ROAR-son or RAW-son?

Last week UK sent out a release to get us all on the same page with the pronunciation of Slice’s name. “The correct pronunciation of Rohrssen is Raw-son,” it read.

Today’s release announcing the new contracts for the assistant coaches went a different route, saying it is pronounced “Roar-son.”

So is it RAW-son or ROAR-son?

We’re going with ROAR-son until Slice tells us we’re wrong.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for ROAR-son or RAW-son?

1. julius randall
    10:56 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

When UKAthletics gets its act together and sends out a consistent message of what it is…I fully expect fans to *STILL* be butchering it years from now.

Heck, many of our own fans were still spelling the star player’s name RANDALL a year after he had committed, 8 months after he’d been on campus, and 4 months into the season of watching him twice a week on TV and seeing his name in print thousands of times!

Ridiculous.

2. rahrah
    11:00 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Gotta be “Roar-son” from the spelling. Can we have him on the show and get it straight from the horse’s mouth?

3. coach cal
    11:04 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Snap…i need to re-issue a press release on the proper pronunciation of my sir name to the national media…1/2 of them still mis-pronounce my name Cali-PAR-ee, it’s Cali-pair-ee…people…

4. Steve Fitts
    11:04 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Depends on where you live. In New England it’s RAW-son. Everywhere else it’s ROHR-son.

5. Mxyzptlk
    11:06 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Unless his family has ties in New England (who can’t pronounce anything with their backward dialect that makes even hillbillies seem educated by comparison), it’s RAR-son.

• Mxyzptlk
      11:09 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Hey, it left out my O. I corrected that by adding the “O” right before hitting “Post”, but the correction didn’t show up. Weird…..

6. Coach Cal
    11:09 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Snap!…reminds me I need to re-issue a press release on the proper pronunciation of my sir name…most of the national media and 35% of BBN still mis-pronounce my name as Cali-PAR-ee instead of what I prefer…which is Cali-PERRY.

• Grammar King
      11:20 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

It’s an Italian name, and even if Calipari and his family have Americanized it, I’m not going to pronounce an Italian name with a hard “A,” unless he wants to start spelling his name “Caliperi.”

• Grammar King
      11:21 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Also: Surname, not sir name.

7. Slice
    11:13 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

just call me Slice, b$tches. No need for a last name.

8. Brian
    11:22 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Going to sound like a troll here but serious point:

A white guy named “Slice” and Kenny Payne are a LONG WAY from the staff days of Billy D/Herb/Tubby.

Hopefully he can do something besides network with runners and AAU coaches because the past two years skill development has been lacking.

9. Blue Biscuit
    11:37 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

I will take Oscar Combs’ pronunciation of Rohrssen as the correct way. I’m sure it will be good, along the lines of how Oscar pronounces Darius Miller’s name as “Dahrrius.”

10. Pitt Fan
    11:43 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

He mostly dealt with handlers and runner types at Pitt. He will be a great recruiter for UK. He has great connections.

11. atlantacat
    11:43 am May 7, 2014 Permalink

Actually it should be “rowerson.” Both “Rs” are pronounceable.

12. YT
    12:06 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

I wish i had the time back i spent reading the comments on these last two posts.

13. Tommy Kron Is Not Walking Through that Door
    12:07 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

What does Fake Barney say on this? He should know the difference between a Raw and a Roar.

14. Jordan
    12:30 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

My God I’ve been waiting for a post like this because this has been on my mind for a while. I get that Cal is Italian and it should probably technically be announced “Cali-paary”(idk if I did that ok). But when the man himself says “I’m John Cali-PERRY” (like in a commercial), then everyone should pronounce it that way. But an even bigger question is, Alex Poythress. When you see his name you add in the H. But I’ve heard Dicky V, Cal, and Alex himself say “Poytress”, without the H. Anyone know which one it actually is?

15. Alex Poythress
    12:59 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

I approve of ROAR-son

16. Darth
    1:52 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

When Poythress dunks next year, I’m going with ROHR!

17. jeff j
    2:17 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

my verdict is still out, including the cuff-links that slice is wearing………………………..

18. jeff j
    2:24 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

if/when in doubt, play the “name game song” EG : jeff jeff mo mef banana hanna ho hef ; fe fi fo-o eff.. J…EFF…………………….

19. AC Doorguy
    3:18 pm May 7, 2014 Permalink

Anyone else think this guy looks like Stoops in this pic?