Richard Pitino Being Considered by Tennessee

richard

Photo by USA Today

Please make this happen…PLEASE! Jeff Goodman reports tonight that Richard Pitino is in the mix for the job with Tennessee and is in talks with the school. Pitino has only been at Minnesota for one year, won the NIT with Tubby’s players and now could be considered to come coach the Big Orange. The Vols apparently have a couple of other contenders (including former Morehead State coach Donnie Tyndall), but they like Little Ricky and are considering bringing him in.

All I can say (repeatedly) is PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN…Richard looks like he could be a good coach, but considering all the comedy that a second Pitino at a UK rival could bring, KSR is willing to even chip in money to make this happen. Plus, how much fun would it be to see Calipari beat up regularly on another Pitino as we watch the sour faces of a family that simply cant defeat their arch nemesis.

Let me start the chant…”RICKY TO ROCKY TOP, RICKY TO ROCKY TOP!”

Article written by Matt Jones

55 Comments for Richard Pitino Being Considered by Tennessee

1. Bobb Gunn
    8:06 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

After the fiasco with the Bledsoe transcripts little Richard deserves a beat down. Shame we don’t still play them twice a season.

2. kfund
    8:08 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Only one response possible, … LOL!

3. Catgrad7072
    8:11 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Just like politics; get picked because of name recognition.

4. Bobbaloo
    8:11 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Is Rick in Gryffindor? I would’ve taken him for a Slytherin man.

• CapitalH
      8:21 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

You beat me to it. You’re a wizard, Ricky!

• 4 HOUSES !
      10:09 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff get no press !

HW1HP4

5. markp
    8:13 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Just another Pitino to give hoops lessons to.

6. TDog
    8:16 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Since Daddy cannot beat Kentucky why not give his little baby a shot?

7. BigBlueSexMachine
    8:19 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

God that would be GREAT!

8. Taylor
    8:19 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Don’t see this being good news. It’s always nice to beat a pitino but seein him once or twice a yr will help dad also come up with strategy against us

• TDog
      8:24 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Louisville would always come first unless we play them in the tourney. UT is in conference play.

9. John Ellis
    8:20 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Richard took a Tubby team that had routed UCLA in the NCAAs before losing last year and turned it into an NIT team with the same players, but a year more experience. So hell yeah, hire him Tennessee! When UK thumps them every year, it will feel like a real win because the coach’s name is Pitino.

10. Far Left Liberal
    8:23 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

#RickyTop

11. Colman
    8:23 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I think we want Richard to coach UK after Calipari retires, which I hope is ten to fifteen years from now.

• GodNotGovernment
      8:29 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I’ve got something to say. I’m fed up with liberal commenters ruining this site with their bad attitude and disrespect towards Christianity. If you want to ruin people’s lives with your reverse racism and leftist propaganda, shut up and move to MSNBC.

• bluegrazzcat
      8:45 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I agree Colman. If the 2 year rule doesn’t get gone and Cal retires/goes to NBA/whatever..Jr. may be a hot commodity by then. But I think he’s just waiting to replace pops at that other school in 3-5 years maybe.

GodNotGovernment…….We have freedom of religion, or lack thereof, in this country. Don’t you have a Westboro Baptist Church rally to attend anyway? Go away…

• bluegrazzcat
      8:47 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

get done

• Michael
      8:49 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I’m tired of commenters ruining this site with their religion and politics. Perhaps you should take your comments with you to MSNBC/Fox News as well. It must be horrible for you to realize that the creator of this site, the coach of the team you love, and 90% of their players the past 3 decades are liberal.

• Stay Calm, I'm Coming
      8:56 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I was in combat and my battle buddy was a Republican, and I’m a Democrat and we had each other’s back. Funny how that works.

• Mac
      8:58 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

America doesn’t want your religious views forced on them. Go worship your zombie Jew.

• Dave
      9:05 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

GodnotGov…..since you clearly have the world most powerful deity by your side which answers all prayers, surely you can just pray these bad attitudes away?

• Please reflect...
      9:12 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

“GodNotGovernment”
      Many may find some agreement with you if you were actually responding to a post that did that…instead you just randomly throw it in where it has no relevance…don’t hijack a discussion…and don’t hold this kind of a grudge from one thread to the next…that is not showing grace.

• bama fan
      11:21 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

OBAMA!!!

• Do whut?
      8:03 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Mac perhaps much of America doesn’t want your secular views forced on them and Dave God doesn’t answer all prayers. There is nothing scriptural about that claim.

12. frank
    8:26 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Anyone more obsessed with another family than Jones is with the Pitinos?

• L1C6
      9:42 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I’m going w you and Joneses

13. Three Stacks
    8:26 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Rick’s left hand deep in his pocket concerns me in this picture. I’m not insinuating anything

14. Bill H
    8:28 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

He needs to stay where he is and prove himself to be worthy of a great job. He could ruin his career by job hopping. I think he will be a good coach. Stay at MN and prove you can do it.

• BluKudzu
      5:12 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Just like Tubby, it seemed like a great decision to coach The Golden Gophers, until winter in September began and lasted until June.
      July in Minnesota = bad ice fishing.
      Don’t blame him, I would head south too, take any job available, after enduring temperatures where sub zero is typical, there is non stop snow shoveling, your frozen car won’t start, there is lute fish festival, with mosquitos the size of bats, every year,

15. ( . ) ( . )
    8:30 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Tennessee is tryin to Stoop it up wit a pair of tities!

16. Not knot
    8:35 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Old saying: Be careful what you wish for.

This isn’t good news.
    Tired of Pitino.
    We are UK.
    The only thing this can do is make UK miserable in the unlikely event of a defeat to Tenn.
    Totally disagree, don’t see a bit of humor in this.

• bama fan
      11:23 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

UK fans are happy when they lose to UT now?

17. Chaz
    8:38 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Matt, I understand your joy at the prospect. However, a large percentage of posts right now are devoted to UL. If Pitino Jr goes to UT, how much room is there for UK? Kinda like the logjam at forward/center shaping up for Cal next year. Who plays?

• bama fan
      11:24 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

1/20 isnt “a large percentage”. Go logjam your boyfriend

18. Bill H
    8:46 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Rick JR, went to school at Lex Catholic. My 2 sons were there at that time. I believe Rick JR , if forced to choose might prefer UK. It is obviously the better job. As a matter of fact it is the best job.

• Rixter
      9:03 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Choose WHAT? Has he been offered the UK job? I didn’t even know it was open. I’m confused.

19. Bill H
    8:47 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Don’t take the UT job, stay where you are and prove you can be a big time coach.

20. BBN
    8:50 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

“Failing Upward” – See Richard Pitino and Lane Kiffin.

• Deacon
      9:13 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

This does have a Kiffin-esque feel to it. Funny they both may be given jobs at UT.

21. Al/in/Indy
    8:56 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

I can see this happening at the Pitino’s Thanksgiving table…..
    Rick….. got any prospect Richard?
    Richard….Yeah I have a few….
    Richard…..Dad did you see who Calipari’s got coming in next year?
    Rick….STFU and and give me the tofu dammit!

22. Where?Who?
    8:58 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Can’t help but feel UT is going for the Cedric Maxwell Effect. Cornbread showed up on campus at UNC Charlotte and thought he was going to play at UNC. Give it up for him though, he took his team to the Final Four, played 12 years in the NBA, and the Celtics retired his jersey. Not bad for a kid that thought his career was going to start somewhere else.

Maybe UT is hoping to catch similar magic from the name.

23. jeremy
    9:25 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Really, I mean I’ve never commented on KSR although I read every day multiple times. I wanted to comment but really there isn’t much to say. After watching daddy coaching from the stands during the most critical point in NIT championship game, me thinks he’s in over his head as it is as a Gopher.

24. BNClay
    9:28 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

As an MSU grad I am rooting for Tyndal to get the job. He is an excellent coach, and similar to Cal genuinely cares for his players. UT can be a good rival again with the right hire. I want them to be good. A strong SEC is better for UK.

• blake
      2:27 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Agree 100 percent. I also get that it would be cool to stomp two pitinos a year but I also want our rivals to be good…only helps our rpi and such and makes the rivalry more nationally relevant…hope the Morehead st guy gets the job….was he the one put old Dick pitino out the tournament a few years ago?

25. Square Peg
    10:33 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Like his pretentious father, Jr. does not belong in the SEC. He needs to find a school in his daddy’s beloved Big East.

26. Rex Chapman
    11:01 pm April 16, 2014 Permalink

Word is that big Dick visited little Dick at the time this photo was taken. Big Dick wearing goofy scarf to hide hickey he got from conjugal visit with Karen in big house. No BS

27. GoBigBlueSusieQ
    2:15 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN !

28. Ukalum92
    4:20 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

The question I have always had is don’t you have to have played basketball to coach basketball…..wasn’t lil Rick a ball boy or something?…

• Do whut?
      8:09 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Bill Belichick says the idea someone needs to have played the sport he coaches is absurd.

29. timer
    7:53 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

This would be a geat move for UT. They are looking for a coach who will be committed to the Program and not have a wandering eye…..

30. DAVIDM9999
    8:03 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Richard Pitino is going to be a successful coach for decades. I know the UK Nation (lifelong fan myself) will not like it but book it. His father was revolutionary with 3 ball and pressure. The fact he coaches elsewhere changes nothing about his genius. Hoping for good things for the Pitino’s but just the best for the Cat’s.

31. Jeff Garlin
    8:31 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

UT is a step down from Minn. At least Minn. has been to a final four!

32. dan
    8:38 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Interesting. Well before anyone starts jumping up and down or making up chants for UT I think everyone just needs to slow down talk slower etc since we’re talking about UT and Knoxville. That’s first second and third. Then keep it simple. Come on they run Counzo off with their petition after the man took them to the sweet sixteen? How about NIT, NIT, NIT!? Seems rather fitting. They ran Fulmer off for Kiffin. So why not? What the hell!

33. tenacious_j
    11:09 am April 17, 2014 Permalink

Low down, dirty snitches need a low down, dirty snitch for a coach.

34. BIG BLUE BUBBA
    9:29 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

is there a Porcini in Knoxville? Then Scumbag Daddy and Scumbag Junior can both crew in same restaurant..