Roy Williams takes a shot at Calipari for attending the draft

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Tonight, John Calipari will fly from Colorado Springs to New York to watch his players get drafted, but if you ask Roy Williams, that’s not really a coach’s place. Ole Roy was on The David Glenn Show in North Carolina this morning, and when asked, said he wasn’t able to attend tonight’s draft to support Justin Jackson because of a family obligation. Fair enough, but Roy went one step further, taking a shot at “Big John” Calipari by saying he doesn’t like to attend the draft because it’s supposed to be a special moment between the players and their families, not the players and their former coaches.

“When I was at Kansas, I never went to the draft because I always felt like it was a special time for the families. It was not anything — you know, I kid John Calipari because he’s always jumping up there and I said, I don’t want to be jumping up and have a kid grab me or anything like that. John’s so good about it. He says, no, I want them to grab their mom first and then grab me so they see me on TV with them. I said, I’m not doing that, Big John.”

That sure didn’t stop Roy back in 2012:

Roy can wax poetic about letting a family have their moment or whatever, but that picture proves that even he can’t deny the impact attending the draft can have on recruiting.

But enjoy the draft from the sofa with your Co’Colar, Roy. I’m sure you’ll just chuckle away when “Big John” is on the ESPN set with millions of young basketball players hanging on his every word.

To hear the segment for yourself, tune in below around the 26:57 mark.

19 Comments for Roy Williams takes a shot at Calipari for attending the draft

1. GroundControlToNumber9
    4:18 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

“Shots fired! Shots fired!

Wait… by jimminy crickets why isn’t anyone responding?

Dagummit… it’s been so long since I had a reason to attend the draft I long forgot about 2012. Can we get our boy in the NCAA to have them take that gosh darn picture down?”

– Roy Bigguns

2. I didn’t know Ol’ Roy was a Horseman! “Stylin’, profilin’, limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin’ n’ dealin’ son of a gun!”

3. 4everblue
    4:45 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

Roy has no time for the draft…..gotta get those fake classes set up.

4. Tedington
    5:31 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

Roy Roy Roy…..at Kentucky the players ARE part of one big family….BBN….i guess I UNC they are just kids passing through to take some fake classes…….. We will keep our family menatlity, you enjoy your Job

5. binarysolo
    5:56 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

John Calipari means it when he says he considers his guys as his own sons. He doesn’t disappear from their lives as soon as they leave school. #LaFamilia

• Han
      6:12 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

Don’t forget Roy was letting one of his former players stay at a house he owned (and that player had some questionable connections). It was part of the whole Fats/Dentist/Wheels for Heels internet hoopla that ultimately got ignored when the NCAA circled back around to the fake classes.

Also, Roy gleefully threw a former player under the bus and called them a liar when they admitted they had fake classes, and then every other player on that team came together as a family to defend their lying coach. LOL.

• ^^^THIS3^^^
      (both comments)

6. Chuck Norris
    5:59 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

I bet most of Roy’s players could care less if he’s at the draft either. He may have a few rings, but I don’t see any conceivable way he bonds with his players as much as Calipari. Sure Cal likes the spotlight, but I also think his guys (at least most of them) want him there too.

7. sincitycat
    6:01 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

The Roy boy is college basketball’s biggest phony, ah shucks.

8. Reuben Cuban
    6:10 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

Ole Huckleberry Hound is most likely too busy to watch the NBA draft given he’s swamped composing and writing, after doing the Google on a certain country’s studies, in ef’fart’ to assist his players, former, perhaps current, and future. Because at Yew in See, it’s what they do – and have done – for 20 plus years …….those of which we are aware.

9. jim tom
    6:15 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

What’s he bitchin about hell he just won the title screw hom

10. 8xchamp
    7:25 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

Shut up huckleberry hound. Teach your players how to read

11. catlaska
    9:50 pm June 22, 2017 Permalink

What a dork.

12. LdyWldKat
    10:23 am June 23, 2017 Permalink

Actually sad for UNC… in Kentucky Cal is part of the family.