Rex Chapman says he believes Calipari will stay at UK

After sending the tweet heard round the Big Blue Nation hours before tip last night, Rex Chapman went on the Dan Patrick Show this morning to give an update on his comments that Calipari to the Lakers was a “done deal.” Rex maintains that he heard that from two “very good” sources:

“Two things from two very good sources – one was that, win or lose, he’s going to the Lakers,” Chapman said. “And then at halftime, was told that we’re talking to the Lakers and of course he has to listen. You know, hey, I don’t make this stuff up. You know me better than that.”

He added that he had no idea that his tweet would cause the controversy it did:

“You know, I treat Twitter like I’m talking to my friends. I’m not a journalist. Never intend to be. I interact with people. Not gonna refrain from giving information that I hear because it might upset some people.”

Rex now says he believes Cal will come back to Kentucky (“I think he will, but again, who knows. That’s what I hope, that’s what I think. But I don’t know.”), and didn’t rule out the possibility of Cal using the rumor to “sweeten his deal with UK”:

“We’ll see what happens. Whether it’s for him to get his name–sweeten his deal at UK, I don’t know. But there’s obviously something to it. Come on.”

Listen to all of his comments in the video above.

149 Comments for Rex Chapman says he believes Calipari will stay at UK

1. tvor03
    11:11 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Do we have to endure these rumors EVERY year? He ain’t going anywhere people!

• memphis
      11:31 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I think he will either retire from coaching from UK or he’ll make the jump to the NBA one last time to try and prove that his time with the Nets was a fluke.

2. James

Well said.

• RexIsAnA$$hat
      1:04 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Ruck Fex.

• I Douche 3
      1:30 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Remember, this is coming from a guy who had IREX-3 on the side of his camaro. He is getting the attention he has missed.

3. JimG
    11:14 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Amen James…..I couldnt have said it better myself.

Rex was just trying to start BS right before the National Title game…Rex is a troll.

4. DerbyDemon
    11:14 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I’m really in awe of the arrogance of Chapman. Regardless of your “sources,” you could not wait until AFTER the game to start that kind of rumor? Personally, I don’t believe Cal is going anywhere because of his health. He is here at UK for as long as he wants to be, and I don’t think he’s ready to leave. However, because of what one former coach did, that thought does stay in the back of your mind.

5. sammydog
    11:15 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Knowing Rex’s history, this is all about Rex getting publicity for his bog and new web site. The look on Cal’s face when he was asked about this last night said everything we need to know. This is all BS from Rex trying to forge a media career for himself. I think it was a bad move on his part.

• RandyB
      11:34 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Sammydog, I think you are right about Rex seeking followers, and it is a monumentally stupid move by Rex. After his great performance on TV with Buzz and Rob “Swagger” Bromley, I was all ready to join his website, but I think he has, at least temporarily, lost his credibility and mojo with the BBN. Maybe he left UK too soon, and has too much NBA in him. That mindset is the only thing I can think of that explains the tweet and especially the bad timing.

6. UKJMATT
    11:16 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

It was not the message that got everyone angry it was the timing, how he does not understand this is beyond me. He is backpeddaling, because of the backlash.

• Cindy S.
      12:15 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Exactly….what an arrogant idiot to blame our anger on a small portion of UK fans when it isn’t WHAT he said. It is WHEN he said it. Puffed up windbag. I can tell you that the silent majority of UK fans are NOT silent about Rex today. He has shown himself to be a self promoting businessman, and not the UK loyalist that he professes. Let’s see how his blog and website fairs now.

• Not Bucky Small Hooves
      12:20 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Absolutely. I will, forever, blame last night on Chapman. He better stay in Arizona and keep his mouth shut. You don’t say crap like that hours before we play for a title.

• Cindy S.
      12:49 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Just to clarify…I don’t blame Rex for the loss. I blame him for the distraction and angst that he presented to the fan base right before the National Championship game. All in the name of self promotion. We were on a magical tournament run and looking forward to a great game only to be hijacked by Cal to LA rumors. I don’t believe the players were aware or affected by the rumor.

• Diogenes
      4:04 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It is certainly possible the players got wind of this rumor. That could account for the dull spirits of our team. I, too, hold Chapman culpable for last nights loss. Eff him. He is no longer in the BBN. Excommunicated. ..

7. harry
    11:16 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Thank you Rex for your timely insight.

8. smeadify
    11:17 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I get a negative vibe from Chapman when reading his article or blogs. I said this to a friend the other day but after he tweeted cal to the Lakers before the game I know he’s a hater. I liked the chapman that I perceived him to be before he started blogging.

• UKHowell84
      11:30 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I always respected Rex from his playing days and was always concerned with his attitude toward the program and with the love he gives Louisville. This sealed it for me. Unfollow and ignore.

9. dodger1
    11:17 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I am no longer a chapman fan!

10. JimG
    11:17 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Sammydog,….your exactly correct. He was/is trying to publicize his website and make himself relevant again. His day has past whether he wants to admit it or not.

11. Blue Hair
    11:17 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Doesn’t matter what he believes. He has a large following with BBN (his name makes him an insider) even if he is not. He stole the spotlight from the players on the biggest night in their lives. Today the stories should be about what these players accomplished and the fun of the season, not about a player.

Rex is take, take take from these players and BBN. Don’t expect to ever be the Y again. Rex disrespected the players, program and fans last night.

• Wildcatter615
      12:40 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Yep, you said it best. He disrespected the players, programs and the fans last night.

12. Chris
    11:19 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

What an idiot. I’ve lost all respect for this guy.

13. Rex Chapman
    11:20 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I’m sorry.

• catsrus
      5:17 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I doubt the above post is by the real Rex Chapman but this is what he needs to do. Apologize to the BBN which has nurtured him for years. Watching him on the Wildcat TV broadcast vs WI, I thought he had a lot of promise as an color commentator but his base will be the BBN if he handles this correctly.

14. JimG
    11:20 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex is obnoxious and a publicity hound. I remember running into him and another guard who played for UK when they were there. Rex wanted so much attention from people that he was walking around the restaurant belching loudly and just being obnoxious as hell. I forgot the other player who was with him but he didnt act that way only Rex did…

He WAS a great player and now he tries to keep himself relevant…..Retire Rex and leave the BBN alone with your asswipe comments.

15. PJB
    11:20 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex has gone to the dark side. No other explanation.

• Mxyzptlk
      11:24 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I hear that he’s been drawn to the dark side since college. That actually created some controversy back in the day, but it’s more accepted these days.

• DC cat
      12:48 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Mxy, totally inappropriate. Classless.

• Zingerz
      12:51 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

OH SNAP!

16. I'M DONE
    11:22 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Let’s not waste time or give rex the clicks, ban him from our heart AND our computers

17. Richie Farmer
    11:22 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Where in the world do these ex-UK players get such a sense of entitlement? Truly disappointing.

• Wildcatter615
      12:44 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

You’re one to talk, Richie.

18. BigBlue
    11:22 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex pursued what he saw as an opportunity to promote himself…and it was a terrible choice.

19. Judy
    11:23 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

This piece of garbage knew exactly what he was doing. He’s a slob -look at his dress and demeanor usually. Wouldn’t know class if it slapped him in the face. BBN needs to unfriend this tool forever. He’s nothing more than a little fat punk liar.

20. What If
    11:23 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex is right and Cal goes to the Lakers. How much is on CAL for talking with the Lakers prior to this season even being over? If this turns out to be the case and Cal was negotiating with LA during the season, I’ve lost all respect for him and all hes done.

• Blue Hair
      11:29 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Even if he is right. You don’t take the spotlight from the players on the biggest night of their lives.

• bmt22033
      11:32 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

If Cal leaves, he leaves. While we’ve certainly enjoyed a resurgence under him, Kentucky existed before him and will exist after him whether he leaves today or retires here. Why would it be “on Cal for talking with the Lakers before the season is over”? Didn’t Coach O talk to USF before the season was over? If I was going to leave my job, I’d certainly have a new one lined up first which obviously means that I would have been interviewing, etc., while I was still employed at my then-current job.

• Tubby
      12:58 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Hell, I had my deal with Minnesota lined up and ready about halfway through my last season at UK!

21. DB11
    11:24 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

He is dead to me.

22. afidler
    11:28 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex knew exactly what he was doing when he tweeted that out a half-hour before the NCG. Especially after all his exposure with calling the Final Four game and the good press he got from it, he was cashing in on it and trying to drive traffic to his new site.

Rex, you’re about as savvy as Tom Crean when using social media.

23. arlo
    11:29 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

no clicks for rex. no clicks for rex.

24. Partner
    11:31 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

–“what if” obviously Cal wasn’t talking with the Lakers the last few weeks. did you see the job he did coaching this team? he poured his every last being into this ncaa tourney along with his players. no way it is possible to make a run like this in the midst of trying to jump to the NBA. NO WAY. BBN have no fear Cal is our man for many more years. Rex is a self hype moron and BBN doesn’t need him. these kids have the support of the entire state of KY and always will have but if you pull a “rex move” BBN will move on without you.

25. Money Talks
    11:35 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex was a Cards fan even when he played for Kentucky . . . BBN just paid better.

• RealCatsFan
      1:00 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I guess UL paid better for Unseld. How much did Samaki end up costing them?

• Money Talks
      1:24 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Unseld opted not to immerse himself in the . . . umm . . . “social climate” of UK basketball in the mid-1960s. For whatever reason, he just felt more comfortable at U of L. Go figure.

Samaki had injury issues, so the sticker on him was marked way down. Denny still got MUCH more out of him than “Fast Eddie” got out of Chris Mills, Eric Manuel, LeRon Ellis and da boyz, though.

But back to the original point. If you think BBN didn’t have to out-bid the Cards for “King Rex,” you are deluding yourself. For UK recruits, those Emery Air packages were the proverbial pork-chop around the ugly kid’s neck.

Tell ya what, try this experiment . . . cut Cal’s pay to the AVERAGE of the top 20 college coaches’ salaries today and see how long he keeps coaching for “the greatest fans in the world.”

26. rnet
    11:36 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Die Rex,I could care less about the gap tooth drug addict

27. Rixter
    11:38 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Just commenting to a few of my KSR friends, not meant to stir up any controversy, but I hear from 2 really good sources that Rex is an ass hat. Not gonna refrain from giving information that I hear because it might upset some people.

28. me
    11:39 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Anyone following him on Twitter knows he has communication issues…partly living in past, partly craving attention, maybe mostly just too much time on his hands and uses Twitter just to mess with people. A retired dude looking for people to listen to him and his opinions to get a rise.

29. Keller
    11:39 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I didn’t know Forde and a random UL message board poster were considered “reliable sources”. He talks about how he’s not a journalist, but told someone last night he tweeted when he did to scoop everyone else, which is a journalist move, and he did it before he got all the facts, which is also becoming a journalist move.

My guess is he’s got split personalities, and “former UK player Rex Chapman” has no idea when “lifelong turdinal fan Rex Chapman” is rearing his ugly head.

30. King Rex
    11:40 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Oh yea, I also forgot to tweet “UK is a bunch of racists”.

That is why I left UK when the program in its time of most dire need, that’s also why I haven’t been an ambassador to the UK program, have not been a part of it for over 30 years.

Oh, yea, I do have a website and a book I am promoting…..heck since I have manipulated my way back into the conversation, might as well do a Pat Forde impersonation…..seemed to work well for that guy.

• No Rules Just Right
      11:51 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

In Rex’s defense, one really doesn’t have to like or respect a group of people in order to manipulate and profit from them.

Ex-UK athletes play the BBN like a fiddle all the time. At least Rex isn’t asking for your vote or selling you counterfeit tickets.

Lighten up, Francis.

31. Juanita Broadrick
    11:43 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

What was the reason and timing of Rex’s tweet. I think he needs to be asked if he bet on the game. I don’t think he would but it is a possibility that it would deflate a team if it had gotten out to them

• catsrus
      4:56 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

OK Rex stepped on it.
      He made some interesting comparisons during the Wisc. broadcast: Dakari reminds him of Nazr Mohammed. Before that I thought he was like Melvin Turpin. Compared Julius to Rick Robey. That one is pretty far fetched. I would have thought of Jamal Mashburn or Antoine Walker. But I don’t think we have had a player quite like Julius as he is one of a kind. How about a taller version of Charles Hurt or James Lee? He will be a star in the NBA and bigger than any of those guys. Mashburn would have been as big in the NBA if he hadn’t got the knee injury.
      How about Marcus Lee to be our next Kenny Sky Walker??

32. Cats D
    11:46 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex was one of my favorite players as a kid. He was the guy you pretended you were making the final shot in your driveway. Since social media I realize he is a dick.

• inside info
      1:10 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

What you said

33. rnet
    11:47 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Please quit posting anything about Chapman on KSR. BBN needs to shun him so he will just go away

• inside info
      1:11 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Not gonna happen. Matt and Drew like the prestige of being seen in public with Rex when he is in Lexington. As long as Rex is a darling to most UK fans, KSR will keep supporting him.

• ConscientiousRexObjector
      2:22 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

So sad but true Inside info, his defenders in the media around Lexinton are legion, and have been making excuses for his asshattery ever since it happened – truely disgusting imo.

34. Paducah Patty
    11:49 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

I call Bull on Rex’s comments this morning. He spoke of the power of social media a couple of days before and then it’s aw shucks I just thought I was talking to friends. You had info and you wanted to be the first to put it out there. Fess up, be a man, and admit it was a mistake to tweet that when you did.

35. jaws2
    11:50 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Guy was always and still is a card guy and loves pimpino. He just dug a deeper hole by insinuating Cal was doing this to fatten his contract. He’s another past star that could have owned the state if he’d just stayed true to blue. Some folks never learn.

36. DavidPat
    11:54 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

BS like that does NOT help recruiting! Rex you were King at one time now you have placed yourself as the Court Jesters! … Davidpat

37. The Dirty Swine
    11:55 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex was one of my top 3 all time favorite CATS. Now he can choke on a D!ck and die. I hate that self serving SOB. I hope the BBN completely ostracizes his ass. He is no longer a CAT in my view. He did it to himself by being only about Rex. He doesnt give two $h!ts about UK.

38. honest abe
    11:56 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

so long Rex nice to know you. I am unfollowing him on Twitter now. I suggest all BBN do the same. we need to be more positive and always stand with our players/coaches full support. if you not into that you not BBN.

39. monte
    11:57 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex…really, before the game…..what a way to draw attention to yourself and take away from what our team is looking to do….well its over now….damage was already done….use your brain…you say your not a journalist……well here something I heard from source at UK…Rex Chapman is an idiot and should be banned from giving his opinion about this or any other UK team..UK plans to remove microphone from Rex in the near future….

• classof68
      12:16 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I hope the truth comes out. Either Cal or Chapman is the bad guy. There’s no other way. Cal should have never spent one second diverting his attention from the FF. I don’t think he did, but if he did he’s no better than Pitino. Chapman had to know his tweet would travel fast and affect the fans, if not the players. He knew what he was doing. Done deal, win or lose – from a reliable source? But now he thinks he may stay? If Cal stays the recruits are really going to have second thoughts now, which makes his job that much harder. Chapman can go back rooting for his childhood Card team for all I care.

• brain
      1:37 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Are you brain dead. Rex is the bad guy because of the timing. That isn’t changing no matter what Cal does. Get your head out of your ass.

40. Bluetide
    11:59 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

Love Rex, but he is on probation for awhile for that one. WHAT was he thinking?? And so soon after his great performance on the Teamcast Saturday night.

41. CatDaddy
    11:59 am April 8, 2014 Permalink

This guy has proven he is a clown. Where was he before all the success of the past few years??? He is just an opportunist looking for $$ and attention. The guy is promoting himself. And look at the attention he is getting! Do us a favor and don’t post anything else referencing him. Bury this clown.

• Blue Elvis
      5:20 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Precisely!

42. Shut up Rex
    12:01 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Worst timing ever Rex…. You should know better.

43. drewsster02
    12:04 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

If Cal did meet with the Lakers, hopefully it is just a tactic to decrease his media and other time consuming obligations here. Of course, maybe he is thinking that though the NBA season is longer, there is an actual off-season. He is exhausted. I love Cal and I hope he stays until he retires but this season has probably been then roughest he has been through from physical, mental, and emotional standpoints. For a while, I think he lost his joy of coaching here. It wasn’t until the last few weeks that he and the players were having fun again. While I think Rex’s timing was poor and self-serving, I really don’t think it was put out there without at least some good information. Rex is an NBA guy. I think he hears quite a bit.

44. AflacDuck Says
    12:06 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Regarding Rex’s motives -If it walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck……

45. Deepblue
    12:10 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I really don’t think his legacy will recover from this unless he at least makes a token attempt at an apology or something. At least say something like “The timing was really bad and I should have waited”. The whole…”Gee golly, I’m no journalist” gambit is going to get him no where. And wtf is up with covering your own ass by saying Cal was negotiating with the lakers to get more money from UK DURING THE FINAL FOUR! Talk about finding the fastest way to being blackballed from the current regime. If absolutely nothing else Rex has made himself look like a fool.

46. Rixter
    12:16 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex: “Cal to the Lakers, it’s a done deal. But I think he’ll stay at UK.”

Huh?

• Jayone
      1:57 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Crazy isn’t it. So which is it Rex?

47. Kyhank
    12:16 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Last nite I said I wanted to here Rex side I just did, I think he may have been drinking far to much,or for some reason he needed some attention, but for him to say that he did not think this would be such a big deal is a lie, for him to talk about a few fans poor reaction is Bull $hit, sorry Rex that’s what I believe and I am going to say that to my friends the BBN and not worry that it upsets you.

48. Fansince58
    12:19 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I met Rex Chapman a few years after he left Kentucky. Didn’t like him then, like him even less now.
    he’s a completely self-absorbed asshole.

• Yeah But
      12:22 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

If we ever ban self-absorbed assholes from BBN, Rupp Arena will become a hockey rink.

• True Dat
      12:35 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

The only thing worse would be instituting a “no one over 75” or a “20-tooth minimum” for home games. Attendance would plummet.

Can we get wider seats, though?

• RealCatsFan
      1:06 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Wider seats – like the ones in the YUM Center? Maybe they should offer “Free Ink Night” to bring in more fans to that place.

• Tattoos, Linebeards, and Headbands
      1:22 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Think I’m trashing Louisville?

Nope. Pointing out things that are worn by UK players since, well, Cal’s arrival.

49. arlo
    12:19 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

no clicks for rex The Hex’s website. he’s a self promoting closet card lover.

50. Mike
    12:21 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I have been a long time fan and admirer of Rex Chapman! Went and watched him play when he was at Apollo. What he done here is inexcusable in my opinion. I hope that Matt can get him back on the KSR show and confront him on all of this!!!

51. Nate
    12:24 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex should be blackballed from BBN for that tweet right before the biggest game of the year. What a a** clown.

52. Planocat
    12:25 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Done deleted irex3 icon from phone,never followed on twitter anyway.

53. Miss Nomer
    12:43 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Not so upset about the initial tweet — more so about how he as handled the aftermath.

54. Troy
    12:48 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

BBN remember the last mess he stirred up about dating black girls and how he was treated by UK supposedly?….. A email was sent to him from me then about not coming back to Rupp. Never got a response back from his sorry ass.

• Kevin C.
      12:55 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, people who’ve loved him all these years, likely know nothing about that.

55. RahRah
    12:50 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

This post marks the very last attention Rex will ever get from me. He literally ruined the game for everyone watching in my home last night. We unfortunately saw the tweet less than 10 minutes before tipoff. What an awful thing to try to take the attention off our young team. I am also convinced no matter what we are told, that the team knew of this and so did the coaching staff. Matt is right that not everyone is on Twitter, but in a large group, SOMEONE has recently checked in there and everyone likes to break news. But that’s my belief and not everyone’s. The timing was ridiculous AND I for one, think that after all Coach Cal has done for us, we owe him the respect of breaking his own news when or if he has some. Noticed that even though Rex is now backpedalling, he is NOT apologizing and is pretty much saying he would do it again in a heartbeat. Done with this guy!

56. Rex's Fan Base
    12:51 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It’s working! Everyone is talking about Rex. I told you there was no such thing as bad publicity.

57. blitzedanddazed
    12:51 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Let me tell you who Rex uses as “sources”, Buzz Baker and Dick Gabriel. Rex was a punk when he was at UK and he is still a punk today. Rex’s Daddy has made sure he has gotten everything he has ever wanted in life. Everyone needs to let Little Boy Rex go back to his own sand box and piss in it alone.

• SeoulCat
      3:39 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I’ve heard the same sort of take from many people in Owensboro. I bet Rex could still throw a football over that mountain over there, though.

58. Jesse S.
    12:51 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

His tweet had no effect on the game whatsoever, the ones actually playing the game were on the court, not twitter. All he was saying is what he had heard. I read plenty of Willie Cauley Stein had torn his Achilleson this site bc that’s what they had “heard” I’m ashamed of how BBN is reacting to all of this.

• Wait....What???
      12:57 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Jesse was it Rex talking about WCS’s Achilles or just Joe Schmo’s?? Big Difference.

59. DC cat
    12:52 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

He made a mistake. Next…

• Cindy S
      1:21 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

And continues to make the mistake of blaming the outrage on a small, but vocal minority of unreasonable UK fans, without admitting his timing was horrible. He doesn’t get it, and expresses no sense of regret.

• SeoulCat
      3:40 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

He makes mistake after mistake after mistake. He is a limelight whore who will do anything to stay in it.

60. Kevin C.
    12:53 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

FU Rex

61. Chicago Chris
    12:58 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I had really warmed to Rex this year and had been defending him to those who based their opinions on encounters with him in the past, but this was highly questionable behavior. Facebook is for your friends. Twitter is everyone.

Still, I agree that the harshness of the backlash is amplified by the loss.

• FearTheBrow
      1:10 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Although I would have rather he Tweeted it after the championship game was over what do you want him to do with information like that? To me the only questionable thing was his timing. I can’t see what difference a few hours would have made.

62. blitzedanddazed
    12:58 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I heard Kenny Higgs sister was quoted today as saying she talked to Rex last week and he said nothing to her about Cal going to the Lakers.

• Katmandu
      2:19 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Who is Kenny Higgs?

• L
      4:19 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

BINGO! YAHTZEE!

63. FearTheBrow
    1:06 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It’s amazing on here how many “experts” can refute something that they have absolutely zero knowledge of either way. As far as this coming up every year it’s like all these economists who are always predicting a stock market crash, sooner or later one of them will get it right. The only thing I know for sure is I have no idea, zero, whether this rumor is true, and neither does anyone else on here.

• Cindy S
      1:25 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think you understand that the majority of fans that are angry with Rex aren’t angry with WHAT he said, but WHEN he said it. The majority of people I’ve talked to aren’t questioning whether he is wrong or right. They are taking exception to his timing, and his self promotion as a pseudo journalist.

• FearTheBrow
      4:30 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Cindy, then you aren’t reading the same comments I am.

64. Kalifornia Kat
    1:08 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

If Cal’s intent is to leverage UK “to sweeten his deal” by using NBA coaching rumors – then its never been about the players, the program or the BBN – it’s always been about the MONEY. I certainly hope its not true.

• RealCatsFan
      1:11 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Cal’s best bet to “Sweeten the Deal” would have been to win the championship! No way he had the time, inclination, or ability to meet with someone in LA without it being noticed by MANY media members. It would have been out there way before Chapman said anything about it. Did Chapman ever say WHEN the alleged deal took place?

• inside info
      1:17 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

RealCatsFan–

If Cal is leaving, all the negotiations until last night would have been through 3rd parties or his agent, not Cal himself. Exact thing Tubby did and almost all coaches do.

65. RealCatsFan
    1:09 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Maybe someone should get his phone number from the guy who is stalking him and post it up on the forum. You thought Miss St fans could blow up Cuz’s phone? Wait until that one got out!

66. Jesse S.
    1:18 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

More people commenting on what they “heard” Rex never claimed that he knew last week and at least he puts his name behind what he writes.

67. Al B. Frank
    1:18 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I think at this point, Cal has more than enough money so any dollar amount would not be a reason that he would leave. Cal has said time and again that the greatest reward that he gets from his job is changing the lives of young men and their families. If he goes to the NBA, he can’t do that. On top of that, despite what Cal has said about not caring about his place in history, how could he not? If he stays at UK, at the pace he’s on… he’s a Hall-of-Fame Coach. Already 4 Elite 8 appearances in five years. 3 Final Fours in 4 years. Two National Title games in three years. He will never enjoy that level of success in the NBA… and the NBA is BUILT to discourage that sort of success by one club. Salary caps, the draft/lottery, free agency… I think Cal understands that he’s got this thing figured out at the college level. In the NBA, he’ll just be another coach. Unless, of course, this Northwestern Union thing destroys the entire system… then maybe things will change and Cal would consider jumping ship. I believe he’d sooner retire than take another job, but that’s just my opinion.

68. Soda
    1:18 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Either Chapman was stupid, and had no idea what his post would cause, or he a total asshat and new perfectly well what it would cause, and did not care. I don’t think he is stupid, and this is not the first time he has tried to stick it to UK.
    Listening to Matt Jones spend so much defending his “friend” when we should have been talking about this great teams was just sad. IF Matt wants him as a friend, that is fine, but KSR should not givethis guy a forum. After all, he is not a journalist, right?

69. Bad Timing
    1:21 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I think everyone can agree that the timing of this was completely inappropriate. But I’m not sure he had the malicious intent everyone assumes he had. Bad decision for sure and I think he’s being a little naive about why people are upset.

70. Kittyfan
    1:25 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex is an attention whore. Only an idiot wouldn’t know that his comments could be construed as detrimental to the cause, and he isn’t an idiot. I don’t care if your reliable source was Jesus Christ–save it until after the game. Please Matt, no links to his website and no more of his defensive justification!

71. BlueRedNeck
    1:26 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Listening to the interview with Chapman, I am struck by the callous way he talks about Kentucky fans as a whole, like the entire fan base is a bunch of maniacal hicks and he has no idea why his ill-timed tweet created such an uproar. Flip it around to any fan base of a highly successful program in America, and send a tweet like this out hours before a title game, and the exact same backlash would happen. It is quite obvious to me that this was a calculated move on his part to just stir up a bunch of crap with the fans. It’s like he just likes to whack on the hornets nest. It’s also obvious that he has no sensitivity or affection for BBN.

• Troy
      1:29 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

dead on….. read # 54

• jaws2
      1:51 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Someone please show me an easy way to get to #54. What do I have to do, count all these comments?

72. Michael
    1:48 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

This post is the last thing I’ll ever intentionally read about Rex. I won’t give any site – even my beloved KSR – any clicks on things related to “Ex” Chapman. Like others have said, he’s either a very big jerk or he’s an idiot. Well I guess he could be both.

73. CatDaddy
    1:53 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It is not WHAT he said or if it is TRUE or not. It is when he said it, how he said it, and the manner he is speaking about UK fans that interview. It is pretty obvious he does not give a flying F about UK and is just using his ex player status to promote his pathetic career.

74. Rixter
    1:55 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex was looking for some attention (he’s the color man for Grand Canyon University, he needs some attention)… he’s now on Jay Mohr’s show. Well played, Rex

• Free Publicity 101
      2:09 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

^ This.

Rex says thanks for the PR bump, BBN!

75. WhatTheRex?
    1:57 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I am a U of L fan, and even I think what he did was awful.

Even if it did not impact the game, it was a very selfish move.

76. UK # 1
    2:02 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex is a punk ass guy. I am done with him. BIG MISTAKE BY HIM TO DO THIS TO THE BBN A HOUR BEFORE THE GAME. He is a loserville fan in the closet well now you came come out of the closet rex. Hope i never hear or see him again. IF ksr puts him on anything that has to do with KY then i am done with them also. I mean this. PUnk ass move by him. He’s a attention whore.

77. sunnycat
    2:06 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex is a douchebag. He knew exactly what he was doing when he sent out that tweet. I didn’t know he had a blog and now that I do……I don’t give a F**K

78. Reading is Fundamental
    2:07 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It was on Twitter. Twitter. We talkin’ ’bout Twitter? Twitter? Twitter.

We talkin’ ’bout Twitter. We talkin’ ’bout Twitter? We talkin’ ’bout Twitter. Twitter.

We talkin’ ’bout Twitter, man.

79. Bill Brasky
    2:39 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Like others have said, it wasn’t *what* he said, it’s *when* he said it. He could have tweeted that any time but he *chose* to tweet it out when he did. Obviously tweeting that out right before the NCG maximized exposure. Trying to play it off today like ‘Aw shucks, I was just talking to my friends’ is disingenuous…no, actually let’s just call it what it is: an outright lie. It’s not the reason we lost the game, but it’s still a d*ck move.

80. BigBlueVein
    2:41 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

I know from a very good source ,better than Chapmans’ ,that if Cal
    does leave ,the number one target at the top of the list will be Brad Stephens.
    That would ease the pain of Cal leaving dont you think?

• art vandalay
      2:46 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Good Lord I couldn’t take that.

Boring basketball sucks

• Bill Brasky
      2:53 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Seeing as you don’t know who Chapman’s sources are – not to mention how to properly use commas in a sentence – I have my doubts about the accuracy of your “source.”

• Greg Marshall has my vote, but I don’t think Cal is leaving. But, I don’t have sources.

81. art vandalay
    2:44 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Bottom line is that for Rex’s little website to succeed he needed BBN. Does anyone care about Rex other than BBN? 100% no. What real relevance does he have? A legend in Ky, an average NBA career. Just not that interesting.

And he just burned the only bridge he had. Good luck with that website buddy. You will have literally tens of people hanging on your every word.

This contrived attempt at self promotion killed any shot you had at having any kind of legitimate following.

82. Rex, I loved watching you play as much as anyone, but you screwed up with this one. Look, if you’re going to go out on a limb with something, you need to own it, not “He’s leaving…or maybe not…or maybe…I’m not sure…I hope…well…I think…I think not…I don’t know.”

There’s a saying that goes “I said it…I meant it…I’m hear to represent it.” Come on Rex, either own it or admit you were trying to get some pub and get hits on your blog & your Twitter. If someone with the Lakers was playing you, then name names.

I’m out.

83. Randy Joe Adams
    4:44 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Real smart Rex. WE got recruits listening to this s–t! Chill Boy King!

84. Sgt. Stadenko
    5:15 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Its not what he said as much as the timing of what he said. He is a sad middle aged douchebag apparently that he would hijack UK fans sanity and the players night to shine with a tweet like that. Then to top it off, play dumb and back off the statements as if it is the 3% lunatic fringe of our fan base.

Hey Rex, why don’t you go shit in your fist

Also, where is the fearless KSR staff to call him out on this douchebaggery?

$100 says the KSR commies/censorship board/Nick burns doesn’t let this message post

85. Blue Elvis
    5:24 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Douch3 Bag!

86. Bill Brasky
    5:47 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It’s great how a comment with no profanity, just an opinion the moderator apparently disagrees with, gets censored out. Well done, KSR. Definitely how a comments section should be “moderated.”

87. LADY CAT
    6:06 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It is the timing of the comment —– and now the cover up !

88. Kevin clark
    6:12 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex fan all my life but he went to far lm done my whole night was ruin him and shepp should get a job with NY times.

89. ReX SuX Doggie Butt
    6:38 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Go bye some hair rex and shut that trap from Owensboro Ky!!!!

90. Jeff Schrembs
    7:41 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Rex Chapman did UK, it’s fans, the coaches and every one of the players a disservice by tweeting a “internet bombshell” hours before the game. This wasn’t some kind of “accident” as he knew exactly what he was doing,

Not only did this hurt everyone BUT if I was a recruit, or a unsigned recruit, this would make me pause and maybe start looking at other schools. Actions have consequences.

I enjoyed watching Rex play during his stay at UK but since then he has turned into a “look at me all the time” instigator. Now he is like a 85 year old woman spinning tales to get attention.

Today he tried to spin it but the damage was done. He was a good player at UK and his words caused the efforts of these great players to suffer. And for those who don’t know the UK players have access to their phones in the locker room and on the bench. Does anyone believe that they weren’t aware of this?

91. BigCat14
    7:55 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

The timing of the tweet was on purpose, could be several reasons and none are good. One of the talking heads on the mother-ship made a solid point, if it were true Rex Chapman would not be the one breaking it!. If it leads to Mitch sweetening Coach Cal’s deal I say get the big bag of sugar out!

92. Ned Tugent
    8:32 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

Fire up the Delorean Rex, and head back to the 80’s.

93. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    8:59 pm April 8, 2014 Permalink

It seems funny that Rex thinks it is his place to annouce what Coach Cal will do? If I was Coach Cal I would not trust him, or talk to him any more. How would he ever trust him again? When Cal leaves UK, with the effort he has put into his time at UK, I think that he has earned the right to announce it himself.Mitch also made a comment about how unhappy he was about Rex taking it upon himself to start this controversity before the UK National Championship game. So, I hope he does not want to be involved in any UK basketball projects with Cal and Mitch.
    Rex said he went on 5 different shows today to tell people he was not trying to get attention for himself, and a lot of UK fans are racist?

94. BB
    6:56 am April 9, 2014 Permalink

Whether this rumor (that Rex started) is true or not, Rex has been the bonehead of this story from the beginning. Last night he tweets Cal to LA was a “done deal,” but today he says he thinks Cal comes back to UK??? So let me get this straight…last night Rex had very good sources that said, win or lose, Cal to the Lakers is a “done deal,” but today he thinks Cal comes back to UK. Great insight.

Then there’s the timing. Tweeting that out two hours before the NCG was in poor taste. It just diverted attention from the game to himself with a suspiciously timed rumor. But according to ol’ Rex he didn’t know his tweet would have that effect: “You know, I treat Twitter like I’m talking to my friends. I’m not a journalist. Never intend to be. I interact with people.” Riiiight…because twitter is where people go who just want to share information with their “friends” … all 45K of them. I guess it’s just a coincidence that he tweeted that rumor out 1) when it was guaranteed to get the most exposure and 2) right before the college basketball season — and thus his job for the next 6 months — ended. Instead, he managed to stay relevant for one more day and gain a bunch of twitter followers, where he just so happens to be plugging articles from his website all day. What an amazing coincidence!

• BB
      7:02 am April 9, 2014 Permalink

If Rex thinks he is fooling everybody then he thinks people are actually dumber than he is pretending to be (aw shucks, I didn’t know that little tweet between me and my 45K “friends” on twitter would cause such a controversy. PS check out these articles…). Sure thing Rex. I’m sure this whole controversy was just incredibly fortuitous.