You have to give it to Rick Stansbury, he’s all in with his new gig as the head coach at Western Kentucky. The former Mississippi State head coach and Texas A&M assistant told WBKO in Bowling Green that he’s seen too many WKU students walking around campus in Kentucky and Louisville shirts, and that needs to stop:

“My first couple of weeks here I walked around this campus, I saw way too many kids wearing Kentucky or Louisville shirts,” he said. “That needs to change.”

Okay, that seems like a fair request from a coach trying to rebuild a program and fire up the fans, right? Well, Stansbury took it to another level when he said that students that wear UK or UofL shirts “need to transfer”:

“They want to wear that shirt they need to transfer,” he said. “We need kids, students here that have that pride being at Western Kentucky the way it used to be, the way it should be.”

I admire that passion, but whoa buddy. Totally possible to be a fan of both programs — as long as one of them isn’t Louisville.

[WBKO]

10 Comments for Rick Stansbury: Western Kentucky students who wear UK or Louisville shirts “need to transfer”

1. runningunnin.454
    6:56 pm June 16, 2016 Permalink

What shirts did the students wear at Mississippi State?
    I went to U.K. , but I have a Georgetown College shirt, a Kentucky Wesleyan shirt, and a Kentucky State shirt commemorating their national championships.
    So, Rick, you know what you have to do.

2. trey
    7:16 pm June 16, 2016 Permalink

Willie Taggart said the same thing, just not transfer, when he was the football coach. The only die hard WKU fans live in BG. There’s way too many students outside that city that could care less about their athletics program as I did when I went there.

• ChanceyPantz
      5:52 am June 18, 2016 Permalink

Willie Taggarts comment was an inadvertant jab at WKU, saying that the reason those students were at WKU was because “They couldn’t get into UK.” *facepalm*

3. Larry Pratt
    8:59 pm June 16, 2016 Permalink

Stansbury, lol. Never liked him. Walking sphincter.

4. GroundControlToNumber9
    10:55 pm June 16, 2016 Permalink

How will they fill their classrooms?

5. onsides
    11:52 pm June 16, 2016 Permalink

It’ll never happen because there’s nothing to gain, but I’d like to play wku every year in the yum center. Or Indiana……

6. meeksfor3
    8:20 am June 17, 2016 Permalink

I bet the president and board of Trustees really appreciate him telling a majority of their student body to transfer. He does realize there isn’t enough WKU fans to replace the one who left doesn’t he?

7. Jordan
    11:01 am June 17, 2016 Permalink

Even if one day all the students are wearing WKU shirts, he won’t be here long enough to see it anyway. He’ll bolt with any kind of minor success

8. somerset bill
    11:10 am June 17, 2016 Permalink

he’s hoping to make the campus a safe space for wku merchandising.

9. ChanceyPantz
    5:53 am June 18, 2016 Permalink

Good job alienating nearly half of the student body Stansbury.