

To a follow-up question asking why Kentucky doesn’t practice in Rupp Arena, a common complaint among the fan base and radio shows like ours, Barbee said, “I don’t think it matters. When you look at Cal’s win-loss record over the course of 10 years, it’s hard to argue about the success in that arena. The rims are 10 foot, the court’s the same length and the basketball has the same amount of air in it. No matter the background, you gotta get results at the end of the day. We’re getting them on the road, we gotta figure out how to get them at home.”

He does not want to hear anything about sightlines or the openness of Rupp Arena having a negative impact on the home team, either.

“I was a shooter,” Barbee said. “When I hear those arguments from our guys, those are the arguments of non-shooters. Everywhere we play, somebody’s got a different ball; there’s a Nike ball here or it’s Under Armour ball here or an Adidas ball here or a Wilson ball there. The nets might be tighter, looser; the rims are a different color of orange. You can either shoot the ball or you can’t, it doesn’t matter the background.”

Whatever the case — home, road, Nike ball, Adidas ball, big gym, small gym — it is wild that Kentucky shoots 24.4% at home and 43.4% on the road.

Let’s hear those theories as to why that is…

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Rupp Arena isn’t to blame for shooting woes at home, says Barbee

1. trumpetguy
    4:17 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Barbee telling it like it is. People trying to find excuse/explanation for perimeter jump shooting woes…those are for non-shooters. Some guys just don’t have a nice fluid stroke. Rondo, Wayne Turner, Briscoe, etc. You watch people like Booker, Herro, Macy etc., and they look totally different. Opposing coaches will let several guys on current team have all the jumpers they want…there is a reason for that. They aren’t going to make many……..

2. Johnny C
    4:41 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

I honestly believe that the pressure is to blame. At home it feels as if with every missed three the vice tightens and the problem snowballs. No one and nothing to blame other than being young combined with Rupp/UK being like no other place in college basketball and maybe sports.

3. AirForceOne
    4:45 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

I’ve always believed that you practice the way you play. Nearly all of the teams in SEC will hold some of their practices in their home gym. There is a difference in Rupp and Joe Craft. If he wants to prove my idea wrong, then you have to try my idea to see. I think at least one practice before every home game in Rupp will help. Not just a pregame shoot around.

4. Rob
    5:02 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Honestly, I just think it all comes down to confidence. Some guys miss their first couple of shots and right away they start thing about it. That’s why I wish when guys are struggling to shoot the ball they drive to the basket and try to draw a foul and get to the free throw line. If you see the ball go in a few times that can help.

• Miller45
      5:42 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Nate has been passing up on great looks for him that he would have pulled the trigger on without hesitation earlier in the year

• Rob
      5:49 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Yes he has Miller. He’s got to much brain clutter. Stop thinking about it and just go out and play.

5. nocode96
    5:11 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this isn’t the first UK team to not practice in Rupp, right? It’s not affected other teams. So, wouldn’t logic dictate that it undeniably has zero to do with not practicing at Rupp? Personally, I couldn’t care less really. There’s what, 4 more home games? As long as they’re dropping next month in a neutral court this seems like a silly issue to worry about.

6. Miller45
    5:34 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Luckily we haven’t been very reliant on the 3 for most of the year. I just hope we don’t have a bad game at the foul line coming down the stretch and into the postseason

7. Bluebloodtoo
    5:55 pm February 17, 2020 Permalink

Given that we don’t play any post season tournaments in Rupp, I’m perfectly fine with the current percentages. Keep shooting 45% on the road all the way through the tournaments.

8. Rick_S
    12:15 am February 18, 2020 Permalink

Keep shooting 45% on the road..The NCAAT is not played in Rupp Arena

9. dan1965
    12:55 am February 18, 2020 Permalink

Wonder if there’s any added pressure in playing in front of the home fan base,expectations higher,tightening up,etc… ? Not sure,just wondering ??

10. satcheluk
    7:38 am February 18, 2020 Permalink

Trying to find definitive answers in a random world is not unlike turning to religions to be consoled in times of pain. There doesn’t have to be an answer. It’s often just bad luck.