Rick Pitino on Calipari’s scandal jabs: “Mind your own business”

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Last week, John Calipari created quite the stir when he took some not-so-subtle jabs at Rick Pitino and Louisville for the sex scandal. While Cal didn’t mention Pitino or the school by name, anyone who can read between the lines knew what he was talking about.

“All I can tell you is this: if it happens on your campus and it happens with your assistants and those people, you probably have a good idea what is going on,” Calipari told Mike Lupica last week. “All I can say is most coaches have an idea if it happened on their campus.”

This afternoon, the venerable Terry Meiners had Pitino on his show, and asked him about Cal’s comments. As Rick often does, he tried to make it come off like he was taking the high road by dismissing the comments, but then went on a seven minute rant about them.

“You know, Terry, whether it’s Duke last month or whether it’s now us this month, these type of comments — you know, we’re here to build up the image of college basketball, not tear people down,” Pitino said. “I know my coach when I was playing didn’t know anything that was going on with my teammates on campus. Unless somebody was getting into trouble with the law, he didn’t know what was going on.”

“The one thing I don’t do is, I don’t live in a glass house and I don’t throw stones. We have a rule in the ACC amongst coaches, unless you’re praising each other and building each other up, keep it to yourself and mind your own business,” Pitino continued. “I don’t want to comment on what anybody says unless it’s upbeat and positive because I don’t live in a glass house.”

Terry pressed Pitino on the topic, asking him if he was offended by Calipari’s comments given his history at Kentucky. Pitino insisted that he’s only interested in helping other programs, not “throwing stones.”

“All I’m going to do is praise people, and I’ve said that about Kentucky. They do a great job with what they do, Duke does a great job, North Carolina, Kansas. All these people do a fabulous job at what they do. So, the only thing I’m interested in is taking care of my program and that’s it. Unless I’m helping my neighbor, yeah, I’m not throwing any stones.”

When asked if he’s looking for an apology from Calipari, Pitino said he might question him about it if their paths cross this summer.

“It’s just like the Duke thing last month. He says that’s not what he means. I don’t have time to find out what he meant or didn’t mean. If our paths cross this summer, I’ll question him on it. Outside of that, look, he — I take care of press conferences when I have to do them, I feel like it’s an obligation. I’m not looking to be in the press.”

What is it that Calipari says? When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one you hit?

27 Comments for Rick Pitino on Calipari’s scandal jabs: “Mind your own business”

1. Realme
    5:12 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Toot your own horn Rick, you’re obviously a real saint.

2. UK Big Broad Update
    5:16 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with Pitino attempting to stand up for himself…if he had a leg to stand on. He shouldn’t even be the coach at UL, now. And he may not be, much longer.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:26 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Someone made a play on my name. I like it. 😉

• UK Big Broad Update
      8:14 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

I thought it was good. So many names already taken, had to get creative. And so many big women in this state!

• BigBlue37
      3:04 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

So what is the Big Broad Update?…asking for a friend

• UK Big Broad Update
      6:07 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

Too many to count…way too many.

• Patches
      9:53 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

My name is Sparticus !

3. gottodoit
    5:54 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Rick Pitino simply doesn’t matter.

4. david8577
    6:03 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Pitino is a scumbag who ruined the respect-worthy house that Crum built. The once proud University of Louisville is now universally considered a steaming cesspool of the very worst of humanity. Yeah, he probably shouldn’t throw stones.

5. Chris in California
    6:25 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Hmmm. “I don’t have time to find out what he meant or didn’t mean,” yet he sure seems to have be reading up on the Duke comments which didn’t concern his team. Sure, Rick, you don’t care. #Fail

6. j4stone
    6:38 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Terry Meiners is nothing but a tool and is trying to stir up controversy. He just needs to run away with Ricky and live happily ever after as Rickys boy toy.

7. j4stone
    6:45 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

One other thing, if Ricky didn’t do anything wrong, why justify Cal’s so called shots at him with any type of response? Most adults who know they didn’t do anything wrong would have simply said, I have no comment, or I don’t know what he’s talking about. But no, he has to go on a 7 minute holier than thou rant. For Ricky to try and show some sort of moral superiority is laughable at best.

8. KevinM
    7:04 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

The worse example for any young coach to follow is what Pitino tries to spew…………only speaking positive about others is laughable. Thin-skinned Rick doesn’t have a moral bone in his body.

Of course, when lil Ricky was tied to checking out Bledsoe, Rick thinks that’s just good business.

Pitino sure wasn’t complementing anyone when Teague, Lyles, & Blakeney decommitted because they knew things weren’t what Rick said they were. All he said publically was those shoe affiliation are corrupt and those weren’t the kind of kids he was willing to recruit.

9. BluKudzu
    7:23 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Finding fault with Pitino is not a monumental task. His words and actions are diametrically opposed. He is hisworst own enemy.
    The real test, should we be up for it, is to expect anything different from him and his cronies.
    He lives in a bizarre world, where he thinks he actually brings value to others lives.
    Even the Louisville fans are humiliated by this man.

10. rexd
    7:51 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

He is now claiming to not know what his players are doing in the dorms. That is a big contradiction from the story he was telling on Mike and Mike a couple months ago. Direct quote: “If someone broke a chair in that dormitory, I would immediately go over there and get that chair fixed. That’s how much this dormitory meant to me it. It was a sanctuary.” He also uses a version of this same quote in an interview on January 1 2016. So he would know something mundane like that but not have any clue that for over 4 years 24 ‘parties’ took place. I don’t think he knew every detail of the parties but I do thinks it’s likely he knew something was going on but didn’t want to know the details. Plausible deniability being that reason. I’d also love to be there if/when Rick asks Cal about his comments!

11. nstewart
    7:59 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

With the new board members coming, & a new President, I say old Rick will be on the hot seat.
    Toot A Loo

12. FBI Informant
    8:50 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

Wait… Rick isn’t allowed to use plausible deniability but Calipari is? At UMass they were cheating on grades to keep guys eligible which is an on campus issue, had agents buying HOOKERS and jewelry and giving cash to Camby ON CAMPUS, at Memphis he had Roses brother ON THE PLANE right in front of his face, and they had players busted for PROSTITUTES, and they had players busted for starting riots, and they had players busted for drugs, and on and on and on and on and on. But now Cal is not the same guy that had banners removed at two places? I’m confused.

• LeslieAnn
      11:00 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

FBI Informant, this topic has been beat to death over the years….. Cal was not implicated in any of these scandals…. Rose and Cambry was found responsible for the mess they created. It was the schools who had to pay the price.

• j4stone
      5:35 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

FBI, do a little research before you make an idiotic comment.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:19 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

In the Rose case, the scandal was all about his SAT score, which he took before he even chose his college.

13. rexd
    9:14 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

FBI Informant. My comment never said anything about Cal or any other coach and whether they did or didn’t know about any such violations that may or may not have occurred. You seem not only defensive but also accusatory. The things you’re bringing up are things that appear to be troubling and I haven’t heard of most of. I’m not sure the problem of having Rose’s brother on the plane is? I know Cal self reported that Camby hired an agent without his knowledge that is fact. Maybe you can enlighten me on the prostitutes. We’re they hired by an assistant and performed in the basketball dorms more than 20 times? Did Cal or any other assistant buy drugs for players and give them to them? The riots what is the context that took place and where on campus? Cheating on grades where does this come from? From what I’m gathering is he may have had players who made some poor decisions and I’d be curious if there was punishment for those actions. Either way doesn’t seem like an issue that would be a major NCAA violation or even a minor one.

14. King Ghidora
    10:17 pm June 20, 2016 Permalink

North Carolina does a good job??? I guess if they’re teaching kids to cheat, yeah, they do a good job. And it isn’t like the ACC has this love fest going on. They hate each other.

15. UKBlue1982
    9:45 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

“I take care of press conferences when I have to do them, I feel like it’s an obligation.”
    Only when you win apparently.

16. Patches
    9:51 am June 21, 2016 Permalink

Rick and Hillary would make a great team

17. kjd
    2:33 pm June 21, 2016 Permalink

Pitino does his pressers, but he isn’t looking to be in the press. Then why is he flapping his yap on Meiners show?