Rex Chapman Will Join the JMI Kentucky Basketball Pregame Show

Replacing Oscar Combs is no small task, a position only fit for a King.  Luckily, JMI Sports found one.

After Oscar Combs spent more than 20 years providing pregame coverage of the Cats for the UK Radio Network, KSR has learned that he will be replaced by Rex Chapman.  King Rex was a Kentucky Mr. Basketball in 1986 and an All-American for UK in 1988 before being drafted 8th overall by the Charlotte Hornets.  After a 12-year career in the league, Rex is returning home.

Adding Chapman to the UK pregame lineup is a fantastic move.  He will be great on the air, but can he still do this?

w

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for Rex Chapman Will Join the JMI Kentucky Basketball Pregame Show

1. j4stone
    3:05 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

LOVE IT! I will miss Oscar, but Rex is going to be GREAT

2. whack0001
    3:16 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

I thought everybody hated Rex because of the tweets before the championship in ’14.

3. BLUEVADER
    3:37 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

Somone like Monk or Fox should do that dunk! That is sick!

4. mep59
    3:43 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

This was a very poor decision by JMI. They can say none of the players knew that Rex had made that tweet but to believe that you have to believe that none of the people in the stands, family members or fans sent a message to any of the players, coaches, team assistants or team doctors about the tweet during the two hours before the game and during the two hours of the game and that NONE of the people in the locker room looked at their phones during that time period. That’s simply not believable in this hyper-connected age we live in. I don’t even have twitter on my phone and I knew about it an hour before the game started and so did most of the crowd in the arena. You could tell by the look on the players faces and the way they played that they knew and they played their worst game of the year. Rex may well have cost us a championship because we were favored in that game. Plus he never apologized for doing it. Instead he gave one of those I’m sorry your were upset responses which means he thinks he did nothing wrong. I will not listen the JMI pregame show as long as Rex is on it and I will urge fellow Cats fans to avoid it.

5. philjohnson218
    3:51 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

This is a big mistake. Why in the world did they pic this guy? I know he is a former player and beloved by SOME. But he obviously makes poor decisions in life. And then there’s the tweet he put out before the national championship game. He knew what he was doing and never apologized. I think this is a terrible choice…..but they didn’t ask my opinion

6. wildcatdude
    3:53 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

I for will not listen. period. i can forgive a mistake as long as the person owns up to it. Unless/until he apologizes he is a non-cat to me.

7. Rebel2020
    3:55 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

I bet chapnan is a democrat and the one who picked him is too! What a screw up !

• RealCatsFan
      6:33 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know. Never owning up to a mistake or apologizing sounds more like something Donald Trump would do. 😉

8. BoogieDMC
    4:25 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

That dunk was awesome. I mastered it on a 9 ft. goal and never lost a dunk contest in my neighborhood. 😁

9. sincitycat
    4:27 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

I wish Rex the best. When he was in the front office of the Denver Nuggets a number of local Cat fans went to a Nugget game against Houston in Denver. Chuck Hayes was on the Rockets and that’s the reason we went to the game. When Chuck was introduced we all stood and cheered. Unknown to us was Rex was walking down the isle next to us. When he hear us cheer he turned and saw the blue and white shirts. He stopped and talked to us and was very pleased to see Kentucky Wildcat fans. I thought it was a neat gesture.

10. BG Cat
    4:28 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

Great choice! Rex will do well. Go CATS!

11. KatsKlaws
    5:04 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

It looks to me as if the time for the first game was getting close and they had not found anyone else to do it. I can’t imagine that he was their first choice. I’m all about second chances though, so let’s just see how it goes….

12. kampus korner
    5:10 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

I always thought Rex considered himself a prima donna, more so than other highly touted UK players. Then, after he went pro, I never saw any indication from him that he held playing for UK in high regard. What I did hear from him for years is that he thought UK was a racist school because a few idiots did or said somethings about the fact he dated a black girl.

He was virtually a ghost around UK, until he started to become irrelevant, lost his job with Denver and couldn’t get employment anywhere else. Then he starts making appearances at UK games and granting interviews like he was always a big UK fan. His inappropriate tweet before the 2012 national championship game was all about him and his desperate desire to be recognized beyond his has been status.

I understand that he was battling drug addiction and theft issues. Hopefully, he is recovered from those personal calamities. I don’t wish him any ill will. I hope he has a happy life. However, Rex Chapman has never demonstrated much loyalty or genuine interest in the University of Kentucky until it suited his needs. UK can find better former players to do the pregame show.

13. Rebel2020
    7:10 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

Well said. He is not a someone of integrity nor character that the BBN wants to represent the program.

14. BoogieDMC
    7:14 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

Rex came back every year to work out and play with our guys while I was at U.K. During the years 90-94. Him and Kenny Walker were both there regularly. I never met him, but I saw him at Memorial all the time. I know Mashburn, Delk, McCarty, Ford, Dent, Woods….all liked Rex being around.

15. UKPROF
    7:17 pm October 22, 2016 Permalink

Is this the same Rex Chapman that went to prison several years ago for stealing Apple computers? If it is, how in the world?????????

16. Bluebros
    12:41 am October 23, 2016 Permalink

HATE HATE HATE! He can’t be worse than Delk on TV. Did you see him at the Blue & White? Didn’t even button up his jacket. Standards are lowered all throughout America. But you could do a lot worse than Rex. I’ll give him a shot and I’m excited to see if he can fill the shoes of a legend.

• CatBlue in LR
      2:25 pm October 24, 2016 Permalink

Since this is radio, I don’t think we’ll ever know if Rex buttons up his jacket or even wears one, for that matter., unless Matt tells us. 😉

17. Kevin C
    4:43 am October 23, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully people on press row don’t leave their iPhones unattended.

18. EdC
    11:52 am October 23, 2016 Permalink

That’s just terrific put the low character thief who also tried to sabotage UK basketball with his Calipari leaving tweets before an important game in the booth. UK basketball fans have long memories. I don’t see this going very well for their ratings.