Rick Barnes expected to make UCLA decision today

Over the weekend, Rick Barnes emerged as a serious contender for the UCLA job; according to WBIR, Tennessee has made an offer to keep Barnes in Knoxville and a decision is expected today.

Per WBIR’s report, UCLA officials met with Barnes in Knoxville over the weekend and offered him a five-year contract, after which Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer met with Barnes as well. In September, Tennessee and Barnes agreed on a contract extension that raised his salary to $3.25 million per year, making him the second highest paid coach in the SEC behind John Calipari. If he were to leave Tennessee, he would owe the Vols a $5 million buyout.

WBIR anchor Russell Biven is also reporting that Barnes was offered the Arkansas job, but told the Razorbacks he wouldn’t consider leaving Tennessee for another SEC school. A blue blood school on the West Coast? That’s a little different.

Is this just a ploy to get another raise or is Barnes headed west? It sounds like we’ll find out soon.

[WBIR]

[mobile_ad]

23 Comments for Rick Barnes expected to make UCLA decision today

1. 2Dogs
    1:48 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Why is Bruce Pearl not being considered for this job?

• cats646
      1:49 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

For real. He’s a good coach and a DAMN good motivator. I’d love to have him if Cal left.

• StillBP
      3:02 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Weather too nice in California, he’d be having his famous barbecues too often.

• BigBlueSwagger
      5:24 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

I’ve wondered the same thing…. Barnes is a great coach and good at developing players but he is not a good tournament coach, reminds me of Tubby. Whereas, Pearl is a good developer, his teams tend to peak at the right time of the season, and his teams do well in tournaments. Perhaps UCLA is worried Pearl’s name will eventually come out in the college basketball scandal & they don’t want to deal with the fallout. Wouldn’t be the first time for that with him, while Barnes hasn’t really carried any baggage with him (that I recall).

2. ClutchCargo
    1:51 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

“Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer” is all I need to hear. I really want him UCLA bound now.

3. StuckinLville
    1:54 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

He has a good thing going at UT. Yeah he’s losing guys but he also has one of the top pgs in the country coming in that everyone thought was Duke bound. I just dont get why he’d wanna take a UCLA program that’s in shambles.

• KYJelly
      5:09 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

The story is Rick Barnes name-value. Right now its sky high with winning Coach of the Year and having a great season. Add that in with the fact that he will probably not have another team as talented as this one, the SEC is improving, and his track record at Texas …. you better cash in on your name while you can

• Ridge Runner
      7:07 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Plus, there has to be intrigue with potentially turning around a former power program.

4. sprtphan
    1:55 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

FBI

5. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    1:57 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Rick Barnes looks like the emperor off star wars before he turned into a freak show

6. addyjaxlarkin
    2:49 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Brett say’s he has Texas tech tonight…
    “First team to 55 wins”

7. lexcatfan2367
    2:52 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

UCLA is no KENTUCKY, BUT Tennessee is no UCLA. I’d tell the Vols goodbye. See ya when I see ya.

8. makeitstop
    3:09 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

LA is just not a college sports town… even USC v UCLA has lost its luster in football. U compete w the Dodgers, the Lakers, the Clippers, the Rams, the Chargers, the Angels, the Kings, the Ducks… plus u get taxed to death, and sued for any and everything. Beautiful but not worth the madness.

• makeitstop
      9:06 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Hearing it’s a $5m/year deal…. kind of funny it’s $3m less than they offered Cal – but $4m in Knoxville if he gets a raise out of this, is easily worth $5m in LA so it won’t be money, it will be lifestyle and ego. In Knoxville he eats free and is a legend, in LA he’s a guy they say “hv I seen u on TV?” when he walks in a restaurant, shop or airline lounge. It’s kind of funny unless u need to be known. He doesn’t strike me as that guy. Flip of a coin. My bet is he stays. Southerner. Not an LA guy, but >$1m a year raise… gotta ponder that w a large ice cube and heavy pour.

9. Swizzle
    3:14 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Idiots for not offering chris beard. But I like them sucking so for sure hire barnes

10. Sentient Third Eye
    4:52 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

Barnes is a class act. I’m hoping he’ll stay in the SEC. He makes things more interesting.

• tncatrn
      7:09 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

That he is…and I like that he and that A hole punk sitting in Memphis have already had beef. Afraid the same story coming outta Memphis with Penny is getting ready to start spewing out of the Dores too with the Stackhouse hire….would love to keep Barnes around…but if I am him I am gone. Better history, better recruiting base, better salary…and no rocky top playing all the time lol

• tncatrn
      7:12 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

But I do hope he sticks around Knoxville. I like the caliber of coaches they are bringing into the conference… sans Stackhouse…and dont want to see that potentially drop if Barnes leaves…come on back Ricky!!

11. shelby
    6:58 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

If barnes turns them down, ucla looking bad.

• tncatrn