Rock Oliver Will No Longer be the UK Basketball Strength Coach

rock-oliver-600x600

It has become a busy June night all of a sudden from the UK news perspective. Tonight KSR has learned that Rock Oliver will no longer be the UK Men’s Basketball Strength and Conditioning Coach and has decided to move to an Administrative role working with all UK sports. The move comes after a number of years in the role with John Calipari and the UK Basketball program is currently now looking for his replacement (they have the job opening posted on their site). Rock will remain with the University in an undisclosed administrative role but will no longer be handling the day-to-day conditioning of the UK Basketball team.

I am a huge fan of Rock and he is a great guy who has done wonderful things for the University going back to the early days of Rick Pitino. We wish him the best in his new gig with UK and I personally hope that the new role will mean he can’t embarrass me anymore during the conditioning drills at the Calipari Fantasy Camp.

Article written by Matt Jones

7 Comments for Rock Oliver Will No Longer be the UK Basketball Strength Coach

1. GroundControlToNumber9
    8:44 pm June 24, 2015 Permalink

Rock is standing with the 2 most athletic specimens that UK sports has developed… EVER.

One from Basketball & One from Football.

Go Big BLue!

2. Bluecat15
    8:46 pm June 24, 2015 Permalink

Thank you Rock and congrats on your promotion!!!

3. SoCal Wil
    10:25 pm June 24, 2015 Permalink

I guess WCS gaining 20 pounds of muscle and adding inches to his vertical just months after leaving Rock opened Cal’s eyes to the new ways available….

4. John
    10:34 pm June 24, 2015 Permalink

Could not agree more with SoCal Wil.

5. Bullitt County UK fan
    11:31 pm June 24, 2015 Permalink

I always felt that Calipari’s greatest weakness was not paying enough attention to strength and conditioning during the season. This might have led to his players and teams to be weaker and get out rebounded and play weaker then smaller, less talented but more physical opponents. Take Dakari Johnson for example. His body mass index, body fat percentage and even his vertical leap were much better at UK’s preseason combine then his numbers at the NBA combine. Nearly all of our players greatly improve their physical stature and muscle after leaving Kentucky and before the draft. I feel if Cal paid more attention to drills and weight lifting in practice and ran less game scrimmages, our teams would be much stronger and improve during the season.

• LexJim
      12:14 am June 25, 2015 Permalink

Bullitt County UK fan, I’m calling you out. You are obviously Ryan Lemond posing as someone from Bullitt County. I think I know what you meant but the example you used proved exactly the opposite. So Ryan, don’t be posing like that again.

6. StoopsTroopsready
    12:45 pm June 25, 2015 Permalink

I’m kinda glad he’s gone he wasn’t doing anything with Willie or Nerlens never have that push I think we should hire this guy who helped train John wall and Anthony Davis he’s even training so UK football recruits. I think his name was Dwayne and he’s a natural in Lexington he used to own powerhouse gyms all over the state