Rupp Arena Debate to Be on KSR Radio

beshear

Some big news for KSR Radio tonight as all the major parties to the Rupp Arena funding decision have agreed to come on KSR and debate the issue. Governor Steve Beshear, Senate President Robert Stivers, Speaker of the House Greg Stumbo and Lexington Mayor Jim Grey have all agreed to come on the show at the same time to discuss the Rupp Arena funding decision and where it goes from here. My goal in making this happen was to try to ensure that whatever the result, all parties were forced to be in the same room and they could answer each other’s questions/concerns on the issue without sidestepping. Now we will get it. I compliment all four men for agreeing to the exchange and I think it will be beneficial for fans/Kentuckians when it takes place.

Due to scheduling issues, the actual event will likely be the week of April 28th, but that gives Ryan Lemond plenty of time to get ready with all of his insightful thoughts.

Article written by Matt Jones

20 Comments for Rupp Arena Debate to Be on KSR Radio

• stevieb
      11:04 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Matt, if you broker this deal and get this done, we are sending you to the Ukraine.

• stevieb
      11:05 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

this article is 99% false and it sucks

• Rich
      11:12 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

stevieb – agreed

• BigPoppaPump
      11:36 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Mark my words, this stuff (mixing politics with sports) is ultimately going to end up costing Jones a good portion of his readers…..But honestly, I don’t care, I can get the same sports info off 1000 different sites. I’m out….

Big Poppa Pump

“I’ve got your hook-up”

• UKfan
      8:44 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

It is coming from the Daily Beast for Pete’s Sake. If expected anything more than journalistic garbage from that “source”, then you sadly mistaken. They should stick to stories about the kardashains.

• JohnnyCakes
      8:53 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Big Poppa…Don’t let the door hit you in the azz on the way out!!!

1. Impressive
    10:58 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I’m normally very critical of Matt Jones for a number of reasons. However, regardless of his intentions or their reasoning, I am impressed that he was able to get these public figures on his show. Kudos to you, Mr. Jones.

2. Chaz
    11:00 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Hard to believe you got them all to agree to appear in a public forum at the same time. Good Luck! I wasn’t sold on the renovationproject till I read what Jefferson County was allocated. Something’s amiss.

3. Dee W.
    11:03 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

This is actually pretty neat.

On another note – Matt thanks for taking that jerk to task who was being nasty to D-Will on twitter. Having nothing better to do than be nasty to an 18 year old kid is pathetic.

• BigPoppaPump
      11:26 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

If you’re going to sit around & worry what some totally anonymous person on Twitter or a web site says about somebody else, you’ve got a long, long & totally depressing road ahead of you. What do you want to do, limit Twitter & web to only nice comments? Who are you, Jay Carney?

Big Poppa Pump

“I’ve got your hook-up”

• Dee W.
      12:43 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Uh…what? Where did I say I was “worried” about anything in that post? I just happened to come across that and appreciated Matt saying it. You don’t know even know what I’m talking about apparently yet can come up with a lot of words to say nothing.

Grow up.

• RealityCheck
      3:20 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

It’s alright Dee, MamaDump ain’t so bright. He’s pissed off at Matt about the article in the comment above for some reason. Matt didn’t post it Dump, some commenter did. If you don’t like the site…buh bye.

4. Skeptical
    11:09 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Kudos Matt! I’m glad that these four people will be on the show at the same time. I also believe that the answer to all of this lies on Rose Street at the home of the president of the University of Kentucky. He should be on the show, too, to explain the university’s position. The answer to the question of “what happened” will be incomplete without the Dr.

5. SeoulCat
    6:11 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Excellent work, Matt. Rex needs to take a page out of Matt’s book here and learn how to be a constructive (instead of a destructive) force in BBN.

6. Axe Cop
    7:00 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

It’s on Kentucky Sports Radio Radio?

7. Jayone
    8:51 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I will be listening to see if a lib like Matt Jones can be fair and balanced. If he treats the governor and mayor like MSNBC treats Obama we all know where this is going. I want to know first and foremost why the City of Louisville gets funding after they have proved to be fiscal irresponsible. Isn’t that throwing money into a deep black hole, politicians?

• UK Alum
      9:11 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

At least on MSNBC they are civil to their guests…unlike Bill-O and the other clowns on Fixed News who spout nothing but lies, hate, and ignorance.

8. Riley Martin
    10:26 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

This is brilliant. When election year rolls around, people of KY will remember who derailed our team’s new house.

9. GoBlue!
    11:25 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

I’m looking forward to this, but there’s one major player missing from the list: UK. I’d love to see Capiluto and/or Barnhart on, too. My suspicion is that the real delay in getting this whole plan worked out (which is what upset the Senate) was UK, but Gray can’t say that publicly because he can’t piss off his most important tenant.

I know Capiluto has expressed that fixing/building campus academic buildings is a higher priority and he won’t lobby the state for money for Rupp until the building plan is funded. I can’t say I blame him, but the legislature needs to step up and fund both. If our “leaders” weren’t so scared of scaling back a tax break of two to put everyone on an even playing field (we probably don’t even need new taxes), we’d have the money to get something done in this state.